Upgrading to Droid(Not sure if this is right forum)

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been looking at smartphones for a while now, and the Droid really caught my eye. I'm been reading this forum for as long as it's been around, although I just registered recently. So now that Christmas is coming up soon, this is ALL that's on my Christmas list. The only problem is, is that neither me, my dad, nor my step mom have an upgrade any time soon. I didn't believe this for a long time, since the warranty date code in my current phone (Lg Dare) says January 10th. But, according to Verizon, no upgrades until July for any of our phones. Then I remembered, I upgraded to my Dare on my mom's line (I used her upgrade, somehow they transferred it to my dad's plan). So I was wondering, since her annual is almost up again, is it possible for Verizon to transfer it to my account again? Because this is (basically) ALL I want for Christmas. Thanks for any help you guys can give :D

BigPete

Reaction score
You can use any upgrade on any of your lines. I have two lines and I just used my wifes to get my Droid. In 6 months she will use mine to get her phone (if she wants).

OP
A

Anonymouse

Reaction score
No, my mom's not on my dad's plan. She's on her own separate plan, I live with her one week, then live with my dad the next week. Dad pays Mom child support, etc etc. I'm just asking if it's possible to transfer upgrades from 2 whole separate PLANS.

seven40

Reaction score
verizon is usually pretty generous with allowing early upgrades rather than having to upgrade exactly after 2 years. you can also upgrade after 1 year into your agreement but you'll have to fork over an additional $25-50 bucks or something like that - which is not bad. just ask a verizon rep and they can help with the early upgrade.

OP
A

Anonymouse

Reaction score
But the problem is, I'm not sure when my annual upgrade is :/ because my dad used my last annual, and idk when his is. The only thing I know is that I can use my mom's annual (not NE2, but annual), but I don't know if they can transfer upgrades through plans. I guess I'm just gonna have to get my mom to go into a VZW store with me and see what they can do.

BigPete

Reaction score
Dude, you can use any phone even across plans. The phone just has to have a "clean esn" which yours will if you get it from a store.

OP
A

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Okay :D that's all I needed to know. I just need to get my mom go to go VZW store with me next time I'm at her house.

BigPete

Reaction score
Yes, if you do it at the store just tell them what you want to do. In the UNLIKELY event that they won't do it for you just have them activate the droid on your moms line. Then when you get home put her old phone back on her line and then put the droid on yours. As long as she doesn't report the phone as stolen or do something equally misguided then you shouldn't have any problems.

OP
A

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Yes, if you do it at the store just tell them what you want to do. In the UNLIKELY event that they won't do it for you just have them activate the droid on your moms line. Then when you get home put her old phone back on her line and then put the droid on yours. As long as she doesn't report the phone as stolen or do something equally misguided then you shouldn't have any problems.

The only problem with that is that her plan doesn't allow touch screen phones D: She's on the one that's like...nationwide? Idk there's the Nationwide and the America's Choice, she's on the one that doesn't allow touch screens. I'll just get it transferred. Yay I get a happy Christmas :D (as long as I don't get grounded from bad grades).

BigPete

Reaction score
Dont worry about the plan. You will have to add the data package to her line if the employee at the store wont activate it on your line (which is unlikely). Even if you end up having to activate it yourself the data plan will only be on your moms account for a few minutes. What you want to do is not really that complicated and it happens all the time. I ordered my Droid over the phone and had it shipped. I had to activate the Droid on my wifes line (if you order on the phone you HAVE to activate on the line you ordered it for then change it) then put her BlackBerry back on her line and finally put the Droid on my line. I did all over the web in about 7 minutes.

OP
A

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Okay :p thanks. Although the people at our local Verizon store are really cool about stuff, so maybe I'll be lucky. I dunno, I'll see what happens next week. So in exactly 1 month, it's gonna be my mom's annual upgrade, and they can push it a month early if you're nice enough? Just want to make sure I'm getting this all right. So when I pay for the annual, It'll be 200 + tax, and come with 16gb SD card right?

BigPete

Reaction score
Listen, my wifes phone wasn't even due for an upgrade (new every 2) until March 2010. I simply called customer service (*611 from your verizon phone) and told the guy I wanted to upgrade to a Droid. I didn't have to fight, threaten to cancel or any of that crap. The guy gave me the phone for $200 and then gave me a $50 credit when I told him it was $149 for existing customers at vzwshop.com. I got the car dock and droid shipped to my house for $233 and a $50 credit on my bill. So I paid $173.

The customer service people are always easier to deal with than the employees at the store I think. The good thing about calling is that if you get someone who doesn't want to work with you just call back. If you're a good customer, pay your bills on time and have decent plans and not just the minimal stuff they WILL work with you. If you get the right rep and mention the vzwshop.com $149 price I bet you can get it for that price.

The 16GB SD card is standard with the phone. It doesn't matter what you pay, you will get a 16GB SD card (its already installed in the phone so dont look for it in the box).