Lenovo and Motorola Announce the Moto Z and Moto Z Force (with Droid Editions!)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-smartphones-june-2016.png

Ashton Kutcher helped reveal the new Moto Z and Moto Z Force smartphones with their amazing magnetic modular attachments. They also revealed that there will be specific Verizon Droid Editions of these devices! Just as the rumors revealed, the concept is called MotoMods, and it allows the phone to transform with new cameras, speakers, projectors and more.

MotoMods is also good for aesthetic changes and let's you swap out custom rear back covers on the fly. The Motorola Shattershield technology found in last year's Droid Turbo 2 will show up in the Moto Z Force version. Lenovo also touted the phones' improved battery life and fast charging. Overall, Lenovo's event really wowed us with innovative new ideas and an exciting glimpse into the company's future plans. We can't wait to check out the brand new Droids!

Here's a breakdown of specs for the two devices:

Moto Z -
  • Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor running at up to 2.2GHz
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 5.5-inches - quad HD resolution of 2560 by 1440 pixels (535 pixels per inch) - With Corning Gorilla Glass
  • Thin (5.19mm) and light, weighing just 4.6 ounces (136 grams)
  • 12 megapixel rear camera with an f/1.8 aperture lens, optical image stabilization and laser autofocus - color-corrected flash with dual LEDs and a 1.12um pixel size
  • 5 megapixel front camera
  • 32GB/64GB UFS, microSD Card support (up to 2 TB)
  • 2,600mAh Battery
  • Water repellant nano-coating
  • MotoMods Connector
  • Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
Moto Z Force -
  • Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor running at up to 2.2GHz
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 5.5-inches - quad HD resolution of 2560 by 1440 pixels (535 pixels per inch) - with Shattershield Tech
  • Thin and light, weighing just 4.6 ounces (136 grams)
  • 21 megapixel rear camera with an f/1.8 aperture lens, optical image stabilization and laser autofocus - color-corrected flash with dual LEDs and a 1.12um pixel size with with Deep Trench Isolation (DTI) - Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF)
  • 5 megapixel front camera
  • 32GB/64GB UFS, microSD Card support (up to 2 TB)
  • 3,500mAh Battery
  • Water repellant nano-coating
  • MotoMods Connector
  • Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
Moto Z will only be available in U.S. this summer as Moto Z Droid Edition and Moto Z Force Droid Edition only on Verizon; however, the unlocked non-Droid Moto Z and Moto Z Force will go on sale on the Motorola website in the Fall.

Exact dates and pricing have not been shared yet. We will keep you updated. In the mean-time be sure to check out any discussions on these awesome new devices in their respective threads we created for you.

Here are some links:

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I want the Z Force with that Audio pack snap on. Very nice!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I can't believe that Verizon gets them first as the 2016 Droid lineup; didn't see that coming. Less than 12 months after the Turbo 2 was released. Cool news for Droid fans.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because he works for Lenovo...?

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. LOL You're right. Unbelievable. I'd love to see his qualifications for being a Product Engineer. And no, "I used to look good modeling underwear" doesn't count................

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why the heck is Kelso there? Seriously, Ashton Kutcher?? Come on Lenovo.
Ashton Kutcher has actually become quite the entrepreneur and investor. He actually works for Lenovo as a manager of their design team. Just because he was an underwear model and bad actor, doesn't mean he isn't smart. Some folks just got an extra helping of "gifts" before they were born. God apparently has a sense of humor...

realged13

Reaction score
Just as I am starting to think about getting the Note 7, they release the Z Force edition which has a lot of the stuff I want.

Amagine

Reaction score
Ashton Kutcher has actually become quite the entrepreneur and investor. He actually works for Lenovo as a manager of their design team. Just because he was an underwear model and bad actor, doesn't mean he isn't smart. Some folks just got an extra helping of "gifts" before they were born. God apparently has a sense of humor...

Indeed. He's among a number of notable actors (some of which you would never think about) who are heavy movers in silcon valley. He has an investment firm called Sound Ventures (of all things) and I believe he was one of the first on board for Ooma. May need to check wiki for the last part. Only reason i remember the name of his venture cap firm is that he debuted the name at SXSW.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... from reports I have read, Ashton Kutcher is one of the few actors in Hollywood with a genius level IQ (like Natalie Portman). Kutcher is supposedly in the 160 range.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nice phones ....no headphone jacks on both phones though get ready for the new thing ...

6S PLUS
Here ya go bk....from the Moto Z website:

Moto Mods™ connector
USB-C port for headphones, charging and data transfer
3.5mm to USB-C headphone port adapter included

Looks like they are going to include the adapter so folks can use their current headphones.