Bad info from a Verizon Rep? (Annual Upgrade)

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I just called Verizon (*611) to check on my annual upgrade. Dec 2, 2010 will be one year I bought my DROID 1. From what I have assumed and from what I read here, this will be the date I can upgrade again, correct?

I called and spoke with the rep--who, by the way, did not know what an annual upgrade was: I had to explain it to her--had me on hold for like 5 minutes after telling her what it was.. she comes back and says you have to be 13 months thru my contract to be eligible. Can anyone confirm this? I can not because the one time I used this upgrade (from my LG Dare to my DROID 1 last December) I was actually 13.5 months through the contract...

Is the rep right? (13 months to be eligible for annual upgrade)

styx

Reaction score
I always look online at Verizon's webpage. That is the BEST place to get info on everything. Cheaper too, I might add.
btw, if you haven't signed up there, I highly recommend you do!

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Depends if your the primary line on the account ( I assune so), should be one year. At least that is what I was told.

Directly from a D2

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I always look online at Verizon's webpage. That is the BEST place to get info on everything. Cheaper too, I might add.
btw, if you haven't signed up there, I highly recommend you do!

I am not sure how this response applies?

- I always look on the website too. I am a week away from one year so website says "Full Retail Price". NOT Cheaper.

- There is ZERO info on the annual upgrade on the website.

- Sign up for what? I already pay my bills online and view my minutes and have an online Verizon account.

dliontis28

Reaction score
My wife is the primary and she was able to upgrade in @ 13 months. I had to wait the full 2 year mark before I had gotten the Droid.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
The website won't show you the upgrade date ahead of time. It will only inform you if your eligible, for exact dates you need to go to a VZW store. The only good thing about trying to get it over the phone is that the call center may be able to give you the phone up to 30 days earlier.

Directly from a D2

hacimv

Reaction score
I was able to upgrade 1 day after the 12 month mark last time around on mine. I did it online...

Snarkrifice

Reaction score
The main thing it depends on with Verizon, actually, is your contract. They don't generally do 1-year upgrades with Big Red. Most people, unless they request a different option at time of purchase or set it up specifically another way, have a 2-year contract with the provider. They allow upgrades at the 2-year contract prices listed on the website once you have 3 months left in your contract - in other words, 21 months after you initially begin service. I BELIEVE that the date you upgrade begins another 2-year contract, although it is possible that with some they extend the contract for 2 years from the end date. (Again, I believe it's the former. The latter would likely piss off too many customers.)

So, most likely, you'd have to wait until September 2, 2011 before you'd be able to upgrade with reduced pricing. Otherwise you'll have to pay full price or explore other options for purchasing - maybe even going through a third party.

That's the way it is on my account. We have a FamilyShare plan with 5 lines total... Two lines are actually used. The others are used for upgrades. Maybe not the best-cost way to do it in the long run, but we can get new phones more often with minimal headaches, and we have spare lines and numbers just in case we need them.

Speaking of which, one just came up, and I ordered a Droid X through AmazonWireless while they were having their penny sale this past weekend. I should get that delivered today. Oh, sweet Droidness.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
The main thing it depends on with Verizon, actually, is your contract. They don't generally do 1-year upgrades with Big Red. Most people, unless they request a different option at time of purchase or set it up specifically another way, have a 2-year contract with the provider. They allow upgrades at the 2-year contract prices listed on the website once you have 3 months left in your contract - in other words, 21 months after you initially begin service. I BELIEVE that the date you upgrade begins another 2-year contract, although it is possible that with some they extend the contract for 2 years from the end date. (Again, I believe it's the former. The latter would likely piss off too many customers.)

So, most likely, you'd have to wait until September 2, 2011 before you'd be able to upgrade with reduced pricing. Otherwise you'll have to pay full price or explore other options for purchasing - maybe even going through a third party.

That's the way it is on my account. We have a FamilyShare plan with 5 lines total... Two lines are actually used. The others are used for upgrades. Maybe not the best-cost way to do it in the long run, but we can get new phones more often with minimal headaches, and we have spare lines and numbers just in case we need them.

Speaking of which, one just came up, and I ordered a Droid X through AmazonWireless while they were having their penny sale this past weekend. I should get that delivered today. Oh, sweet Droidness.

I guess who haven't heard of an Annual Upgrade (Primary Line Only).

No, I already have done an annual upgrade at 13.5 months so I know that is possible that was in the middle of a 24 month contract. By doing my "annual upgrade" Dec 2nd 2009, I simply extended it 2 years after that date. I had a verizon rep this morning on the phone confirm that this is still available. however she said it was done at 13 months. I was under the assumption it was 12 months into your 24 month contract (again, yes I know, primary line only which I am).

I am simply asking, has anyone been able to do this--RECENTLY--at the 12 month mark? I know many of you are past 12 months who bought the Droid 1 within a couple of weeks.

I do wish I had the patience to wait out two years. I'd love to upgrade using Wirefly, or Amazon who have incredible deals. But oh well. $200 is still better than $600.

listenman20

Reaction score
according to verizon's site...

You must be registered for My Verizon, be on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher and have completed at least 1 year of a 2-year contract and agree to renew for an additional 2 years in order to get a new phone at a promotional price. It’s as easy as that.

done a search while signed into my account for annual upgrade

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
I download the verizon app and installed the widget. i can check on that stuff easy with there app

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As long as you're the primary on a plan of $49.99 or higher, you can upgrade after 12 months! CSRs are morons! "Annual" would mean "yearly"...there are 12 months in a year, not 13. She must have been new! I do it everyday so you can trust me on this!

DroidForums junkie!