Upgrade: Android or iPhone

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ftajeffrey - Hahaha alright, very true haha.

I have been doing some research on the new UI features in ios5 and I have to say they are awesome. Some stuff like lock screen and notifications look very similar to the Android style, now with a 'pull down' menu. The iPhone 4 will be getting ios5 in the fall which is when my upgrade is, however I don't know when the new iphone5 will be out, and personally I might want to wait for that to test out because of the bigger screen, dual processor, and so on... time will tell...

I was interested in the Droid 3 because I really love a tangible keyboard, but at the same time I feel like the D3 may not live up to my expectations. Nice size though...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off I hate all things Apple.... but with that being said, my sister is a photographer and absolutely loves her Mac.
So I def think you should give serious consideration to a Mac for your photography/design needs. However, I don't see why you'd need an iPhone :)

I had a bit more written out, but it's more of my personal (negative) opinion of Apple and their products/pricing.... and not necessary (as I'm not trying to upset anyone)

Dezymond pretty much hit the nail on the head for what I was going to say :)

Hahahaha, wish you threw a little anti-mac my way. Honestly I have hated everything mac for years. Last mac I had was when I was about 8 haha. Been all PC since then. Just lately I have been really curious for some reason.

I am in the same situation. I have an iPod touch and feel that an iPhone may be too similar and may jus bore me. On the other hand my iPod has some features that I love and with ios5 coming out it seems to have some pretty cool features as well. Not to steal this thread, but does android have a "reader" function like the new ios5 will have? Also does android have a quick scroll when you touch the top bar o the window?

I will have to read up on the new OS5 and whatnot coming out. I do love my droid1 for what fun hacking it gave me, but I want a snappy beautiful phone. Hmm would miss those widgets tho, eeek...

you can always jailbreak the iPhone for widgets haha...

Reaction score
Well it comes down to this, Iphone = Icons, Android = Icons + Widgets.

The way I see it is this, Iphone is a very kid friendly interface (my 3 yr old, and 5 yr old both have touches and know how to use them perfectly), It is like a hallow chocolate bunny with know substance, however there is not much you ever have to do to it (or get to do with it); it will always be the same interface for as long as you own it.

Android is a huge difference, it is built for people who like complete personalizing and customization. The possibilities almost seem endless with how much you can do. However, it is not as kid friendly, you have to have some (if not extensive) knowledge for it to reach it's full potential. Still, it comes with a cost, the deeper into the Android OS you get, the more you need to learn. Frustrating at times, because you know your phone can do something, but making it do it comes down (for me) to lots of trial and error; I thank Jesus for this great community that has helped me on dozens of occasions.

Another point is, like the Windows OS, it seems as though after a some time Android bogs down and it is a good idea (yet a hassle for some) to do a reinstall.

In the end, I have had the D1, D2, and soon the Droid Bionic and my wife has the Iphone4, I have played with hers and I could never switch over, sure they look good, they are always snappy with their interface, but I need full control over my phone, and that is something Apple will never give me.

nikecar

Reaction score
no swappable memory, internal battery, and adding videos and music requires itunes.

x.sys
So true...

I am in the same situation. I have an iPod touch and feel that an iPhone may be too similar and may jus bore me. On the other hand my iPod has some features that I love and with ios5 coming out it seems to have some pretty cool features as well. Not to steal this thread, but does android have a "reader" function like the new ios5 will have? Also does android have a quick scroll when you touch the top bar o the window?

I deal with iPhone here at work, and have gotten an iPod Touch as a gift. I just recently got my Droid Inc2 phone.

As someone said, the iPhone/iPod is great for kids. My 6/3yos can work that iPod like ther eis no tomorrow. They can use it better than their mom. I can agree to the OP that some menus are nice, BUT Ihad the layout of the homepages. I feel they are cluttered.

I LOVE the widgets on my phone, and how I feel I can navigate better through the home pages than the apple ones. I don't hate Apple, just the notion that Apple is the holy grail of all tech.

i used to find things quickly on my iPod and work iPhones, but now I slow down as i'm so used to the my android, even after only a month.

