Understand Why Release Dates NEVER work

Engineer_900

Reaction score
This is all personal opinion, but please note there is some relative knowledge behind this statement.

Vendors project a cell phone release date to VZW typically along with the public. Usually the reason why phones are not released on their projected timeframe is because the following.
  • Vendors (HTC, Moto, etc) typically project release dates before the phone has gone through any testing or manufacturing.
  • Vendors have their own standards of testing. Some vendors do a better job at testing the phone and preparing it for VZW. VZW will test the phone after the vendor's testing to make sure it complies with VZW standards. Typically all problems that VZW testers discover must be fixed and addressed with the vendor before VZW considers releasing the phone.
  • New technology.... new software, hardware, etc are always changing. Some vendors can adapt to these changes without problems and others can not. It is the vendors job to make sure the phone works to par with VZW standards. If not, it is back to the drawing boards for the vendors/developers. Not all vendors react in a timely manner and not all vendors do a great job at teaching their employees new technology.
  • Lastly.... VZW has always been about providing #1 service and customer satisfaction. If VZW don't think it is ready for customers, then they would much rather delay the release then face bigger problems. The best way to think of it is a big company would much rather release a product that performs well VS. to release a product not 100% because the vendor projects a release date and can't meet the deadline. It is very difficult to fix a problem after the public has the phone. This does not even bring into perspective outside problems VZW could face such as lawsuit, losing customers, etc....
I think there is a huge mis-conception about phones being released on projected dates. VZW has gotten away from developing phones. Instead it is up to the vendors on providing a excellent phone for VZW to test. At the end of the day it is up to the vendors to make sure their phone works on the VZW network flawless of any basic problems... Usually this never happens and the phone must be fixed and re-tested and repeat.......

hopefully this clears up some misconceptions people have.

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good read. As a Verizon engineer, what phone company do you prefer?

SSX v2.0

OP
Engineer_900

Engineer_900

Reaction score
It really depends on how well service is in your local area. Locally for me VZW is the best statistically. However this does not consider the price tags associated. There is alot of factors involved to consider besides service such as customer satisfaction, phones for sale, prices, etc. If none of those things mattered VZW hands down. When you add other factors into the equation I would consider other providers also.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how well service is in your local area. Locally for me VZW is the best statistically. However this does not consider the price tags associated. There is alot of factors involved to consider besides service such as customer satisfaction, phones for sale, prices, etc. If none of those things mattered VZW hands down. When you add other factors into the equation I would consider other providers also.

I apologize, I meant what phone manufacturer.

SSX v2.0

OP
Engineer_900

Engineer_900

Reaction score
HTC and Motorola personally right now. Technology is always changing and you can see how RIM fell off the map quickly. I am not a big apple fan, but they also know what they are doing usually.

Time will tell... but I think motorola will get alot of attention after the bionic is released. Motorola took their time understanding 4G technology in my opinion.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moto definitely put themselves back on the map with the original Droid too. I think that is why so many people are holding out for the Bionic. They want a good phone and a fair number here hope for a phone supported by the dev community as well. HTC makes good products, I know folks that have their phones running Android as well as other OS's. Some have had no issues but I know people here as well as in RL that definitely weren't happy with battery life. Others have had no complaints though. I know if my next phone performs as well as my current I'll definitely be happy.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
HTC and Motorola personally right now. Technology is always changing and you can see how RIM fell off the map quickly. I am not a big apple fan, but they also know what they are doing usually.

Time will tell... but I think motorola will get alot of attention after the bionic is released. Motorola took their time understanding 4G technology in my opinion.

Let me ask you this....is there any kind of truth to Moto using, making their own LTE chip for the Bionic?

Have any thoughts on Moto switching from the Tegra 2 to the OMAP for the Droid 3 and Bionic?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me ask you this....is there any kind of truth to Moto using, making their own LTE chip for the Bionic?

