Unhappy new customer

mr5038

Reaction score
I've had the Moto Droid for 2 weeks now and I am not impressed. Specifically unresolved issues surrounding emails, email accounts, attachments, etc.

I need my Droid to replace a blackberry in sending and receiving a large number of emails daily, AND I DON'T WANT TO USE A GMAIL ACCOUNT. I feel that this system really doesn't play nice with non-gmail accounts.

Primary email is an exchange server, secondary is Comcast POP3 account.

-- Cannot open any attachments - .doc, .docx, .pdf, etc. Downloaded the free Docs to Go app and it won't open anything. Downloaded BeamReader PDF viewer and it won't open .pdfs.

-- Attachments can't be forwarded?? How is it possible that I can't default that any attachment will be forwarded with the original message?

-- False email notifications from Comcast account and most Comcast emails load slowly.

-- I downloaded K-9 and it won't play nice with my exchange server email account. Several have failed to set up K-9 so that I can receive my work emails.

This is a terrible native email program.

Are there legit fixes available or is the solution to 'Go Gmail or go home'?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have any answers for your email because I use Yahoo and GMail only.

Am I correct in making the assumption that you are an unhappy new customer specifically because of the email issues you are having?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, it seems like if you refuse to use gmail, you don't have many options... remember though, you got a new email address with your blackberry for exchange too, that's just the way of things. did you try searching for a solution on these forums? i only ask because i have seen about a billion exchange related threads..

Vladimir

Reaction score
Are you on the their exchange server email/web setup? Because the support you are complaining about is typically on your IT departments side not the phone, I use a few different email setups including GMail and Yahoo, and a few private ones, and I have none of those issues...

cbushnell

Reaction score
I've been using Touchdown for a couple of months as my Corporate email solution, I don't have any of the problems you're experiencing. Give it a try. Well worth it imho.

roflcopters

Reaction score
If you absolutely will not use Gmail, why did you buy a phone powered by Google, and runs mostly off of Gmail push?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I can vouch for touchhdown as well. A friend of mine uses it and swears by it.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have two email accounts on my Droid. My office account is Exchange. I've had no problems receiving, sending, or deleting. The only thing I've not been able to do is to move mail from my inbox to a different mailbox. I receive a significant amount of mail each day. I tried the dataviz app but removed it and use the office quick. So far no issues.

My other account is Gmail. To-date, it handles everything and I can move mail to different folders.

Perhaps a conversation with the email or sys admin would resolve.

Mike

pilot25

Reaction score
Droid won't be a blackberry. I'm still having a hard time getting used to the inferior calendar and e-mail programs on the phone. Blackberry wins those applications hands down however it obviously lacks the Droids other features. Droid isn't a business mans phone. BB definitely is.

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
What you say is true about android doesn't play nice with other email accounts.
I have never used gmail before i got the droid but it's growing on me. I dont have any problems that you explain though with other accounts.
I assumed that when I bought the phone that gmail must be used with this software and it sort of does.

What is your reason behind not liking the way gmail works. I like it because of no adds!

Jeremy556

Reaction score
For Exchange integration, you can't beat BB. To even be usable, you are going to have to purchase Touchdown in the Market.

Shame really that Google has not addressed this. 95% of the corporate world is on Exchange, and will NEVER switch to GMail. Many enterprises specifically ban Androids because of the lack of security and policy management. If they would integrate with Exchange (which they could if they wanted to) they could bury RIM, but as it stands now, Android is going to continue to be more of a consumer device.

jahtv98

Reaction score
I gotta honestly say that the Mot Droid kinda sucks regarding emails and such. Blackberry takes the edge on this matter. I personally use Hotmail on my droid and of course GMAIl. I never get my hotmail emails correctly. At times, I even get notifications of new emails, emails that are a few days old and already read on my computer. I gave up with verizon tech support so I decided to forward all my Hotmail emails to Gmail....Im still not receiving them on time.

I never had a problem with my blackberry. I still love my droid though. I dont use my emails as much, mostly personal. I can see why a business person or someone that uses their emails a lot can be frustrating.

jahtv98

Reaction score
For Exchange integration, you can't beat BB. To even be usable, you are going to have to purchase Touchdown in the Market.

Shame really that Google has not addressed this. 95% of the corporate world is on Exchange, and will NEVER switch to GMail. Many enterprises specifically ban Androids because of the lack of security and policy management. If they would integrate with Exchange (which they could if they wanted to) they could bury RIM, but as it stands now, Android is going to continue to be more of a consumer device.

Touche! Well said

cyclops

Reaction score
I use my Droid primarily for work email, but love the flexibility all the other applications provide. Touchdown does the trick for me. I also receive my msn mail via my gmail inbox, works great.

Jeremy556

Reaction score

Touche! Well said
I run enterprise messaging for a living, and have more than one Exchange cluster in my home network :icon_ devil: