Unhappy new customer

bossrogue

Reaction score
For Exchange integration, you can't beat BB. To even be usable, you are going to have to purchase Touchdown in the Market.

Shame really that Google has not addressed this. 95% of the corporate world is on Exchange, and will NEVER switch to GMail. Many enterprises specifically ban Androids because of the lack of security and policy management. If they would integrate with Exchange (which they could if they wanted to) they could bury RIM, but as it stands now, Android is going to continue to be more of a consumer device.

Well said. It all comes down to preference, and no the Droid is no businessman's phone, some things BlackBerry still wins, and that's Exchange integration. It all comes down to preference, Droid isn't for everyone.

OP
M

mr5038

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. Frankly, I'm a little surprised how everyone seems to accept the fact that Blackberry is better for emails and exchange integration. I'm having problems getting my Droid to do things that my blackberry was doing 5 years ago.

Having said that, on your advice I did download and setup the free version of Touchdown. Setup and syncing was a breeze and, more importantly, email attachments were readily viewable! Surprising to me, I can view them using Quick Office, which is exactly what wouldn't work for me when I used Droid's native email program. So all is not lost. I HATE the fact that I will have to pay for this 3rd party app to do things that the Droid should be doing out of the box, but if my first hour with Touchdown is any indication, this may be the solution to my exchange server problems. **As I write this though, I see that I have gotten 2 recent email on my desktop over 15 minutes ago that have not yet appeared on the Droid. It is setup to automatically push, so I'm not sure why there is a delay.

OP
M

mr5038

Reaction score
I also wanted to say that exchange integration is a deal breaker for me. I use the email functions far more than I do the phone or anything else on the Droid.

If I can get Touchdown working flawlessly with my work email, then I would be more willing to push my Comcast POP3 account to Gmail.

Unfortunately Touchdown does not seem to be retrieving new emails. Even when I force a manual refresh, I don't see them. I have sent and received mutliple emails in the past hour and non of them are showing up on the Droid. Why does everything have to be so hard?

Silver Member
Reaction score
unfortunately the available Android phones are not yet business call devices. call it what you will, but Google's intention was to introduce a device that promoted their own technology.

while BB phones can have better email integration, it was not always the case. BB has had to struggle through the ranks to become a consumer phone and 5 years ago, users wouldn't have even considered a BB as a personal phone.

google will get there. for now, there are enough developers to offer alternative solutions to your problem, which is what the marketplace is for.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Has it pushed email previously, or were you only viewing what it had initially synced? Did you perhaps switch to 3G from a WIFI connection that had local access to the Exchange server?

OP
M

mr5038

Reaction score
Has it pushed email previously, or were you only viewing what it had initially synced? Did you perhaps switch to 3G from a WIFI connection that had local access to the Exchange server?

I think you are right and I am only seeing what came up when I initially synced. Nothing has been pushed, and I've been getting emails on my desktop for almost 2 hours. No chance I switched to WIFI. The 3G icon is there and WIFI is turned off.

Please help me get Touchdown working. I think that it is the last chance for my Droid before it goes back.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I think you are right and I am only seeing what came up when I initially synced. Nothing has been pushed, and I've been getting emails on my desktop for almost 2 hours. No chance I switched to WIFI. The 3G icon is there and WIFI is turned off.

Please help me get Touchdown working. I think that it is the last chance for my Droid before it goes back.

Can you send from Touchdown?

CDB

Reaction score
Though the native e-mail app works great for my exchange e-mail at work, I wanted to give Touchdown a go to see what it was I might have been missing. Too many people raving about it. I download it, get it setup and are experiencing the very same problem as you - mail isn't being pushed until damn near 15+ minutes later.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Though the native e-mail app works great for my exchange e-mail at work, I wanted to give Touchdown a go to see what it was I might have been missing. Too many people raving about it. I download it, get it setup and are experiencing the very same problem as you - mail isn't being pushed until damn near 15+ minutes later.

Go into settings>advanced

What is the polling interval that is set?

Nat3Th3Ap3

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned I have never seen the Android phones as a business phone. The phones just don't provide everything that a corporate business person would need. If you ever watch comercials for Android phones they have always been geared towards the consumer not the business person. . .Acutually come to think of it Google in its self is geared towards the consumer. In my opinion if you wanted to keep all you corperate stuff you should have stuck with the blackberry.

I have owned both the blackberry and now I have the Droid. I am not a business person and I love the Droid but all I use is my gmail account.

CDB

Reaction score

I don't have it installed anymore, but it was setup for 'push', just as the native e-mail app was (which works like a champ). I'll easily chalk this up to 'user error' on my part. There are way too many people who are successfully using it. I honestly didn't bother putting 1 oz of effort into troubleshooting it. With the native e-mail app, I enter in my info - it works (for what I need). With Touchdown, I enter in my info - it works 15+ minutes later. Considering it's $20, I expected it to just work 'better' than the native e-mail app with the same effort in setting it up. I didn't have to troubleshoot the native app, is what I'm getting at.

Thanks for trying to help though, certainly appreciated.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no issues using my own domain accounts on the droid, the stock email leaves some features to be desired, however that can be corrected.

Again I say there is no reason to setup a pop3 account on a mobile device! Use IMAP.

OP
M

mr5038

Reaction score
Can you send from Touchdown?

Emails are NOT being sent. Polling interval is set for 10 minutes and 'Enable Push' is checked. I tried changing the domain name to the IP address, but that didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

OP
M

mr5038

Reaction score
Again I say there is no reason to setup a pop3 account on a mobile device! Use IMAP.

How do I do that? When I try to set up my comcast email account in the native email app, go to manual settings and choose IMAP account, I get an error message saying "Unable to open connection to server."