Upgrading Cyanogen Mod?

topherleh

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in a little bit of a dilemma here. I've recently rooted my Moto Droid version 2.1 running JRummy's Remix v0.5 - CyanMod 5.0.5.7 ROM. I've also recently been wanting to upgrade that ROM to JRummy's Remix v0.6 - CyanMod 6.0.6.1 (this may have been a typo by JRummy as it may have been 5.0.6.1) Here are a few questions I need to ask before I actually upgrade my ROM (assuming that I already know how to install through the method of mounting my SD card and installing through zip file and the method of using ROM Manager.)

1. When initially opening the update.zip file, would I need to create an existing back up as well as wipe my data/cache considering the different versions of JRummy's Cyanogen Mod?

2. How may I use applications such as MyBackupPro, Astro, and Rom Manager to restore back-ups from my previous ROM to already have my home screens set up the way they were from the previous ROM to the ROM that I have upgraded to? (I do not want to have to reprogram my contacts, ruin a previous synchronization with my email due to lack of back-up, redownload, reinstall, and replace my apps and widgets on my home screens)

Lastly, if I have missed anything that may pertain to the matter at hand that is very important, please be sure to inform me due to the fact that I've only been recently exposed to the rooted world.

Thanks so much, I appreciate the help. :):):):)

V

verian

When I switch from roms I usually always wipe just to make sure I'm getting the perfect version of the rom that developer worked so hard on. If you synced with google then most everything is stored there and will sync automatically when you sign into Google with your phone during the initial start up. I've never lost my contacts and apps are in the market under my downloads. It sucks a little having to set up the widgets but it's worth it.