1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

All in 1: Manual update and Root the Droid

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by P3Droid, Dec 9, 2009.

1. P3Droid

P3Droid New Member

First update phone to 2.0.1 either manually or via Verizon OTA push.

1) Just download this file from your droid browser
    update.zip

2) using a file manager (astro file manager works great) move the file from the download folder to the sd root folder.

3) Open your phone's keyboard. Hold down the letter X key on the keyboard and power your phone on WHILE HOLDING THIS KEY DOWN. You will see the Motorola logo, followed by a graphic with an ! mark on it. At this time let go of the X key and the power button. Press and hold the Volume + key on the side of your phone, then press the camera button while holding the Volume + key.

Now you will be presented with a menu. Navigate to "update" using the D-pad, and click the middle button. Now wait for the process to finish.

These directions are courtesy of Jarek

Now do the following. Download the following files as well.
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/download.html?v=android-sdk_r04-windows.zip
    AND
    http://www.magicandroidapps.com/su.zip
    AND
    http://www.smilepak.com/temp/Droid_USB_Driver.zip

Once you have all these files downloaded, extract them all into a new folder at C:\Android

You should now connect your Droid to your computer and Mount the SD Card through the phone (A dialogue will pop up on your phone asking to connect your SD Card. Click Mount)

Courtesy of Fadelight:
    (go to Device Manager. There you will see your droid (A855) with a yellow "!" next to it. Right click. Select "Update driver" and point it to the android folder. That is where the drivers are.) You may not need these drivers try to first without them.

Once your phone powers back on Go to Settings->Applications->Development and check the USB Debugging checkbox.

Connect your Droid to the Computer again.

Click Start on your computer, and click run. Type cmd in the box, and hit ok. Now type the following, pressing Enter after each line:

cd c:\Android\tools

adb push su /data/local

adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cd /system/bin

mv su osu

cat /data/local/su > su

chmod 6755 su

ls -l *su
    (you should see the following)
    -rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2008-08-01 05:00 osu
    -rwsr-sr-x root root 76200 2009-05-30 11:28 su
    (now continue typing these following lines to finish)

sync

reboot

You're done!

Once you have rooted your phone you are going to want to download the following app from the marketplace. Android Terminal Emulator.
    [​IMG]

Do not blame me if you brick your phone, I used this method and all of the files above to root my device. let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

This should be stickied and locked!
  3. bbcrackman

bbcrackman New Member

P3 I thank you for this, just made it a little easier for all. Nice work.
  4. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Thanks for the howto!
  5. P3Droid

P3Droid New Member

edited..removed my comments.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. civEX

civEX New Member

Courtesy of Fadelight:

(go to Device Manager. There you will see your droid (A855) with a yellow "!" next to it. Right click. Select "Update driver" and point it to the android folder. That is where the drivers are.)

[Now does the "Update driver" reboot you cellphone after it updates drivers? Would you unmount and unplug the phone after the update then do the bottom step and plug and mount for the commands?]

Once your phone powers back on Go to Settings->Applications->Development and check the USB Debugging checkbox.
  7. P3Droid

P3Droid New Member

No, installing the drivers will have no impact on your phone. You should unplug and replug in your phone if it is not recognized.
  8. big erick

big erick New Member

where exactly is the device manager located?
  9. noles200

noles200 New Member

I am still trying to understand this rooting thing. So can the Moto Droid 2.0.1 be rooted and put onto a Droid Eris?
  10. P3Droid

P3Droid New Member

This is in your control panel, settings -->you only need to do this if your computer does not recognize your phone. So far on three computers they have all recongnized the phone without needing to do this.
  11. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

great guide, if you manually update, will you no long recive the automatic updates?
  12. Alcapwn89

Alcapwn89 New Member

If you manually update, you should still receive automatic updates.

However, if you ROOT your phone, you will no longer receive automatic updates.
  13. big erick

big erick New Member

everything goes good until i put cd/system/bin..... I can see the system file and see the bin has su in it, is the file in the wrong place or something? it gives me an error system bin not found.
  14. phreakaj

phreakaj New Member

If I already got the ota update do I need to manually apply update.zip or can I root with my update??
  15. thetruth

thetruth New Member

Thanks for the awesome write up. It was very helpful.
  16. Raziel36

Raziel36 New Member

The update.zip file on the first post isn't the 2.01 update. It's just used to add the SU files to the phone. So, yes, you still need to use the update.zip from this thread to get root access.
  17. MikeDroid

MikeDroid New Member

Verizon has push available last night and did not take long and that is the best route to take. Improved quite a few things. The unlock is now cooler looking and more functional, improved camera a great deal re focus ect.
  18. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

The whole point of rooting a phone is to give you administrator-rights to the Operating System. It's not a way to copy the capabilities of one phone to another.

If you don't know what you're doing, you CAN and WILL destroy your phone. Verizon will NOT help you if you screw it up -- in fact, they will probably void your warranty if they find out that you were trying to root your phone.

Having said all that, you gain some really cool features with a rooted phone. Total control over EVERYTHING on the phone, not just what the Google/Motorola/Verizon developers want you to have control over. There is also a small selection of apps on the Market (and elsewhere) that will only run on a rooted phone.

But if you're liking the feature-set you've got on your phone, and don't really feel the need to mod it, then rooting is probably not for you.
  19. praeceps

praeceps New Member

Let this be known that this does not work on XP x64. MANY things don't work on XP x64. Oh well, I only have 10 OSes on my system... I'll just switch and get it to work.
  20. bluedust

bluedust New Member

I'm kinda a tech geek, I installed Linux on my PS3 just because, custom firmware on PSP, etc.

So I really want to root the phone, but I just dunno why I would, because the Droid is pretty open to begin with. If I could only run snes, nes emulators with a rooted phone I'd do it in a second for example.

I know you can overclock the phone in root, but I haven't been able to find a list of things you can do once you root.. could you list the Top 3 things you can do with a rooted Droid?

Thanks, I'm really just curious and want to know before I jump into rooting.

Edit: nm found this list:

Benefits of rooting the Droid:

A rooted Droid would allow you to modify the operating system any way you want
    User can change the handset’s visual theme
    You can use applications or functions that may be forbidden or restricted by your carrier

So I'll pass for now.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
Search tags for this page
a855 updates available
download manual droid 48

droid 1 manual

how to jailbreak droid razr x manually
how to manually root droid x2
how to manually root every file in android
how to root droid a855 with androot
manual root nexus 5

manually root android