Unable to Connect USB in AP Fastboot

Jenny5

Reaction score
I want to install Steel Droid 5.0 Gingerbread.
I am following the instructions here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/st...-steel-droid-5-0-gingerbread-1-11-2013-a.html
I am trying to do a clean install.
I am on step #8, "Connect the phone, and when it says "Connected", hit "Start""
I connect the USB cable, but it does not indicate it is connected.
RSD Lite v5.6 does not see the phone.
In Device Manager, under Other Devices, I see "Fastboot CDMA_SOLANA S." There is no driver installed. Windows 7 is unable to find a driver.
The phone screen shows the following:
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.64

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

It does not change when I connect the USB cable.
Am I doing something incorrectly? Is this a known issue? How do I fix this so I may proceed?

Thanks!

OP
Jenny5

Jenny5

Reaction score
Oh, also... the USB cable i am using is a Motorola OEM cable. The other one I tested was a Blackberry OEM cable.
Do I need the Motorola drivers installed in Windows for RSD Lite to detect it?
Shouldn't the phone at least indicate it detects the connection?

Thanks,

doogald

Reaction score
I want to install Steel Droid 5.0 Gingerbread.
I am following the instructions here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/st...-steel-droid-5-0-gingerbread-1-11-2013-a.html
I am trying to do a clean install.
I am on step #8, "Connect the phone, and when it says "Connected", hit "Start""
I connect the USB cable, but it does not indicate it is connected.
RSD Lite v5.6 does not see the phone.
In Device Manager, under Other Devices, I see "Fastboot CDMA_SOLANA S." There is no driver installed. Windows 7 is unable to find a driver.
The phone screen shows the following:
0A.64

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

It does not change when I connect the USB cable.
Am I doing something incorrectly? Is this a known issue? How do I fix this so I may proceed?

Thanks!

Goodness, all of that is completely unnecessary unless you already rooted and installed another ROM. If you are starting from stock already, ignore steps 1-9!

For Step 10, if you have a Verizon Droid 3 with the latest 5.7.906 update (look in settings->about phone at "System version"), the Pete Souza root method that is mentioned will not work. You need to use Dan Rosenberg's Motofail instead.

Motofail is here: Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

Of course, in order to install Motofail, you will need to solve your driver problem. You'll need the latest Motorola drivers for Windows. You can find them here: Dev-Host - Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.9.0_64bit.msi - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Here is a video that shows how to root the Droid 3 using Motofail: [video=youtube;TTU9OQPWTNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTU9OQPWTNk[/video]

Also, for instructions on how to install Safestrap 3.05, and use it to create a ROM slot and install a ROM, see this video: [video=youtube;NDFegYyA_sI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFegYyA_sI[/video]

Just be aware that the person on that video has a Droid Bionic. He mentions something about making sure that you have the latest ICS build. You can ignore that part; everything else will be the same.

OP
Jenny5

Jenny5

Reaction score
I am not already running another ROM, but I thought it was necessary because I want a clean install with none of the garbage and problems it has now.

Thanks!

doogald

Reaction score
I am not already running another ROM, but I thought it was necessary because I want a clean install with none of the garbage and problems it has now.

If you really want that, you can just do a factory reset. Settings->privacy. However, that will erase everything on the phone. Make sure that your contacts are backed up somehow - to Google, if you made your contacts Google contacts, or export them.

Honestly, though, if you are going to use Safestrap to install Steel Droid, I would just leave the stock system alone, since you'll be installing all of your apps, etc., from scratch with Steel Droid.

OP
Jenny5

Jenny5

Reaction score
If you really want that, you can just do a factory reset. Settings->privacy.

I don't want to go back to stock. I want both a clean install and a third-party ROM. Thanks!

Although... I lost the phone last night. Somewhere between leaving work and leaving the gym... If I can't find it, then I guess this won't be happening. Gonnna borrow a co-workers iPhone until I find it or get a new one. I'm eligible for an upgrade w/Vz now. I still want a physical keyboard, and naturally I'm looking at the Droid 4. But it always happens that whatever I get, a new version comes out a few months later, and the Droid 4 has been out for a year...

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
if you are, still trying to flash Steel Droid 5.0
when you are using safe strap 3, custom roms and the stock rom do not effect each other

0A.64
means you have system version 906, you can not use any of the xml recovery images, they will brick your phone
you could use .906 1-click-sbf.exe + tools [10-8-2012]

you really don't have to flash recovery images, unless you messed something up when rooted
and that isn't very likely if you are flash roms with safestrap 3
if you want just wipe data, but that isn't really necessary, if you are just going to flash a rom