Upgrade in two weeks and I have a few quick questions

tagg

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post and I just wanted to start off by saying how great of a resource this site is and I have learned SO much from it.
I have two different topics I have questions about before I upgrade in two weeks..
I have always gone to the Verizon store when I have done upgrades, problems or questions. I was planning on doing the same in two weeks but I have co worker that decently upgraded to the Droid @ Best Buy. They price matched Walmart and he didnt have to hassle with mail in rebates. That sounds like a great deal but I just have a few concerns...
-If I were to go through Best Buy to upgrade and continued to go to the local Verizon store when I had problems/questions would that ever come back to bite me?
-Would I still be able to keep the same insurance on my line?
-How can they sell the phones so much cheaper?!
-And is there anything else I need to be made aware that goes along with going through a Verizon dealer vs. Verizon store themselves?
And the 2nd topic.
There are SOO many great phones out right now I am not sure which to choose, the Ally, Droid, Incredible, or is there another one that is close on the horizon I should hold out for?
I understand the Incredible is super fast but is it overkill?
And I like the look of the Ally because it resembles the EnV2 I have now so that would be an easy transition. Even though it may fall short of the Droid in a few places like screen size and camera, from what I have read the battery and processor should outperform the Droid.
How many people use the Droid to its full potential? The girlfriend got her upgrade 2 months ago and chose the Droid so I am pretty familiar with that one, I dont really have any complaints with it.

Wow, I am sorry this got a little long winded. I would appreciate any and all feed back. dancedroid

OP
T

tagg

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

R

Romple

Stay away from the Ally. I don't know where you read it will outperform the Droid but it is simply untrue. Top two Android choices are the Droid or the Incredible. If you need a physical keyboard go with the Droid. If it doesn't matter you may as well just pick from a hat. Just no Ally. Bad. Bad Ally.

When I was a rep the only difference I saw from people buying from "authorized retailers" was that their accounts were so screwed up it took us forever to sort through it all. Things may have changed since then but it's not like a VZW store is going to turn you away because you bought from Best Buy ;-p

OP
T

tagg

Reaction score
Rompie, Thanks for the reply.
I am between the Droid and the Incredible right now and I am used to the physical keyboard and have experience with the Moto but I am really interested in the Incredible.
So all my insurance and customer service will remain the same if I upgrades through an Authorized Dealer vs. Verizon? I am all for saving a buck when I can but I dont want to if it will affect my insurance or trying to get help in the future. I dont know why it just seems a little too good to be true.

R

Romple

Insurance is through a third party so has nothing to do with where you buy. Your NEWE2 and all that is same as through VZW Store. Customer service, in store or on phone, is same.

The Droid and the Incredible are both great devices. Since you've used a Droid go check out the Incredible. Just comes down to preference really.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rompie, Thanks for the reply.
I am between the Droid and the Incredible right now and I am used to the physical keyboard and have experience with the Moto but I am really interested in the Incredible.
So all my insurance and customer service will remain the same if I upgrades through an Authorized Dealer vs. Verizon? I am all for saving a buck when I can but I dont want to if it will affect my insurance or trying to get help in the future. I dont know why it just seems a little too good to be true.

Insurance will increase for the Droid. Deductible will also be higher.

I've seen some people state that their deductible is only 30.00. Well, mines is 90.00 and I'm not sure that people have got that correct. Anyway best way to find out about the insurance is to talk to Assurion. They are the company that does Verizons insurance. You can google their web site.

JimmyD

Reaction score
tagg,

I agree with most replies in this thread. If I were in your shoes, I would either go with the Motorola Droid, or the HTC Droid Incredible.

Also, I purchased my Moto Droid through Best Buy, and I have had zero problems when I went into a Verizon store for anything related to my Droid.

...and finally, I'm not sure if you noticed this recent tidbit on the Verizon website for a $30 discount promo for purchasing a new smartphone through VerizonWireless.com?

Check it out >>>link>>> VerizonWireless.com $30 Off Sneaky Promo | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

OP
T

tagg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I dont feel so worried about going through a dealer now. Its always nice to save a few bucks!
Now Im torn between the Droid and the Incredible. I am used to a keyboard so I am drawn to the Droid but the Incredible has a lot to offer too. I am just going to have to go play with the Incredible at the mall this weekend.
How is the battery life on the Incredible compared to the Droid?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
My husband and I both have Droids (rooted) and we love them. We hardly ever use the physical keyboard. At the first of the month we ordered our daughter the Incredible. We actually received it on the 14th but are in the process of waiting for a replacement as that had a glitch and was stuck in a boot loop. Anyways, while we did have the Incredible what I noticed was how light weight it was compared to the Droid. Also, since it does not have a physical keyboard it was thinner. It does NOT come with an SD card (the Droid does). The Incredible camera had a slight advantage over the Droid but nothing to make me jump ship.

Overall I think they are both great phones. I would suggest you go to Verizon and touch and play with the demo models and see which one feels the best to you. Not saying buy it from Verizon if you can get it cheaper through Best Buy. One thing to be aware of....... HTC is so backlogged on the Incredible that it is not anticipated to ship before June 9.

Hope this helps.