[Updated] Droid X Gingerbread Update Comes With New Bootloader that Stops Root Access

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 13, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

[Updated:] It has been shown through recent reports that this info turned out to be a mistake on a developer's part, and that the info is not accurate. Unfortunately, sometimes in journalism, that happens. We bring you the news that we think you would like to know as quickly as we can. Sometimes the rumor-mill on the interwebs can be impossible to predict or confirm. Also, sometimes there is a time-delay while we write up our articles in which new info arises that we don't know about. We do our best to be as accurate as possible, but occasionally we miss some things. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A few weeks ago we reported a leaked Gingerbread update for the Droid X. Today, Verizon & Motorola are stealthily rolling out a newer version of that same update. However, don't rush to grab it if you are rooted. Apparently, they have added in "an extra surprise" to this version. It comes with a new bootloader that effectively eliminates your root access.
    Here is a warning and quote from the source of this article,
    This seems rather... 'shifty'. What do you guys think? This is happening right now, and we will keep you apprised if anything changes.

Source: AndroidPolice
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. Enik

Enik New Member

Another reason I wanna switch from Verizon or from Moto. I'm sure people will find a way to remedy this some day, but for now I'm jumping over to sprint.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

Can't you just sbf back to 2.3.340 and reroot if you take the ota? P3Droid tweeted that sbfing back to froyo worked fine. I guess I just don't see the big deal if sbf still works. I can't imagine it will stay unrootable for long.
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

You're right. P3 showed a screenshot of being on the OTA GB and having the little "Superuser rights" popup over it. The root just hasn't been released yet.
  5. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

There are so many other things that they could apply their manpower to, like improving the overall user experience, or getting an official update out to their other devices like the Xoom. But instead this is what they choose to team up with Verizon to do. It's not so much that rooting is that important to me, but it puts their view of people like us into perspective. They really don't want your business and don't care what you want from your device. They don't want your feedback, and they don't want to see any kind of development from you. They simply want you to rent your device, pay on time, and shut the h@ll up.

I'm only one man and I'm sure they won't miss me, but I'm OUT when the next wave of phones hit. I'm going to test out Sprint when the EVO 3D drops. If Sprint is a significant drop in reliability I may get whatever HTC is offering from VZW. But there is a 0% chance that I'm buying a Motorola and VZWs chances of keeping me are 50/50 at best.

It's been real. And if anyone asks me I with vehemently advise them to stay away.
  6. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

No, I think "obnoxious" is the word you are looking for.

I think I may be saying goodbye to Verizon after this contract period. I've already written off Motorola. Will probably be going to Sprint next...better phones and better policies and better prices.

I will miss Verizon's network. And their service was pretty good. But thats about it.
  7. icebluemale30

icebluemale30 New Member

I looked at the bootloader with the hold camera+down vol +power it still says 30.04 bootloader isnt that the same as before ? or am i missing something ?
  8. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I had heard that the bootloader didn't change which makes sense seeing as you can sbf back to Froyo still.

tappin and a talkin
  9. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team Premium Member Developer

I am guessing Big Red would not kind us rooters as much if some of us were not racking up serious data with wireless tethers some people take to much advantage of this motto I dont know what there excuse is but if they dont straiten up & fly right they will lose all there customers to HTC as HTC as decided to play ball with rooters & all around the general idea behind android by releasing the kernel source code & look @ HTC Go 11 Billion dollar 1st Quarter !!!!!!!!!!!
  10. brkshr

brkshr New Member

Yep! I'm OUT too! VZW and Moto are getting too sneaky/greedy. It's a shame, because I believe they provide the best service/hardware, but I'm not game for this sneaky crap. Nexus S here I come.
  11. reuuin88

reuuin88 New Member

Yeah I manually updated last night, then sbfd back. The bootloader was still labeled 30.04
  12. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

This is why I left Motorola for HTC. I will never look back. Already encouraged several people to buy phones that were not Motorola. Sad to see this happening.
  13. supermandroid

supermandroid Member

Wow this is "shady" at best... I wouldn't have considered Sprint until I found out about tiered data plans, and if THIS is true then I just got pushed over the edge. When my contract is up I'm out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  14. Detonation

Detonation New Member

Not sure why everyone is having a fit about this. Pretty much every update fixes previous root exploits, and the dev community just finds more. This update has apparently already been rooted, just not released to the public yet:

OTA 4.5.588 Has Root!
  15. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

I would think twice about jumping to Sprint unless you want all of that spying crap on your phone that Sprint has on their Android phones. I am starting to find that Android isn't much better than the iPhone when it comes to draconian controls.
  16. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

There is already a thread on this

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  17. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

Even if you are rooted? If not, then it would not matter to me. Sprint seems more root-friendly than verizon.

The main thing I was worried about going to Sprint was their network. I have heard mixed reviews. Thats one place where Verizon shines.
  18. 640k

640k Active Member

while vzw seems to be implementing "drastic" changes, don't think this won't bleed into Sprint's realm. the grass isn't always greener...
  19. Diab210

Diab210 New Member

This. Ignoring that it fixes the root vulnerabilities which like Detonation said has happened consistently in the past anyway the only difference is the "silent" update. Yes it kind of sucks for those that are rooted but for your common, every day, non rooted droid user it might be considered a perk or at least isn't a big deal. I don't think this is anything to stress about.
  20. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

This +1000. And I think it too early to say it cant be rooted.
Search tags for this page

droid x gingerbread bootloader