Unactivated phone can't access market through wifi

steelersrock

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please be nice as I am brand new to this! I bought a used droid (it has a clean esn) for my 12 year old thinking he could still use it on wifi and access the market to download apps etc. without actually activating it on an expensive plan. I can access wifi, surf the web, pull up my gmail, but it will not pull up the market. I have pulled the battery, done a factory reset, cleared cache, all things I was able to find on these forums but nothing has worked. When I touch market it comes up as "Attention: An error has occurred. Please try again later." And the background screen says "Web page not available". I'm sorry if the answer is somewhere else but I have spent hours the last two days reading so many posts and have not found a solution yet. I know it is possible, it is probably something simple but I am not very knowledgable about these things. My son and I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Droid Kain

Reaction score
Is it the android market app? Or Google play? If its not Google play (the new market version) you might have to download and install it... just guessing into the wind. The original DROID came with market app stock so if its inactivated it probably doesn't have the Google play app installed. Hence the errors. Just Google "Google play apk" and download it then install it. Might have to allow 3rd party app install too... assuming that this is your problem...

I had similar errors on a friends device where he somehow managed to delete the market without loosing the icon (weird I know). I installed from the stand alone apk and had to reboot the phone. Worked fine afterwards. Hope this helps

Droid RAZR Tapatalk 2

nikecar

Reaction score
When you access from your PC the marketplace (https://play.google.com/) are you signed in there? Under the settings (https://play.google.com/store/account) do you see your device?

I have a REzound and an Incredible 2 and the Inc2 isn't activated, but I use it for wifi for my kids. I see the phone listed on the device list under the Play store. I also have it on Amazon, and both stores are able to download apps to it.

i'm wondering if there is no account associated with it.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I have an unactivated Droid, Droid 3 and Droid 4, all signed in with my gmail account and full access to the market (including my activated Droid 4).

Something is definitely wrong with the configuration or settings.

Try factory resetting the device and then logging in on it when it boots. To bypass the initial "setup your new phone" screen just tap in a clockwise motion the top left, top right, bottom right and then the bottom left corner.

OP
S

steelersrock

Reaction score
Ok, I looked on google play, I am logged in but it does not show my device. I have set up my gmail on the phone. I checked my account via my computer and it does not show my device. I can't figure out how to add my phone to the play store via my computer. I tried factory reset again...entered my gmail account, can access email and internet but still no market. I am so frustrated! I know it really shouldn't be this difficult!
Droid Kain: Can you give me a reliable link to downlaod the google play apk? The tried the first one that came up when I googled it but it didn't work.

Thanks everyone!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You can't add a device on Google Play so you aren't missing anything. You shouldn't have to download Google Play app as it should update the Market app automatically when connecting with the Market app.

What ROM is running on the phone? Something is missing as you should have a Market app that updates to a Google Play app after you connect to it (via...launching the Market app and signing in with your id/password).

Check for "Market" in the app drawer and launch it. If that is missing (as well as Google Play).

nikecar

Reaction score
maybe go into the settings for Applications, and then uninstall the updates for the market. Then maybe when you try to connect, it might ask to update to the latest version.

OP
S

steelersrock

Reaction score
The phone is running 2.2.3 Also when I try to access google play via the browser vs the app it gives me the same page.."Web page not available, may be temporarily down or moved to a new address..."
I know the page isn't down because I can access it on my computer. The app is the market app, not the updated google play app. When I go into application settings, manage apps, tap on market, it doesn't give me an uninstall updates option, only force stop, clear data and clear cache.

Droid Kain

Reaction score
OP
S

steelersrock

Reaction score
I had to go to work yesterday and didn't get home til late last night so I haven't tried your link yet. As of now I still can't get it to work, someone who knows more about these phones could probably get it going in a matter of seconds:) We are going on vacation, guess I will keep trying if we get a wifi spot, was hoping he could load some apps before we left:angry: Thanks for all your help and suggestions! May be back on here when we return!