Early upgrade to the Motorola Droid?

JordanRutledge01

Reaction score
I'm on a family plan with four lines and the primary line can get a phone upgrade on April 29, 2010 after I pay a fee of $30 to end the contract after a year and renew it early. My family has been with verizon for over 11 years. The thing is, I need an early upgrade so I can have a smartphone for business (but I also just really want the Droid, lol) and right now I just have a basic phone without a data plan. Is there any way that I can get an even earlier upgrade? I'll be paying $30 more per month anyway so they'd get more money, but the official store tells me that I have to wait until late April. Do any of you know a way around this? I don't want to pay for a phone off of ebay either (too expensive, plus the warranty is voided since I didn't purchase it from them).

Thanks in advance!

kmasum

Reaction score
i dont see any reason for not to let u upgrade phone/plan.. anyways its more buck for 'em... i really dont know other ways to get around.. i would say ' try to call customer service again and speak to supervisor nicely... u may get lucky:) btw driod is a awesome ph!!

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't go to the official store!!! Go to one of the unofficial stores...they got a lot more freedom there...that's How I got mine...like 45 days after I began a brand new contract with a BB Storm...they helped me get a droid very easily... ;-)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Don't go to the official store!!! Go to one of the unofficial stores...they got a lot more freedom there...that's How I got mine...like 45 days after I began a brand new contract with a BB Storm...they helped me get a droid very easily... ;-)

I've always dealt with a Corp store and they have no problem giving me early upgrades...

YMMV :icon_ banana:

gentlefury

Reaction score

Wrong! I went to an authorized dealer and they said I wasn't eligible until feb...tough luck....the girl didn't even get out of her chair.

I went to the corporate store near me and told them if they can get me the droid today they have a sale. They did it. That was in Dec.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I've always dealt with a Corp store and they have no problem giving me early upgrades...

Well they wouldn't for me...but we had just started a new 1 year contract and the 30 days had just expired...I think that's the main reason they wouldn't...

OP
J

JordanRutledge01

Reaction score

Whoa, really?
I might try BesyBuy tonight.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just speakin from my own personal experience guys....it really depends on the employees u deal with...

OP
J

JordanRutledge01

Reaction score
Well is there anything that I should specifically tell them? I've tried with 2 different corporate stores and they told me to wait.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm tellin u man go to a non-corp store...u sound like your havin the same issues I did...the corps kept tellin me to wait or add another line...but u may be able to work somethin out with a non-corp store sales rep

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I was 6 months out on an upgrade on my phone and they let me. I went to corporate store and got Droid for new activation price + $35 for early upgrade. I'm on family plan with 2 lines, only been with VZW for little over a year.

thelion

Reaction score
Call customer service. Tell them you want a Droid real bad but just can't wait for your upgrade date. Blah blah blah...need it for business...blah blah blah....might have to cancel the whole contract....you get the drill.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Well they wouldn't for me...but we had just started a new 1 year contract and the 30 days had just expired...I think that's the main reason they wouldn't...

Well in that case there is no reason for them to do so.....

bellekristin83

Reaction score
When I went to the Verizon store to complain about my Blackberry, my last phone the employee told me they could only do protocol and offer me a new one, he told me to call customer service and be nice...I did that and it worked, I only had the Blackberry for 6 months and after telling them all the issues I had and waiting on hold for a couple minutes she told me she would give me a new smart phone (it had to be a smart phone which was what I wanted) for the 2-year contract price if I agreed to a new 2 year contract, so from what the guy in the store told me it's an actual protocol that regular employees have to follow (and that customer service has more rights)