Droid texting appears garbled on recipient's BB

luvtype

Reaction score
Lately when I send a text message the text shows up as garbled (not readable) on my recipient's cell, a BB. This happens whether I use the native messaging app or Handcent. On a Motorola Droid 2.1.

This never used to happen before. Does anyone know what's going on here and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
that would be a problem with his blackberry......

just tell him to get used to it ..... problems and blackberry go together better then white on rice.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
No, no, if my messages don't come through, it's MY problem. People don't respond to garbled text and then I'm left hanging....

There must be a better answer. Texting used to work just fine until recently. What new changes have occurred on the Droid end that may be causing this? Some new encoding problem?

I must find a way to fix this. If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, no, if my messages don't come through, it's MY problem. People don't respond to garbled text and then I'm left hanging....

There must be a better answer. Texting used to work just fine until recently. What new changes have occurred on the Droid end that may be causing this? Some new encoding problem?

I must find a way to fix this. If anyone has a clue, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I understand your concern and your desire to take responsibility, but you'll have to do a bit more homework before you can diagnose the problem.

Do you have any other friends with BlackBerry's that experience the same problem? (I haven't noticed anyone else reporting the problem.) Has your friend had any changes on his/her end? Could the problem lie with the particular implementation of the RIM software your friend has, either on the phone or the server?

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
All good questions that I don't have answers to right now. I'll try to find out. In the meantime, if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem, please join the discussion.

Thanks.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
OK, folks, problem solved. It was the font size. Look like the BB chokes on the BIG setting. I put it back to Normal, and it works now.

The whole point of getting Handcent for me was to be able to increase the font size... to make up for the one huge thing the Droid lacks: system-wide font size control.

Oh well...

balkor2

Reaction score
Alot of my friends have been receiving the ?????? and there are different providers and phones from verizon voyager and touch plus a iPhone too (ATT).
Issues I found so far is the "symbols" in text I had used in my signature which caused them to freak out on their side

CASHPOINT

Reaction score
Lately when I send a text message the text shows up as garbled (not readable) on my recipient's cell, a BB. This happens whether I use the native messaging app or Handcent. On a Motorola Droid 2.1.

This never used to happen before. Does anyone know what's going on here and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Not sure what the fix is..... I have had the same situation only on 1 phone that I text to. An Envy touch. I rebooted my phone and it seemed to work . It happened on 2 different days. I will monitor this thread to see what may be causing this. Using a DX here.
Thanks

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Thanks!

Not sure what the fix is..... I have had the same situation only on 1 phone that I text to. An Envy touch. I rebooted my phone and it seemed to work . It happened on 2 different days. I will monitor this thread to see what may be causing this. Using a DX here.
Thanks
Helpful hint for later use....read all the posts in the thread before you reply...:)

The OP whose post you quoted and replied to, already fixed his issue, about 10 months ago...it was his chosen Font Size in HandCent SMS...

balkor2

Reaction score
Another phone I was texting to was receiving garbled junk (missing letters and whole words) on the verizon network. In signature field was using ascII in it. Once I removed the ASCII, recipient from there one received clear and understandable texts. Issue in my opinion is the receiving phone (handset) must have same fonts. If not they will/might receive junk Hope it helps those that might have issues

JeanY

Reaction score
JeanY

So if texting problem with Droid 3 to LG Touch is due to font differences, how do I fix font on Droid to be compatible with LG Touch???:icon_evil: