Updating apps through the play store...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Does anyone else have an issue with the install taking FOREVER!!!! I mean ...I can update an app and it takes a few seconds...but the part where it cycles and says installing.....it seems to take minutes....why??? It wasn't this way before 5.1..so I have to wonder is it an art thing vs dalvic?? And if so...why does it take so long to install an app that's already downloaded?? It's annoying..maybe I'm being overly sensitive but I've been watching Facebook install for 3 minutes??? No joke..

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On my Note4 it is because it changed from Dalvik to ART is what I was told.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually I've noticed the same on my note3 but sometimes it is also downloading the app that gets stuck. I just associated it with the overall problem I'm having with my phone since lollipop. In some areas, my phone is still snappy. Other's very laggy. Some apps take forever to open, others not. Texts might take forever to send, sometimes not. None of it is consistent so hard to pin point what the real problem is. I've fdr-ed, cleared partition, etc. My phone and lollipop do not get along.

sent from my Note3, (currently but soon to be??) using tapatalk

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My note edge was acting odd..has this issue too...I cleared the cache and its a tad smoother..

The play store is just painfully slow...ugh

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
When did you get a Note Edge? You gotta tell us these things! I thought you had a turbo? Have you been taking about you car this whole time? (Turbo lag is a real thing...unless you have a twin spool setup, in which case....nvrmnd) Bwahahaha!

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've noticed a bit of what you speak of in the OP. Specifically with Facebook last night or this morning, actually.

The other thing I've noticed is I've been getting a lot of errors when downloading apps lately. Most of them seem to come when I do an update all and one or two of five or so will give me an error. When I tap the notification and it takes me to that app's page, I hit the update button again and it downloads and installs just fine.

Definitely strange. I'm working on culling my app list though. The Note 4 has started to lag a bit on me. Considering doing an fdr, even though I just did one a few moths back when Lollipop hit...

I could see how some of the slow installs could be ART-related. My Nexus 7 still says it's getting apps ready every time I boot it up after getting Lollipop. I'm wondering if part of the install is some kind of tweaking that the system does to apps to ensure they're ready for ART. With the way Facebook is, I could see them not caring to make their app fully Lollipop ready...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually I've noticed the same on my note3 but sometimes it is also downloading the app that gets stuck. I just associated it with the overall problem I'm having with my phone since lollipop. In some areas, my phone is still snappy. Other's very laggy. Some apps take forever to open, others not. Texts might take forever to send, sometimes not. None of it is consistent so hard to pin point what the real problem is. I've fdr-ed, cleared partition, etc. My phone and lollipop do not get along.

sent from my Note3, (currently but soon to be??) using tapatalk
When I was on Verizon I used to have the inconsistent text thing. On my Inc they said it was my phone. On my Rezound they said it was my phone. On my Note2 they said it was my phone. Going back to dumbphone days, they said it was my phone needing a *228. For that have you tried power the phone off, remove the SIM card, power it back on without the card and leave for a minute or 2, power off and put the card back then power on again? That fixed it each recurring time on my Rezound and Note2.
As far as app installing the only inconsistency is whether it's painfully slow or "crap! I've got better things to do and just put the phone away and at some point it finished while asleep" slow. On KK it was all over the place with install speeds.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
94lt1

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
When did you get a Note Edge? You gotta tell us these things! I thought you had a turbo? Have you been taking about you car this whole time? (Turbo lag is a real thing...unless you have a twin spool setup, in which case....nvrmnd) Bwahahaha!

S5 tap'n
I run the turbo as a personal device..

and I use the note edge for work, comes in especially handy for taking pics and writing on them or drawing for array changes..or damage to a structure..I've been running the note edge since January.. It'd be slicker than snot if I could get rid of a bunch of stuff I don't use..

And yes..turbo lag is real..that's why I like super chargers or single big bores..but there are tt kits that are getting caught up..just take forever on the line...green light...spool up..launch...no thanx..

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
When I was on Verizon I used to have the inconsistent text thing. On my Inc they said it was my phone. On my Rezound they said it was my phone. On my Note2 they said it was my phone. Going back to dumbphone days, they said it was my phone needing a *228. For that have you tried power the phone off, remove the SIM card, power it back on without the card and leave for a minute or 2, power off and put the card back then power on again? That fixed it each recurring time on my Rezound and Note2.
As far as app installing the only inconsistency is whether it's painfully slow or "crap! I've got better things to do and just put the phone away and at some point it finished while asleep" slow. On KK it was all over the place with install speeds.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Thanks @mountainbikermark. I have actually searched for an alternative to *228, knowing that method no longer works. I am going to give your idea a try right now.

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
So far so good. I went from 1x to 3g and 1bar to 2-3 bars for phone. The true test will be in those areas where I used to get decent phone signal but can't now.

Something interesting I noticed... maybe it's a lollipop thing, but shutting my phone down or restarting would remove all the recent apps from the recent apps list. Oh no, not now! Both times, powering my phone back up, my recent apps list is still intact. Is that supposed to happen? I'm going to try a battery pull and see what happens.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So far so good. I went from 1x to 3g and 1bar to 2-3 bars for phone. The true test will be in those areas where I used to get decent phone signal but can't now.

Something interesting I noticed... maybe it's a lollipop thing, but shutting my phone down or restarting would remove all the recent apps from the recent apps list. Oh no, not now! Both times, powering my phone back up, my recent apps list is still intact. Is that supposed to happen? I'm going to try a battery pull and see what happens.

Yup. For what it's worth, that's a feature of Lollipop. Handy in some ways, annoying in others.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yup. For what it's worth, that's a feature of Lollipop. Handy in some ways, annoying in others.
I guess so! And the recent apps list is still fully loaded after a battery pull. Yes, I suppose mostly handy but I think I will periodically close out some of the less used apps in that list.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's what I do, but I've noticed that I'll close some out and then do a restart later in the day and apps that I closed a day or two prior will be back in the list. Not sure how it decides which apps to put back in the list after a restart, but it's definitely not limited to just the apps that are in there prior to a restart on my Note 4.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hmmm, very interesting! Me thinks it's a glitch in lollipop.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like the idea of keeping the ones that are in there over a restart, because chances are good that I'll be using some of the same apps, but if I closed one a day or two ago and it hasn't popped back in there, I don't need it to be there after I restart.