[Updated] Droid X Gingerbread Update Comes With New Bootloader that Stops Root Access

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I would think twice about jumping to Sprint unless you want all of that spying crap on your phone that Sprint has on their Android phones. I am starting to find that Android isn't much better than the iPhone when it comes to draconian controls.

Even if you are rooted? If not, then it would not matter to me. Sprint seems more root-friendly than verizon.

The main thing I was worried about going to Sprint was their network. I have heard mixed reviews. Thats one place where Verizon shines.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think twice about jumping to Sprint unless you want all of that spying crap on your phone that Sprint has on their Android phones. I am starting to find that Android isn't much better than the iPhone when it comes to draconian controls.

Even if you are rooted? If not, then it would not matter to me. Sprint seems more root-friendly than verizon.

The main thing I was worried about going to Sprint was their network. I have heard mixed reviews. Thats one place where Verizon shines.
while vzw seems to be implementing "drastic" changes, don't think this won't bleed into Sprint's realm. the grass isn't always greener...

Diab210

Reaction score
Not sure why everyone is having a fit about this. Pretty much every update fixes previous root exploits, and the dev community just finds more. This update has apparently already been rooted, just not released to the public yet:

OTA 4.5.588 Has Root!

This. Ignoring that it fixes the root vulnerabilities which like Detonation said has happened consistently in the past anyway the only difference is the "silent" update. Yes it kind of sucks for those that are rooted but for your common, every day, non rooted droid user it might be considered a perk or at least isn't a big deal. I don't think this is anything to stress about.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know its popular to hate on Motorola in the root, ROM community. But some of yall act like this is something new.

Were some of yall around here for the Droid 1 and trying to root 2.2.? It wasnt a walk in the park in the beginning. And that was a stock Android device. How about rooting the Incredible? That was definitely no cake walk in the beginning.

I mean if you dont like Motorola for whatever reason, fine. But lets try to keep things in perspective.

Droosh

Reaction score
This seems rather... 'shifty'. What do you guys think?

I agree. Your journalism is rather "shifty." I suggest you think before you post news. This was disproved well before your post.

DefinNormal

Reaction score
This install is not silent.. It downloads automatically then asks if you want to install. This release does not "block root" either, any more than is usual for GoogoMotoVerizonrolale when fixing security vulnerabilities. This release has been rooted. Get your facts somewhat straight before causing an uproar.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Folks get a grip already. For one they have NOT blocked ROOT on the new X GB build as P3 already has it rooted and is running it. He has a few folks doing testing also on it before it is put out.

Secondly these changes are not relative to Moto or even just VZW. All the carriers are working together in the backround to stop some of this stuff as well as google being involved. There is a serious concern about privacy & theft of service which is why this is all going on. And for any of you folks who think HTC, Samsung or even LG will be any different down the road you are going to be sadly mistaken. Every mfgs device will be locked up at some point within the next 12-18 months on all carriers. And if you seem to think the Moto bootloader lockdown is bad you have not seen anything yet from what I'm being told by some insiders.

Robdiesel

Reaction score
Why would you want to leave Verizon for Sprint!? Motto makes the best phones hands down. Verizon costumer service is top of the line.

Sent from my DROIDX

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
I am guessing Big Red would not kind us rooters as much if some of us were not racking up serious data with wireless tethers some people take to much advantage of this motto I dont know what there excuse is but if they dont straiten up & fly right they will lose all there customers to HTC as HTC as decided to play ball with rooters & all around the general idea behind android by releasing the kernel source code & look @ HTC Go 11 Billion dollar 1st Quarter !!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't the TB have a locked bootloader?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I admit my response was a bit of a knee jerk reaction. But the writing is on the wall. Moto's going to bring the heat when it comes to restricting the access in the next round of phones. They can have it. Before having a D1 with VWZ, and an iPhone on AT&T. And before that I used Sprint for 6 years (I was tethering with my Mogul way back in the day). Sprint isn't bad at all.

I'd give up VZWs sweet 4G and A+ reception for Sprint any day, especially if it's because VZW and Moto are acting like rooters and modders are all thieving scum and persona non grata. It seems like every time I hear something about wireless companies shortening their leashes Moto and VZW are always in the middle of it.

I'm not saying everyone else is rolling out the red carpet, but they most certainly aren't treating ROM devs, and rooters like roaches at a cake factory, unlike SOME companies I know. I really don't feel like getting stuck with a phone for X years that no one wants to develop things for.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake earlier. I meant trying to root 2.1 was not easy in the beginning for the Droid 1.

Yea....2.1.

xmguy

Reaction score
I know that right now this isn't the end of the world. Since the bootloader didn't update even if you get the "silent" update you can still revert back and install Droid X Bootstrap for Clockwork Recovery. Or if you already have it, then the install will be blocked as others have stated.

GB WILL be rooted. It's a matter of time.