I'm wondering about this as well. Did Moto possibly create an LTE chip that gets good, or dare I say great battery life? And...is slimmer than what is currently found in VZ devices?

I had been getting down on the release of the Bionic for a while, but after reading through all of Engineer's posts, I have a little faith restored and some new hope. There are a lot of no-knowledge downers on this forums who love to bash upon things they know nothing about. Engineer, I hope you're legit, as you've given me something to look forward to again. Thank you.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering about this as well. Did Moto possibly create an LTE chip that gets good, or dare I say great battery life? And...is slimmer than what is currently found in VZ devices?

I, personally, am very cynical of that theory, because it feels like one of those rumors that's been fostered strictly b/c this phone has been delayed so much and people want it to be better than it's going to be.

That's a 110% subjective opinion, and full of pessimism, I realize that... ;)

rhokaln

Reaction score

I can appreciate your statement regarding Motorola as "taking their time to learn 4G" and how that would relate to your high personal assessment of them. But this leads me to a further question; You also rate HTC highly, yes it cannot be said that they took their time with 4G, in fact the TB was the first 4G device out on VZW. Is your high regards due, instead, to their level of competency (despite the short time they had to learn 4G) or do you see other merits with HTC beyond their 4G performance?

I ask because I think it is more generally regarded that HTC did a not-so-good job with their first 4G device.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I am not requesting you reveal ANY NDA information, I merely want to know your PERSONAL opinion.

OP
Engineer_900

Engineer_900

Reaction score

I can appreciate your statement regarding Motorola as "taking their time to learn 4G" and how that would relate to your high personal assessment of them. But this leads me to a further question; You also rate HTC highly, yes it cannot be said that they took their time with 4G, in fact the TB was the first 4G device out on VZW. Is your high regards due, instead, to their level of competency (despite the short time they had to learn 4G) or do you see other merits with HTC beyond their 4G performance?

I ask because I think it is more generally regarded that HTC did a not-so-good job with their first 4G device.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I am not requesting you reveal ANY NDA information, I merely want to know your PERSONAL opinion.

HTC produces alot of great phones. 4G is going to take some time and mistakes in order for companies to learn what works best. 3G had similar issues when it was new, but companies have been optimizing 3G phones for nearly 10 years. The 3G technology is out-dated and it is clearly time for faster phones and speeds. One major problem everyone must begin addressing is the battery life assosicated with these 4G phones. Were all riding an uphill curve, so I don't expect things to get any worst with 4G phones, but there is going to be a few bumps along the way.

rhokaln

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

HTC produces alot of great phones. 4G is going to take some time and mistakes in order for companies to learn what works best. 3G had similar issues when it was new, but companies have been optimizing 3G phones for nearly 10 years. The 3G technology is out-dated and it is clearly time for faster phones and speeds. One major problem everyone must begin addressing is the battery life assosicated with these 4G phones. Were all riding an uphill curve, so I don't expect things to get any worst with 4G phones, but there is going to be a few bumps along the way.

I agree. At the risk of poking a little bit further, how well would you say more recent 4G phones are dealing with the battery issue? Do you expect battery longevity to get better sooner, or later? Does the inclusion of (lets just say hypothetically) higher efficiency screens, like pentile, help alleviate this issue? What about dual cores?

:heart:

OP
Engineer_900

Engineer_900

Reaction score
hopefully batteries continue to get better! however as technology keeps advancing we always seem to see more power required, not less. Efficient energy is going to hopefully help with this process. Lots of companies are working already on ways to save power, energy, costs, etc. So I can't really see things getting any worst, but thats just my opinion. I am not an expert on power. If you want to research some, look into something called "RFID." Hopefully one day our phones will charge freely from RF signal frequencies. Whoever figures out a efficient way to do this will be a billionaire. I hope one day we will eliminate cords, but there is alot to be done before we see this day.

i personally am satisfied with my battery life if that answers your question :)