dbmorris

Reaction score
I was in the same situation. I was just tired of the screen freezes and studder while scrolling, reboots, battery pulls. The final straw came when I couldn't search the internet but figured it was because of reception so I set the phone down and gave up. 10 minutes later it rang but when I swiped and tried to answer it locked up so I had to pull the battery. 2 of my brothers and my daughter had just made the swap to an iphone 4 so I went and looked at them, then bought that and an ipad2 for the wife. Had it about a week and love it. Yes it is less configurable but I am over that, I just want/need it to work; to make calls with no frustration, get stocks, news, internet etc and with no screen freezes. Games are way better to, way better, real games. One down side is that most apps cost money and some are rather expensive but they all work (ok with the exception of one that had screen studder like my droid had so its gone). if you enjoy playing and changing settings, screens, backgnds etc the android is great but if you just want a phone that works out of the box morning to night then the iphone takes the prize as far as I am concerned, battery seems to last better to. Time will tell, ios 5 is coming out and alot for the stuff it now has the android had for a while and icloud seems like a remake of google and gmail. I may change my mind down the road but I am very happy with the switch, feel like I am cheating on my droid or something but I haven't thrown my apple yet like I did my droid several times :) Iphone's screen isn't as tough either, another down side.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am a prof photographer and manage a studio..have for years..I have NEVER had a problem with a pc and truthfully why anyone would suggest a mac is "Better" is stating an opinion! Thanks, just had to point that out.. Photography has been out long before photoshops and touch up and cropping programs, and honestly, myself, when I shoot high dollar potraits, I use a vintage camera, and rely on lighting and photography skills and not a computer..lol

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
The iphone 4 is a pretty good looking phone I'll admit, but one thing that really bugs me about ios is looking at my apps 24/7. It really bugs me. I love how I can have no apps on my home screen, and when I need them I just open the app drawer. I'm not sure if this matters but I love how android can multitask. Switching from multiple apps is really handy.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Cm7

J

JriderG

Yea the Mac to go with the iPhone is stupid. And people telling you why do you not have a mac..... that is worse. I would go with an android phone. They are not meant to be customized like some scrubs said. They are meant for the average consumer that is not going to root. It would be like saying people buy Honda's to customize, if your not gonna customize don't buy. That would be ridiculous, and we all know its not true.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
This is my opinion, I hope the op reads this. I haven't read the forum except for the first post. Here's my take on it. Apple is innovation, they introduce things and others follow, they are big because of marketing and the OS which is simplistic. Android is big because of variety, carriers and ability to truly own the phone. I love apple because of the apps and how they perfect the os to have as few bugs as possible. Android makes the os so others can rule it, but the downfall is the bugs. Retina display is amazing quality still not matched by my droid3 I received a year later after iphone 4 was released. Ability to root is so easy on android, on iphone it takes more time and you have many roms you can use on android. Specs are also a big thing. When iphone 4 came out they had 5 mp while some android phones had 8 at the time. I could just go on and on. If you want simplicity, apps, smooth running, and innovation, take apple. If you want variety, ability to use all of your phone, roms, and a few bugs here and there take android. I love my droid3 though it has a few bugs. But I'm going to get an ipad3.
Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have the OG Droid and have liked it from Day 1. Lots of customization and it still does everything I want it to do.

Then in February I got the iPad. I love the thing and use it more than my phone or even my laptop (which I used to use all the time). It got me thinking about whether or not I'd really like the iPad experience with my phone. The UI is so snappy on my iPad with no lags or redraws. I have an upgrade and it's really tempting to use it on the iPhone 4.

The only reason I've really held off is because I use Wifi tether for Android a fair amount and I'm not sure I want to take the chance of losing it with iPhone if I can't figure out how to jailbreak it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the iPad and the iPhone do not use the same processors. Don't assume iOS is the only factor.

kookk

Reaction score
I actually am considering an iPhone 5 for my upgrade. I really think my TB will be able to last a long time, and I don't like sitting on an upgrade. If ios5 impresses me enough, I may get one just to have the best of both worlds

Sent from my cyanobolt

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to be huge into hacking and theming my phone, but now, honestly all I want is a phone that does what I need it to do quickly and without rebooting randomly or freezing haha. Photos, facebook, remote computer control, music, video chat, google apps, GPS navigation...
Either OS can do any of that. You need to see if there are any compelling reasons to go one way or the other. I'd suggest trying the iPhone out and seeing if you are happy with it or not. You can't beat first hand experience for answering questions like this. I mean, you can read all you want but it's really up to you and not the opinions of others.

Yea the Mac to go with the iPhone is stupid. And people telling you why do you not have a mac..... that is worse. I would go with an android phone. They are not meant to be customized like some scrubs said. They are meant for the average consumer that is not going to root. It would be like saying people buy Honda's to customize, if your not gonna customize don't buy. That would be ridiculous, and we all know its not true.
That's an odd statement. Android in general is designed for average consumers who aren't going to root. I'll agree that if you're not going to customize that's not a reason to not buy Android. However, it isn't a reason to buy Android either (if the shopper isn't concerned with customization). Every buyer needs to consider all of his/hers needs and wants. Customization isn't the only consideration.