Two "how to" questions--Regarding HandCent/native Text App...and Say Caller Apps

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
1-Handcent. Have used it with no problems since original Droid. With the Droid MAXX, If I disable native messenger app, any texts sent through Handcent fail. If I enable native app, but force close it, the native app will come back online with a restart, and seems like it will re-enable itself. Result is I get a native app alert and window and a Handcent alert and window, simultaneously. I either don't recall or there is no way to tell the phone that the default is Handcent. Does anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

2-Apps that "Say Caller/Text Sender's Name"--Have used Spoken in the past. No problems. Now, when a caller is calling, it will say the caller's name...good. When a text arrives, it is silent. I thought there was something in Handcent to configure, like not choosing an alert, but that was not correct. If anyone is using a similar "announcement app", let me know which one and what I may not be configuring correctly.

Thanks for any advice or info.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
As far as your first issue, I've always set Handcent as Default messaging app and turned off all notifications for stock messaging app. Never disabled, left it as is besides turning off notifications.

Worked most recently on my wifes RAZR.

Last edited:
OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thanks CTownDroid, help much appreciated.:biggrin:

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Spoken's website:

-HANDCENT >> Settings >> Application Settings >> Disable Default Messaging application

Now, it states who is sending you a text.