So with Flash leaving, what will be Android's main feature over the Iphones?

knighthonor

Reaction score

My old supervisor sent me a message today over this Flash news. he a IOS fan.

what will be Android's catch here now?

leftspin

Reaction score
I think you've slightly misunderstood what they mean. Flash isn't "leaving," they just won't be continuing to update it going forward. Older versions of Android and older Android devices will still be able to run Flash, the concern is that it won't be compatible with newer versions of Android and future devices.

Regardless, I'm also interested in seeing what happens. Flash has always been one of the huge selling points for Android and I'm definitely more than a little disappointed about the news.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Flash isn't going to be going away for a long time. It's going to take years for the transition to html5 to take over, it's just beginning its phasing out.

Flash was a dying technology. It was relatively slow, needed extra plug-ins, and was pretty much a hassle even on a PC. When word about html5 came along you knew the days were numbered and not to mention you had the phone industry leader, Apple, supporting the html5. Whatever Apple supports every other company follows and it just happened to be html5.

marleyinoc

Reaction score
If you touted flash as the only or primary strength of Android then 1 you were wrong and 2 you deserve egg on your face ;)

Seriously though.. buggy flash will be around awhile longer. Sites sadly are still using it (forced to for some applications/partners like webstreaming) and so you'll be able to get content the other phone can't for awhile longer ;)

Sent from my cell

ooklathemok

Reaction score
The Wired article said that Flash was no longer being developed for mobile devices, but Android will get updates. Not that anyone likes Flash. A marleyinoc said, that is not a selling point. The only person that seemed to care that Flash was on Android was Steve Jobs.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you touted flash as the only or primary strength of Android then 1 you were wrong and 2 you deserve egg on your face ;)

Seriously though.. buggy flash will be around awhile longer. Sites sadly are still using it (forced to for some applications/partners like webstreaming) and so you'll be able to get content the other phone can't for awhile longer ;)

Sent from my cell

I use Flash on my D2 almost daily, and rarely have problems.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
In regard to the OP's questions, for me Open Source / Android allows me to have choices. That is what it has over Iphones. I don't like to be corralled into software or the limited hardware to run it - don't have to just take what "they" offer. If development brings on a great product, then I support it with my wallet so more cool features will come down the road.

On the other hand, some folks are not tech savvy and just want a device that is all set up, even if it isn't all that they want it to be.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
In regard to the OP's questions, for me Open Source / Android allows me to have choices. That is what it has over Iphones. I don't like to be corralled into software or the limited hardware to run it - don't have to just take what "they" offer. If development brings on a great product, then I support it with my wallet so more cool features will come down the road.

On the other hand, some folks are not tech savvy and just want a device that is all set up, even if it isn't all that they want it to be.
the open source only applies to Developers, like you said. people that are tech savy. most people may not even know what Rooting a phone is..

Flash was a major feature the Android had over IOS. and now thats gone.

being able to browse the internet fully was a selling point for Android. now they will be losing that point, while IOS loses nothing...

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
the open source only applies to Developers, like you said. people that are tech savy. most people may not even know what Rooting a phone is..

Flash was a major feature the Android had over IOS. and now thats gone.

being able to browse the internet fully was a selling point for Android. now they will be losing that point, while IOS loses nothing...

Don't doubt the power of open source, it doesn't only apply to developers, sure they really are the ones that use it directly, however the improvements they make to the source code are almost certainly looked at by Google and implemented into future releases of android. Its kinda like Google has a whole world of developers working for them in addition to the ones they actually pay. Obviously apple may or may not have better developers in their employ,but they can't compete with the sheer number of outside developers as Google since they aren't open source.
And secondly android is available on a multitude of phones in varying size, shape and hardware while the iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone
Thirdly android and the hardware itself is developing at a far faster pace than iOS and the iPhone hardware specs will seem quite sad compared to android phones, and the rapid development of android os means that they are ready to quickly counter any new features of the iOS.

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

billyk

Reaction score

My old supervisor sent me a message today over this Flash news. he a IOS fan.

what will be Android's catch here now?

Avoiding Apple's suffocating ecosystem.

-bk
Recovered Apple Bigot 1982 - 1996

howzball

Reaction score
It's primary feature doesn't change because flash updates are ending, it's main feature over the iPhone is that it's NOT an iPhone.