***Updated*** Easy Root Available. 3 step process

tu3218

Reaction score
TU, yes thats common. Thats why I said to just redo it till it sticks. CONGRATS MAN!!!!

thanks!! you guys helped out a lot, I asked so many questions lol Can't wait to get this bloatware off of this phone and get setcpu running. Does everyone flash CW?

Last edited:

mark3748

Reaction score
TU, yes thats common. Thats why I said to just redo it till it sticks. CONGRATS MAN!!!!

thanks!! you guys helped out a lot, I asked so many questions lol Can't wait to get this bloatware off of this phone and get setcpu running. Does everyone flash CW?

Absolutely, it's a must.

Make sure to make a backup right after too. rename it fresh rooted or something you'll recognize.

Then you'll have something quick to go back to in case something goes wrong dancedroid

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo....got my TB rooted. Thanks goes especially to Capt.D who literally spent hours with me trying to sort through some issues. Also thanks to cnmsales for some good PMs about the rooting process. Hogowner your posts are also very helpful to me. Too bad you don't have a Vulcan for your ride though :)

Now I feel like I have a complete TB now. I did a combination of the long way of rooting and then the 1 step. Both have their good and bad points. It's just nice to have helpful people on DF for assistance.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to the dark side...again Vulcan!!!!

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

rg0019

Reaction score
I used this method last night in my hotel room. It was pretty simple. I had to restart the rooter.exe a couple of times. Thats about it. I rooted my TB while I packed for home.

Thanks..

Daethian

Reaction score
Yes I did the ADB for dummies.
I installed Sync and my phone is recognized when I plug it in to my PC.
I found the zip with the replacement files for 64bit (I run Win 7 64bit at home) and overwrote the files in the thunderbolt.rar (after extracting of course)

I was going to give this a shot last night but the universe told me to wait. Plus my battery was dead. Hopefully tonight. Thanks again for the detail, fast help!

Yeah it shouldnt matter were you unzip it.

I would recomend installing ADB first with the dummies method I linked to.

You then need to have htc sync drivers installed. Verify its working by making sure its seeing the phone.

Then just use the root app. The root app should reboot your phone every step. If it doesnt reboot, DO NOT reboot on your own. Run the step again until it reboots. If you have to retry, and you probably will unplug then phone from USB make sure its set to debug, and charge only, try it again. Rinse and repeat for steps 1 - 3.

billjohnson

Reaction score
So I've been an advanced Android user for a long time and rooted the ol' Droid first thing but I'm having some issues that make me feel like a n00b. I've ran this installer setp-by-step more than three times and it flashes the bootloader and such and will reboot just as the instructions state....but no root. Yes I've tested with multiple apps. Something I noticed in the bootloader flashing is (I believe it's TP) in the list of items to updated states that it gets bypassed....I wonder if that's the reason.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tu3218

Reaction score
So I've been an advanced Android user for a long time and rooted the ol' Droid first thing but I'm having some issues that make me feel like a n00b. I've ran this installer setp-by-step more than three times and it flashes the bootloader and such and will reboot just as the instructions state....but no root. Yes I've tested with multiple apps. Something I noticed in the bootloader flashing is (I believe it's TP) in the list of items to updated states that it gets bypassed....I wonder if that's the reason.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did the whole process as well and had no root the first time even when it did reboot as it described it should. I ran step 3 again, and let it reboot once again and then I had root. I would try step 3 again.

billjohnson

Reaction score
Trying it again and after reading the PDF I noticed that it wasn't rebooting after step 3 any time. It just says congratulations but I'll keep trying.

billjohnson

Reaction score

I did the whole process as well and had no root the first time even when it did reboot as it described it should. I ran step 3 again, and let it reboot once again and then I had root. I would try step 3 again.

FYI on the initial boot even though it flashes, the SD Checking states "No Images....."

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Its supposed to, just keep doing step 3 till it reboots. You may need to unplug and plug phone back in.

LTLFTCer

Reaction score
Just to clarify before I root again, the Thunderboltroot.rar does NOT need to be unzipped to a folder inside the ADB tools folder, right? It can be unzipped anywhere? I know I did this before and was rooted, but I had some problems and unrooted, want to double check.

Thanks!

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Edit - Nevermind - the post 2 above mine answered my question. lol. I'm attempting root now.

HAHAHAHA I'm ROOTED! After sitting on the fence for over a week (being a veteran Droid 1 rooter) I did it. Everything went really well!

Last edited: