All in 1: Manual update and Root the Droid

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
looks to me like there are two methods to root the device.. shown in the first post.. update.zip style or window style..

im wondering if there are SD mount issues after rooting.. ??

How to Root Droid

either way, im doing it.. i want nexus 2.1 and i want to overclock.. its just a phone ffs.

Demonbrn

Reaction score
cd c:\Android\tools

adb push su /data/local

adb shell

su

I keep getting "Permission Denied" on bold section, any ideas? Says 'update.zip' was successfully installed, and from my understanding, that's what gives permission. Probably be better to PM me with and answer, thanks!

Last edited:

altjx

Reaction score
Sorry if I seem a bit new here, but someone said if you root a droid and you do something terribly wrong, you can get a bricked droid and can't get out of it? Is that true?

Basically what you're doing is pushing an update to your phone with SU .apk slipped in. Like with any software update is something happens during the update, your battery goes out or you physically pull the battery out for example, then yes, bad things will happen.

Yes, I know bad things can happen. My question is is there a way to unbrick it, pretty much

altjx

Reaction score
Also, the update.zip file linked in the first post is invalid or deleted

D

Dragon3463

Just curious, if you root your droid. Does the 2.1 update overwrite this? Just curious..

ian5577

Reaction score
can i root with the given update if my phone is not from verizon? i bought it in HK

Leasa

Reaction score
I guess I have the same thoughts. If I root my phone and screw it up, is there anyway to set it back to factory? And is it a waste of time to do it since the update comes out tomorrow? I had the unofficial OS on my BB Tour, but that was simply downloading the OS to my computer and installing it to my phone, this doesnt sound as simple. Yes, its just a phone, but I cant afford to drop another $600 to buy a new one cause its now a paperweight lol.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I have the same thoughts. If I root my phone and screw it up, is there anyway to set it back to factory? And is it a waste of time to do it since the update comes out tomorrow? I had the unofficial OS on my BB Tour, but that was simply downloading the OS to my computer and installing it to my phone, this doesnt sound as simple. Yes, its just a phone, but I cant afford to drop another $600 to buy a new one cause its now a paperweight lol.

yes there are all kinds of ways best bet once rooted install nandroid and create a backup..

evanist00

Reaction score
The update seems to not be taking. Followed all the steps and the only weird thing I could see was the file size after the ls -l *su line were both 76232

Any ideas?

occollegeboi

Reaction score
backflip from AT&T??

Is this the same process for an AT&T motorola backflip? My friend wants me to figure out if that can be rooted/jailbroken. Thanks.

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
is it really as hard as it seems because i want to truly understand the point of gaining access to the phone like what benfits

rwking

Reaction score
I've got a Bionic now, but was planning on just playing around with my original DROID. The first two download links in the OP no longer work. They need updating.

smoove330

Reaction score
hhhmm

ok..im new to this...and was told to use liberty, what is this a general root? im sooo lost please help..:angry::frown: