App to reply via text while on call?

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On my previous LG Dare there was a native app that would bring up a text box when I was on a call to allow me to enter a text message to the caller and send the text without interrupting my current call.

There is an app - PhonePlus Callback - that is designed to do this, but it has not worked for me on the Droid and based on the market feedback my issue is not uncommon.

Anyone else know of an application that does this? Anyone else use PhonePlus Callback on the Droid and get it to work? Looking everywhere for this function!

Caindris

Reaction score
Not possible on the Verizon network at this time. If you're on a call, that's all you're ever going to be able to do unless you have wifi turned on.

Even still, this wouldn't allow you to send SMS.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was able to do it via Verizon on my LG Dare, so is it an Android OS issue?

And I did notice today I can open up Handcent and send a text message while on a call, but I have to go through the process of opening Handcent, finding the contact and then typing/sending the message.

The preference is to have several text options appear as well as the option to enter my own message, but if it is an Android issue, not sure there is much that can be done.

bcolby20

Reaction score
I am able to send a text thru handcent every way imaginable whole on a call.

And I did notice today I can open up Handcent and send a text message while on a call, but I have to go through the process of opening Handcent, finding the contact and then typing/sending the message.

The preference is to have several text options appear as well as the option to enter my own message, but if it is an Android issue, not sure there is much that can be done.

Technoman

Reaction score
Not possible on the Verizon network at this time. If you're on a call, that's all you're ever going to be able to do unless you have wifi turned on.

Even still, this wouldn't allow you to send SMS.

Actually, this is not correct! You can send SMS, but not data while on a call. Native SMS does not require a data connection!
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can send texts while on a call too, which is not really the issue - doing it the the way you indicate requires like 4 - 5 additional steps. I would like Handcent (in this case) to pop up, recognizing that I am on a call and prompt me to send a text, rather than having to go to the home screen, select Handcent, select the person who just called, enter the text, hit send, go back to the current call. . . I guess I am just being lazy, but if a Dare could do it :icon_eek:

I am able to send a text thru handcent every way imaginable whole on a call.

V

verian

You can even run apps while on a call. They will refresh and everything. Just no web browsing everything else is fair game.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can send texts while on a call too, which is not really the issue - doing it the the way you indicate requires like 4 - 5 additional steps. I would like Handcent (in this case) to pop up, recognizing that I am on a call and prompt me to send a text, rather than having to go to the home screen, select Handcent, select the person who just called, enter the text, hit send, go back to the current call. . . I guess I am just being lazy, but if a Dare could do it :icon_eek:
It's an interesting feature. Not sure I personally see the point (why stop at assuming that I want to text someone I'm currently talking to?) but why not? The Droid could certainly do it. It's just a matter of whether or not there's an app that does this.

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting feature. Not sure I personally see the point (why stop at assuming that I want to text someone I'm currently talking to?) but why not? The Droid could certainly do it. It's just a matter of whether or not there's an app that does this.

Takeshi, I am realizing that my writing on this topic is abysmally unclear - the situation is I am talking to person X, but I receive a call from person Y (who I might need/want to talk to but don't want to end the current call), so I want to be able to multitask and quickly let them know via text that i will be calling them back shortly.

I was under the incorrect assumption that there was something OS related holding back the ability for the app to do this, but I am hoping a developer (maybe even the Handcent dev) will come up with something.

thenowherekid

Reaction score
If i need to text while on a call I usually hit the speakerphone then hit home key. then bring up the message. still works

Szuch123

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are talking about, as I also had the LG Dare.

This was probably its only redeeming feature.

You could store texts, so for instance I had, "I am on the other line, I will call you back soon."

On the Droid, which is superior technology, I can only ignore a call.

If I want to text, I have to turn the phone to speaker, ignore the second call, open Messages, create a new text, type the message and send it, all while responding verbally to caller number one. Pretty tedious.

gavinsnana

Reaction score
I also had the LG Dare before the Droid. ANd it is one of the features that I miss. Even if I wasn't on a call when I would hit the ignore button the text box woud come up and I too had a quick text to reply. I miss the feature but do not miss the phone! Love my Droid.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Not true.

If you are using data already before your call you can still continue using your data while incall. Otherwise my navigation would've dropped every time I was driving and received a call while driving.

However, if your phone isn't using data and your in the middle of a phone call, then yes you can't use data at all when in the middle of a phone call.

Droidforums.net appified!

OP
C

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am trying SMSReceptionist right now. . . it has been intermittently successful, but more often than not, when I am on a call and another call comes in, if I try to use the SMSReceptionist, it disconnects the active call - have heard that this is an Android OS "feature" (more ofa bug). The developers of SMSRecptionist are continuing to work on a solution, fingers crossed.