Upgrading and adding lines

skillyjack

Reaction score
Getting set to upgrade my Original Motorola Droid to hopefully Droid Razr Maxx HD, as well as my wifes LG Chocolate (to more updated less expensive smartphone minus the bells and whistles than mine. At the same time adding 2 lines for the kids. Is it smarter to keep on the family plan as they will no doubt kick me to share everything(Got Verizon) or keep the kids on a non contract plan? Trying to do this around Black Friday depending on the better deal(Amazon, or possible better site)
Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm not aware of any upcoming deals but most likely the best deals will be on a family plan. I think you'd be able to put the rest of your family on a shared plan but keep your line separate if that's what you want. I think overall that would be more expensive though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you have unlimited data, then upgrade your wife's smart phone to your Maxx HD, activated the Maxx HD on her line (if she didn't have a data plan, then you will have to choose a tiered data plan but you can drop that once you put a dumb phone back on her line). After the new Maxx is activated on her line, then you can move it to your line without losing your unlimited data.

Don't buy through Amazon or wirefly. They will charge you an outrageous fee if you switch the phone off the original line unless you wait six months. Best Buy will match Amazon's or anyone's price and will not care if you switch the phone to another line.

After you do the above (get your new Maxx), you can add new lines to your plan with new phones. Your wife could put one of those new phones on her line, and her old phone could go on one of the kid's new lines.