Upgrade: Android or iPhone

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by icculusX, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my opinion, I hope the op reads this. I haven't read the forum except for the first post. Here's my take on it. Apple is innovation, they introduce things and others follow, they are big because of marketing and the OS which is simplistic. Android is big because of variety, carriers and ability to truly own the phone. I love apple because of the apps and how they perfect the os to have as few bugs as possible. Android makes the os so others can rule it, but the downfall is the bugs. Retina display is amazing quality still not matched by my droid3 I received a year later after iphone 4 was released. Ability to root is so easy on android, on iphone it takes more time and you have many roms you can use on android. Specs are also a big thing. When iphone 4 came out they had 5 mp while some android phones had 8 at the time. I could just go on and on. If you want simplicity, apps, smooth running, and innovation, take apple. If you want variety, ability to use all of your phone, roms, and a few bugs here and there take android. I love my droid3 though it has a few bugs. But I'm going to get an ipad3.
    Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

2. gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have the OG Droid and have liked it from Day 1. Lots of customization and it still does everything I want it to do.

Then in February I got the iPad. I love the thing and use it more than my phone or even my laptop (which I used to use all the time). It got me thinking about whether or not I'd really like the iPad experience with my phone. The UI is so snappy on my iPad with no lags or redraws. I have an upgrade and it's really tempting to use it on the iPhone 4.

The only reason I've really held off is because I use Wifi tether for Android a fair amount and I'm not sure I want to take the chance of losing it with iPhone if I can't figure out how to jailbreak it.

3. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep in mind that the iPad and the iPhone do not use the same processors. Don't assume iOS is the only factor.

4. kookk

kookk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually am considering an iPhone 5 for my upgrade. I really think my TB will be able to last a long time, and I don't like sitting on an upgrade. If ios5 impresses me enough, I may get one just to have the best of both worlds

Sent from my cyanobolt

5. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Either OS can do any of that. You need to see if there are any compelling reasons to go one way or the other. I'd suggest trying the iPhone out and seeing if you are happy with it or not. You can't beat first hand experience for answering questions like this. I mean, you can read all you want but it's really up to you and not the opinions of others.

That's an odd statement. Android in general is designed for average consumers who aren't going to root. I'll agree that if you're not going to customize that's not a reason to not buy Android. However, it isn't a reason to buy Android either (if the shopper isn't concerned with customization). Every buyer needs to consider all of his/hers needs and wants. Customization isn't the only consideration.

6. kayla3046

kayla3046 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [h=2]Android[/h]without doubt~

7. JeffDenver

JeffDenver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If money is not an issue and you are not concerned about functionality beyond basic stuff like web browsing or phone calls or texting, then the iPhone is a great phone.

The reason people go Android is because they like customizing/playing with the phone and/or want additional functionality, or they cant afford the iPhone for whatever reason. The iPhone really doesnt suck. It is just expensive and restrictive. If those things dont bother you, get an iPhone. It does have a massive market, and lots of UI polish.

8. elvis_marmaduke

Ratings:
    +0
    I have multiple friends with the iPhone 4 and they have just as many complaints as people do with Android phones... including freezes, bad GPS locations, etc... The thing I heat the least that I hear the most on Android is battery issues... But if the phone us customizable enough a custom kernel more than takes care of that IMO

You have just been post pwned

9. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    i believe that neither is better then the other.... its all on what a person wants/needs in their phone. i still develop for android(droid 1, nook color, galaxytab) but choose to use an iphone just because it suits my needs better. to anyone that says you cant do this or that on either phone they need to open their eyes. THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ON ONE THAT YOU CANT DO ON THE OTHER minus the removable battery, removable memory and custom roms....

and lets be honest with ourselves the only reason we put custom roms on our phones is because the OS that came on it is flawed in one way or another and they hope the custom rom fixes said issues.

10. JeffDenver

JeffDenver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    flash support...widgets...notification bar...live wallpapers...an actual desktop instead of an app drawer...universal multi-tasking for all apps...Lets be honest, where functionality is concerned, there is nothing iOS does that Android doesnt also do, but the reverse is not true.

And I wont even go into the fact that you are locked into one store with Apple. The reason this is a problem is because Apple doesnt seem to have a problem with censoring stuff they dont like. And not having to beg bloated iTunes to be able to transfer data to my phone is truely a luxury. Yeah, you can always jailbreak...except when you cant.

There is obviously a market of people who dont care about these things. And because of that Apple will always have buyers. But lets not pretend that they are equally functional. They both have their advantages, but functionality is clearly Android's advantage.

11. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    what? my iphone does all of this.... oh and the live wallpapers on the iphone dont make it run so slow you feel like your in the 1980's and they don't drain battery as much. i can use a live wallpaper on the iphone and still get almost 3 days on a single charge.

heres my current DESKTOP just for reference.... http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/zyiro/iphone/71e60fe6.jpg

there is no version of current iOS that cant be jailbroken. an yes you can install apps from the itunes market, cydia (jailbroken market) and you can push apps directly to the phone.

iphone is just like android if you want to make the experience better it needs to be rooted/jailbroken.

12. JeffDenver

JeffDenver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Android does all that stuff without rooting. And I would like to know how you are getting flash (real flash) on your jailbroken iPhone.

Search tags for this page

iphone upgrade for android

upgrade form android incredible to iphone

upgrade iphone 4 to android