"Unlocked" Question

jsandy

Reaction score
What exactly is meant by "unlocked"? I'm currently on a rooted Razr Maxx with a grandfathered unlimited verizon data plan. I want to get either an S4 or a Note3. I know that, in order to keep the unlimited plan, I will be paying full price for either. Since I have to pay full price anyway should I buy the "unlocked" version? Will I be able to root and use a custom recovery if I get the "unlocked" version? Thanks for any advice.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
What exactly is meant by "unlocked"? I'm currently on a rooted Razr Maxx with a grandfathered unlimited verizon data plan. I want to get either an S4 or a Note3. I know that, in order to keep the unlimited plan, I will be paying full price for either. Since I have to pay full price anyway should I buy the "unlocked" version? Will I be able to root and use a custom recovery if I get the "unlocked" version? Thanks for any advice.
You can buy a Verizon Galaxy S4, i545 model, Developer Edition with unlocked Bootloader from Samsung for $650. They ship overnight for $20. Take the sim card out of your current phone, put it in your S4 and use Verizon's online activation...works like a charm...I did that 4 days ago.