TWRP Now Available for Moto Z (Not Force, just Z)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
610201613554AM_635_moto_z.jpeg
Team Win has done it again.

Arguably one of the most popular custom recovery methods available for android devices, TWRP has been released for the Moto Z.

For those unfamiliar with a custom recovery, they're a handy tool for flashing roms, creating backups of your device, and much more.

At this time, TWRP is only available for the regular Moto Z, not the Force. No word yet on whether support for the Z's larger brother is in the pipeline.

Hit the link below to visit Team Win Recovery Project and check it out.

Motorola Moto Z 2016

Personally, my days of custom recovery and flashing roms/themes seem to be a distant memory. How about you guys? Are there folks out there that have been waiting for this day? Or has stock Android finally reached a point for you that you're satisfied with your devices out of the box?

Let us know below!

Reactions: CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Recoveries do not require root. To flash a different recovery you just need the bootloader unlocked. Rooting is done to the Android OS

Edit: Just keep in mind, if you get an OTA in the future then you will need to have the stock recovery to install it.

Last edited:

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
My Bad, Thanks for the Clarification. Is unlocking the Bootloader for this Device as Easy as the Option in Developer Options or there is a Actual Procedure and tools?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Reactions: CJM

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
As long as Verizon loads phones up with bloatware in their roms that cannot be uninstalled there will be a need to install custom roms that have it removed.

The feds really ought to put a requirement out that forces carriers to let users uninstall software or a simple "one click" option on the phone to remove all bloatware and restore the phone to a "base virgin android" version

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
What is the difference with the Z Force and Z that it doesnt work on the Force? I thought they were basically the same HW except for the Camera and Bigger Battery.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
What is the difference with the Z Force and Z that it doesnt work on the Force? I thought they were basically the same HW except for the Camera and Bigger Battery.
That's a good question. I was thinking the same.

Sent from my Moto Z