Update Preparation for Rooted Bionic with stock.902 ROM

madmako

Reaction score
My last rooted update got so ugly, I ended up having to get a warranty replacement. With the replacement Bionic, I re-rooted but have not removed any VZW bloatware as I had before the .902 which I believe caused the OTA failure, so it remains "stock". The following items are installed on the phone now

I have .902.XT875
Bionic Bootstrapper
SuperUser
VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper
Titanium Backup Pro with Dropbox

With VooDoo in place, should I not be concerned about the impending OTA update? If necessary, I'd like to prepare for a hassle free update.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
My last rooted update got so ugly, I ended up having to get a warranty replacement. With the replacement Bionic, I re-rooted but have not removed any VZW bloatware as I had before the .902 which I believe caused the OTA failure, so it remains "stock". The following items are installed on the phone now

I have .902.XT875
Bionic Bootstrapper
SuperUser
VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper
Titanium Backup Pro with Dropbox

With VooDoo in place, should I not be concerned about the impending OTA update? If necessary, I'd like to prepare for a hassle free update.

U must select protect root an the right before u update select the temp unrooted an then update an when the install is done just restore root :)

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
U must select protect root an the right before u update select the temp unrooted an then update an when the install is done just restore root :)

Thank you for your response, but I'm a bit embarrassed to ask what app you are referring to when you replied I must "select protect root on the right" before I update and "select the temp unrooted" On the right of what? I didn't find such a selection in the apps I previously stated above. Or, will such options just pop up prior to the VZW update from VooDoo?

Sorry if I have to be stepped through the process, but as it's said: "An ounce of prevention....."

Thanks, again!

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
Thank you for your response, but I'm a bit embarrassed to ask what app you are referring to when you replied I must "select protect root on the right" before I update and "select the temp unrooted" On the right of what? I didn't find such a selection in the apps I previously stated above. Or, will such options just pop up prior to the VZW update from VooDoo?

Sorry if I have to be stepped through the process, but as it's said: "An ounce of prevention....."

Thanks, again!

Its voodoo ota root keeper just open it select protect root then select temp unroot then install the ota update then after updating open voodoo an select restore root

welsalex

Reaction score
Well this seems good to know. If I'm understanding this right then you are saying if you have root and are protected with voodoo, then you need to do temp unroot or there will be problems?

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
welsalex said:
Well this seems good to know. If I'm understanding this right then you are saying if you have root and are protected with voodoo, then you need to do temp unroot or there will be problems?

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

Yes just to be safe cuz some people retain root others don't with the update better safe than sorry

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
OK, to be clear, when VZW sends out the OTA update, before I allow it to begin, I go to VooDoo and temporarily unroot. Then allow the update to begin. Upon completion of the process, with the phone operating normally, return to VooDoo and re-root.

Do I have the process correct?

(In VooDoo, there's a 'delete su backup' option. I don't know what it does, so I leave it alone.)

Thanks!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
OK, to be clear, when VZW sends out the OTA update, before I allow it to begin, I go to VooDoo and temporarily unroot. Then allow the update to begin. Upon completion of the process, with the phone operating normally, return to VooDoo and re-root.

Do I have the process correct?

(In VooDoo, there's a 'delete su backup' option. I don't know what it does, so I leave it alone.)

Thanks!
You don't need to unroot to get the OTA installed. The OTA fails if you've removed any bloat.

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
That's exactly what happened to me with the last OTA update. As I recall, even upon restoration of the bloatware I had removed, the OTA still failed even with master resets. I kept getting VZW install attempts, only to result in failures.

This time, I have allowed the clutter to remain (I think...I hope).

From what little I've read, all nonsense goes away with ICS, right?

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
That's exactly what happened to me with the last OTA update. As I recall, even upon restoration of the bloatware I had removed, the OTA still failed even with master resets. I kept getting VZW install attempts, only to result in failures.

This time, I have allowed the clutter to remain (I think...I hope).

From what little I've read, all nonsense goes away with ICS, right?

Knowing motor don't get ur hopes up they may have deblured their UI but that doest mean they will debloat it cuz they get paid to put bloatware on ur phone

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Oh. I had the impression ICS was to provide greater freedom, without root, to the user. Not sure what "deblur" is or what it will do, but from what you indicate, bloatware will continue to hold us hostage.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
Oh. I had the impression ICS was to provide greater freedom, without root, to the user. Not sure what "deblur" is or what it will do, but from what you indicate, bloatware will continue to hold us hostage.

Have u seen the UI of the the ICS roms we have or the UI of the OG DROID compared to the bionics UI? The ICS an OG DROID UI's are deblured the bionics UI is not ex. The loading circles u get when u open an app or browser are completely different

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
New OTA update failed. I temporarily unrooted with voodoo. No bloatware removed ( I don't even know how to "freeze" them.)

I wasn't notified, but my wife's stock phone received a notification and her phone is fine after the update. I performed the update thru the phone settings.

Am still unrooted, but don't know next steps. Help is appreciated.
Thanks.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
madmako said:
New OTA update failed. I temporarily unrooted with voodoo. No bloatware removed ( I don't even know how to "freeze" them.)

I wasn't notified, but my wife's stock phone received a notification and her phone is fine after the update. I performed the update thru the phone settings.

Am still unrooted, but don't know next steps. Help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Are u bootstraped or safe strapped or have u edited the boot animation?

OP
M

madmako

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I have Bionic Bootstrap and on opening there are 2 choices: Bootstrap Recovery and Reboot Recovery. I can't recall where or why I have it, but never to the best of my knowledge have ever used it. The scary app icon enough was incentive not to use it.

No, I never messed with any startup functions or screens.

Thanks again.