Upgrade: Android or iPhone

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Let me start off by mentioning a few things. Yes, I am aware this is an android forum so most of you will reply back to me "get a droid duhhh" but in all honesty lets try to be fair on the discussion for my sake. Secondly, you must know that I have been a very anti-mac person for years now. I am a photographer and designer, and whenever anyone finds out I have a Windows PC I get yelled at: "WHy are you NOT using a mac for that!!!"

So PLEASE be constructive even though your all droid fans!​

Now, I am due for an upgrade in late september. My sister just upgraded tot he iPhone4 and I had a chance to play with it the other day. I absolutly LOVE how snappy and quick it is, and the interface is so sexy it puts androids menus to shame. Looks mean a lot to me (hence why I love the MIUI rom). I understand I have the old Droid1 and that is like an old man where new android phones like the D3 are probably going to feel just as quick and snappy. I guess I am just starting to see the light on why people like the iPhone so much. It was a well built device, even any android fan HAS to admit to that. Lastly, I hear the new iPhone5 with a dual chip from the iPad2 will be coming out possibly in september, making this or the 4 on my list for possible wants. I do love the custom launchers on android though, like LPro. Just way better and more customizable. I used to be huge into hacking and theming my phone, but now, honestly all I want is a phone that does what I need it to do quickly and without rebooting randomly or freezing haha. Photos, facebook, remote computer control, music, video chat, google apps, GPS navigation...

Worst case senerio I guess I can grab the iPhone 4 or 5 then test it fully for a few weeks and return it for the D3 or whatever catches my eye within my 30 day return... Any thoughts?

tadow213m

Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same position as you but I'm waiting to see if and when Verizon might get the sgs2 (white version) . Everyone I know uses an iPhone so I tried messing around with one but just can't seem to enjoy it as much as people say they do. One thing I do admit though is that the Apple devices have always felt smoother than my android (currently using a thunderbolt). Maybe the Samsung will feel just as good since it has a better processor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The iPhone IS a great phone whether people on here like it or not. Some things that may be important to some aren't always just as important to others. Personally, I can't imagine ever buying an iPhone because I simply like Android better. The iPhone is great at what it does, its just that "what it does" may not be enough for some. There's no denying the smooth interface of the iPhone, I just hate the iOS launcher because of its complete lack of customization. Its about preference. I would recommend the iPhone to my mother or anyone else who needs a simple, easy to use OS, which is what iOS is all about.

sajgel

Reaction score
fyi-there is no 30 day return policy anymore with big red. Its 14 days and a $35 restock fee.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Get the iPhone, play with it for your 14 day trial period and make sure you like it. If not, switch to Android.

I played with my wife's iPhone 4 and thought that I liked it too. So I got one for myself. It's different when it's yours, and you're trying to do all the things you normally do. So, I ended up going back to Android.

Since Verizon has the 14 day grace period, try it for yourself in real world scenarios.

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
fyi-there is no 30 day return policy anymore with big red. Its 14 days and a $35 restock fee.

Thanks for all the input so far guys! Very helpful. I am just god awful at making big decidions, or small ones, so this is hard.

And wow, only 14 days, I better try to do it all and more in 13 days... yikes...

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
I modded my friends iphone for him and did it to my itouch. U can pretty much customize everything including the launcher like android. But it has no swappable memory, internal battery, and adding videos and music requires itunes. Not to mention no hdmi out or hd display. The reason why I choose my x over the iphone.

x.sys

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I like to think of modding/rooting as a privelage rather than something I would HAVE to do in order to get simple customization out of my launcher. Custom launchers can obviously be downloaded whether your rooted or not, so that alone IMO is why I prefer Android.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Apple does a great job at what it does, no denying that, they're a multi-billion dollar company for a reason. I am very anti-apple, from iPods to their Macs, but I won't go into detail on that in this post.

