UK Judge Rules that HTC Has Not Infringed on Apple Patents

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
applevhtc.jpg

Apple was dealt a major defeat today in the UK when a Judge ruled that HTC was not infrining on four of their patents. The patents in question are related to touchscreen technologies, including slide to unlock functions, and picture management. Not only did Judge Christopher Floyd rule that HTC was not in violation of the patents, but three of Apple's patents were found invalid. The only patent not found invalid was one relating to Apple's picture management, but it was ruled that HTC had not infringed on it. It appears for now HTC has won, but the FTC is still investigating Apple's claims in the US. We'll keep you updated so check back.

Spurce: Talk Android

skennelly

Reaction score
I wonder how the Apple vs. Nexus case would have went this judge. I don't know many of the little details, but the fact that he found three patents to be invalid seems to suggest that he sees what Apple is trying to do. I hope he's the judge when Apple takes someone to court over the "wedge" patent.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the Apple vs. Nexus case would have went this judge. I don't know many of the little details, but the fact that he found three patents to be invalid seems to suggest that he sees what Apple is trying to do. I hope he's the judge when Apple takes someone to court over the "wedge" patent.
the big issue is with the US patent system and the US patent judges...unfortunately this article mainly applies to phones sold in the UK :icon_frown:

jseah

Reaction score
the big issue is with the US patent system and the US patent judges...unfortunately this article mainly applies to phones sold in the UK :icon_frown:

But can't the attorneys use the findings of the court in another jurisdiction as precedent in the cases here? Or are the patents awarded in the UK different enough from the patents awarded in the US where the cases cannot be related?

nikecar

Reaction score
jseah said:
But can't the attorneys use the findings of the court in another jurisdiction as precedent in the cases here? Or are the patents awarded in the UK different enough from the patents awarded in the US where the cases cannot be related?

You allow us judges to apply law based on laws in other countries and you open the legal system down a slippery slope. I'm sure HTC lawyers will use findings to attack any US based lawsuits.