Unhappy Sammy - 16 Percent Return Rate for Samsung Galaxy Tab

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
smashed-galaxy-tab.jpg

A report from ITG Investment Research indicates that an alarmingly high number of people are returning their Samsung Galaxy Tab's after purchase. They tracked the return data from nearly 6000 point-of-sale systems at wireless stores in the U.S. from November through January 15. According to their findings, returns on the Galaxy Tab hit a whopping 16 percent. Compare that with Apple's iPad which had a return rate of just 2 percent and you get a broader perspective on just how bad that is. It makes you wonder why? Is their a major design flaw? Is the Froyo OS not really optimized for the tablet? For all you Galaxy Tab users out there... sound off in the forums and let us know what you think may be causing this.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via DigitalDaily

Last edited:

edbdroid

Reaction score
If your Tab looks like the one you've pictured above, chances are your problem is eating greasy finger foods just prior to picking up your device.

B

BUFFALOMADMAN

I dont own one but if I had to guess I would say that it is because that the os is too much like a phone. If you spend a lot of money on a tab you want a tab expierence not one like your phone. Thats why I am really excited for the xoom and honeycomb because everything will be for a tablet not a phone os.

mach330

Reaction score
got a tab. i kind'a agree, it's ok. certain things lag. i hope we get honeycomb and see what this thing can really do.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I dont own one but if I had to guess I would say that it is because that the os is too much like a phone. If you spend a lot of money on a tab you want a tab expierence not one like your phone. Thats why I am really excited for the xoom and honeycomb because everything will be for a tablet not a phone os.

This is true, but the iPad is pretty much the same thing as an iPhone XD. I'm a little surprised by this statistic because I played with it in best buy and it was pretty good. Maybe the lag?

Reaction score
I have owned the Galaxy Tab since the day it was released and I love mine! It runs smoother and more reliably than any other Android device I own. I honestly don't understand why the return rate would be so high on it - I would never return mine, it's my favorite toy!

mjforte

Reaction score

I hate when people use this excuse though because look at the iPad. It's the exact same thing as an iPhone just a bigger screen without the phone aspect. Honeycomb is where it's at. A REAL tablet OS for once.

crazyivan

Reaction score
I am willing to bet some of these returns are do to issues with corporate email. My company only supports Blackberry and iPhone for our corporate email, and most of my coworkers have iPads. One bought a Galaxy tab but unfortunately had to return it and go with an iPad instead. I am sure there are a lot of people who thought "hey this will be great for working remote," only to learn the hard way their companies had other things in mind. I would LOVE to get a XOOM when it comes out, but if I cant access my work email on it theres really no point. It's why my happy butt will be up at 2am thursday morning to preorder an iphone :-( I love Android, but i'm on call 24/7/365 and if I cant respond to an email from my phone it really puts me in a bind. Getting tired of having to lug my laptop with me everywhere I go in the event I have to pull it out and tether it to my D2 to respond

tktouch12

Reaction score
i have used this tab for a total of about 5 minutes at a store one time and right away i just thought it was terrible. mostly the fact that it had froyo on it. it was just a big phone. i thought thats what the ipad was going to be, but all the ipad apps are set up differently than iphone apps. with honeycomb this will probably be better, but it seemed already kind of slow, so honeycomb might slow it down too much. i think the xoom is really going to be the first good android tablet

Arcstriker

Reaction score
I must say, I wasn't "thrilled" with the tab when I first bought it. Also owning a Droid X as my cell phone, the tab just seemed to me like a big cell phone that didn't make phone calls... It was even hard to explain to co-workers the reason I bought it. Everything the Tab could do, my Droid X can do, and while comparing to other tablets or "pads" yes the Tab was nice and portable, however, so was my Droid X.

It did begin to grow on me a little for watching movies, I would still like to see a car mount for it, not only one that mounts this monster to a dash, but one that can mount the Tab to the headrest so someone can watch a movie on it in the back seat.

I never did try the HDMI cable to see if you could play your Samsung Media Gallary videos on the TV, but I know A/V didn't allow it. Another kick in the balls for android users as the HDMI cable for the Droid X doesn't allow copy right video to be played over it either. I don't understand why considering the iPod/iPhone/iPad/iEverything that plays video will allow you to play it on the TV so whats the deal... Why is Android targeted for such road blocks, Hulu Plus, and Netflix Streaming would be nice on it as well, iPad can!... Infact after writing this, I would return this tab on all that alone had it been with in the time frame. LOL

Bottom line... The Galaxy Tab = Oversized Cell Phone.... Shadowed by the same fate as Google TV... Basically Google needs to **** or get off the pot when it comes to these devices.

Thats my 2 cents about it anyway

accellpo

Reaction score
When it first came out, I tried the Tab at Best Buy, and I really liked it. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I knew Google and Moto was coming with something special. The funny thing is I still want one and fighting myself to resist it. Its an everyday struggle!:palm:

patfactorx

Reaction score
Buyers remorse. Thats why u cant announce new products so early

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I played with the tablet and i posted it before on the forums. IMHO it's not that great of a device. The galaxy phone is better than the tablet especially for the price...

azules9780

Reaction score
Buyers remorse. Thats why u cant announce new products so early

I'm with this guy. It seems "especially on this forum" that people will return something because something better is coming out. Or, like with the Droid 1 and other phones, people have said they have issues or tried to make it have issues so they can get the next new thing. I'm not saying all of the owners but I guarantee there is a large percentage of that 16%.

Also, iOS guys seem to blindly follow Apple off a cliff and as far as they're concerned, there is no other tablet out there.

It could be that it was kind of a half-baked product trying to get something to market to compete with the iPad. I mean they are going to release version 2 really quickly after the first one.

Overall, a number of things have conspired against it.

Just my .02

CLG

Reaction score
I love my Tab

I got my Tab a few days after it was released-had a choice of that or an iPad for my birthday gift. I got and still have the original Droid when it was released the year before (also a gift...lucky me!). My husband has an iPad. I gotta say, my Tab rocks! Much faster than my phone, smaller and lighter than the other guy (which was important to me to carry around). I love having the 3G available when I'm away from a wifi connection. I am really happy with it. Not sure why so many returns are reported-but I am a happy and well-connected user!