I had an iPhone as a media device (picked it up for cheap) so essentially it was everything without the phone/data part. The UI was easy to use and very straightforward, learning curve was pretty much little to none.

What I noticed in my short time of ownership was that Apple has mobile media down. The UI is media friendly from their music to videos and it makes android look like a joke. The camera popped up faster and everything, and this was just the 3g model.

Now when it comes to the media world, I see majority of the people with macs to go with their iphones. You could probably get some software on PC to make it almost as nice, but seriously this is something Apple has down, I think to their "bread and butter".

If I were in your shoes I'd seriously consider a Mac at least. Seems alot of design software and companies are leaning towards macs for home use and provide a PC in the work place. I personally cannot stand OS X or whatever it is and this is after days of trialing with my sister's new Macbook Pro. It has some great features, but I'm a PC guy and always will be.

With all that said, I say go check out a mac, or borrow one if you can, no store trial can get you the real use application. You're already considering the option of getting an iPhone so I'm sure you'd be able to decide that for yourself and it doesn't hurt to get a little more hands on time of your sister's iphone if you can.

Nothing wrong with owning an Android and PC in the design world, but I can see if you don't want to be "that guy".

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First off I hate all things Apple.... but with that being said, my sister is a photographer and absolutely loves her Mac.
So I def think you should give serious consideration to a Mac for your photography/design needs. However, I don't see why you'd need an iPhone :)

I had a bit more written out, but it's more of my personal (negative) opinion of Apple and their products/pricing.... and not necessary (as I'm not trying to upset anyone)

Dezymond pretty much hit the nail on the head for what I was going to say :)

turdbogls

Reaction score
if all you want is a phone that works, get the iphone. android phones are ment to be tweaked IMO. they have thier little quirks here and there, but they have a lot of positives about them (widgets and free navigation being the main ones)

if you can live with itunes and steve Jobs, get the iphone 5. they are fixing 3 of the things that bothered me so much about the iphone in the 5....not having to connect to itunes to set it up, larger screen, and a notification window. the iphone 5 is going to be a sweet phone...but i have grown to LOVE android and all that comes with it.
but if you are past the phone modding stage, get the iphone, it will probably be a better phone.

Jdroid09

Reaction score
I am in the same situation. I have an iPod touch and feel that an iPhone may be too similar and may jus bore me. On the other hand my iPod has some features that I love and with ios5 coming out it seems to have some pretty cool features as well. Not to steal this thread, but does android have a "reader" function like the new ios5 will have? Also does android have a quick scroll when you touch the top bar o the window?

kookk

Reaction score
I think the iPhone is very good at what it does. But when I use one I can't kick the "that's it?" Feeling.

Id sacrifice a snappier os for third party apps, swappable memory, bigger screens, custom roms, etc.. any day
Sent from my ThunderBolt

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
First off I hate all things Apple.... but with that being said, my sister is a photographer and absolutely loves her Mac.
So I def think you should give serious consideration to a Mac for your photography/design needs. However, I don't see why you'd need an iPhone :)

I had a bit more written out, but it's more of my personal (negative) opinion of Apple and their products/pricing.... and not necessary (as I'm not trying to upset anyone)

Dezymond pretty much hit the nail on the head for what I was going to say :)

Hahahaha, wish you threw a little anti-mac my way. Honestly I have hated everything mac for years. Last mac I had was when I was about 8 haha. Been all PC since then. Just lately I have been really curious for some reason.

I am in the same situation. I have an iPod touch and feel that an iPhone may be too similar and may jus bore me. On the other hand my iPod has some features that I love and with ios5 coming out it seems to have some pretty cool features as well. Not to steal this thread, but does android have a "reader" function like the new ios5 will have? Also does android have a quick scroll when you touch the top bar o the window?

I will have to read up on the new OS5 and whatnot coming out. I do love my droid1 for what fun hacking it gave me, but I want a snappy beautiful phone. Hmm would miss those widgets tho, eeek...