Updated Root Guide

altjx

Reaction score
Is there an updated root guide for the motorola droid? The update.zip link's broken in the sticky post, and there's a few typos I think.
Click Start on your computer, and click run. Type cmd in the box, and hit ok. Now type the following, pressing Enter after each line:

cd c:\Android\tools

adb push su /data/local

adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cd /system/bin

mv su osu

cat /data/local/su > su

chmod 6755 su

ls -l *su
(you should see the following)
-rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2008-08-01 05:00 osu
-rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2009-05-30 11:28 su
(now continue typing these following lines to finish)

sync

reboot

You're done!

"adb" isn't even a command in windows to be recognized by command prompt as far as I know. I'm a bit confused here now.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Anyone? I dont understand how everyone in that forum is successful. That's crazy. How in the hell are they running those commands in command prompt? That looks more like linux/terminal commands, Not sure why the guide says do that in command prompt... heh

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I believe that guide is out of date. ADB = Android DeBugging or something of that nature. You have to installl ADB shell on your pc, and yes they a linux commands as android is linux based. If you want to root and start modding your phone I suggest Math3w's guide to rooting. Can be done 100% on your phone. Good luck.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Btw, if you brick your phone, is there a recovery method?
Also, if I wanted to go back to 2.0.1, is there a way for that too?

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
I believe that guide is out of date. ADB = Android DeBugging or something of that nature. You have to installl ADB shell on your pc, and yes they a linux commands as android is linux based. If you want to root and start modding your phone I suggest Math3w's guide to rooting. Can be done 100% on your phone. Good luck.

Have a link to that?
Nvm, found it. Thanks
Nevermind, I need a link to his guide. All I see is before you root and after you root threads.

Last edited:
OP
A

altjx

Reaction score

Yes
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...st-way-get-back-stock-no-root-no-busybox.html
and

Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid

Sweet! Perfect! thanks! im gonna go look for matth3w's guide now, im on linux i'd prefer to use my phone only if thats the case lol
Quick question, after rooting, is it already going to be 2.1? Or just a rooted version of 2.0.1? I'd like to get 2.1 after rooting too =p

Last edited:
K

kEEPING IT REAL

Yes
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...st-way-get-back-stock-no-root-no-busybox.html
and

Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid

Sweet! Perfect! thanks! im gonna go look for matth3w's guide now, im on linux i'd prefer to use my phone only if thats the case lol
Quick question, after rooting, is it already going to be 2.1? Or just a rooted version of 2.0.1? I'd like to get 2.1 after rooting too =p

No you have to go here and trust me its the best 2.1 rom out http://www.droidforums.net/forum/blackdroid/27641-ultimate-droid-5-5-ere25-base.html