Droid 2 sends blank/garbled text (sms)

Elmerfudd

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Droid 2 phone which sometimes sends text messages that are either blank or random symbols/characters. Here is the fact pattern:

• Problem never occurred with my old LG phone.
  • Problem doesn’t occur all the time, just several times a day.
  • The texts can be read on the senders phone but not on the recipients phone.
  • The recipients of the bad texts are spread across different carriers – not just one.
  • The recipients of the bad texts are spread across a spectrum of phone types.
  • The chance of a bad text being received increases when the text message is a long one.
  • The chance of a bad text showing up as being “blank” increase if the recipients phone is older.
  • The chance of a bad text showing up as being “symbols” increases if the recipients phone is newer.
  • The Droid 2 phone in question was replaced with a second brand new Droid 2 and the problem continues to happen.
  • The Droid 2 phones have been checked out with Verizon Wireless Tech Support who says there is no problem (Ha!).
  • Verizon Wireless has stated that they know of no network issue or phone issue which could be causing this to happen.
  • Verizon Wireless Tech has stated there is no user setting in place which would cause this to happen.
  • Motorola tech support has stated they know of no issue with this phone which would cause this to happen.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I’m very close to junking this phone and going back to my old LG phone.

EF

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Droid 2 phone which sometimes sends text messages that are either blank or random symbols/characters. Here is the fact pattern:

• The recipients of the bad texts are spread across different carriers – not just one.
  • The chance of a bad text being received increases when the text message is a long one.
  • The chance of a bad text showing up as being “blank” increase if the recipients phone is older.
  • The chance of a bad text showing up as being “symbols” increases if the recipients phone is newer.
  • The Droid 2 phone in question was replaced with a second brand new Droid 2 and the problem continues to happen.
  • The Droid 2 phones have been checked out with Verizon Wireless Tech Support who says there is no problem (Ha!).
  • Verizon Wireless has stated that they know of no network issue or phone issue which could be causing this to happen.
  • Verizon Wireless Tech has stated there is no user setting in place which would cause this to happen.
  • Motorola tech support has stated they know of no issue with this phone which would cause this to happen.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I’m very close to junking this phone and going back to my old LG phone.

EF

Hmmm….too bad. Nope, can't say I've seen any issues when I text, although I don't do that much. Usually I use Google Voice for texting.

I honestly don't think anyone here can help you with this issue. I haven't seen a great deal of other people having issues texting. I do know that it's easy to make text errors so if you're a fast text person maybe that's the issue.

I always say Droid isn't for everybody. Maybe it's not for you.

purplezepplin

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem! It was not an issue at first, now every time I try to text my friend who has an LG Env, all she gets are blank text??? Some times my friend w/ a BB gets bizarre symbols w/in the text or parts of sentences are missing. Very frustrating! The text appear normal on my phone.

bleu_tropix

Reaction score
same problem here!

i'm having the same exact issue. why is this so? is my D2 defective? so irritating!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try using chomp and/ or handcent. Also try doing a full factory reset.

To do a full factory reset do the following

Reboot into recovery, you can do this several ways
- first way is install a teminal emulator and type reboot recovery (then hit the enter key)
- second way is to power off and power back on while holding the physical x key. Then hit the search button on your physical keyboard

After booting into recovery you want to wipe data, then wipe cache, then reboot.

Wiping data you will have to resign into your google account and reload your apps. If you have an auto task killer or anti virus app now would be a good time to remove it.

bleu_tropix

Reaction score
i'm already using handcent AND did a reboot a few weeks ago, albeit for a different reason. is there any way to avoid another?

djs06105

Reaction score
I'm also having this exact same problem. Anyone find a solution yet?

OP
E

Elmerfudd

Reaction score
Droid 2 garbled text - Resolved (somewhat)

As suggested on another forum, I've been using the handcent app to do texting. Been using it for the last several weeks and the garbled text problem hasn't presented itself any more.

I know this isn't a full resolution of the problem but it works for me.

Tyewilly

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with my DX. texts sent to other android phones were fine but all others were blank, partial, or garbled. I finally figured out that the symbols in my signature were causing the problem. Apparently some of the symbols available on the android keyboard aren't compatible with other phones.

mshinrockford

Reaction score
Solution at last!!

After many fruitless discussions with Verizon, my wife (whose Droid 2 has had the exact same problem as described above), discovered the SOLUTION to this texting problem. Don't ask me why or how, but here are the facts:

1. If your Droid is set to use the "autofill" function, and you send a text using the autofill function to another Droid, there is no problem.

2. If your Droid is set to use the "autofill" function, and you send a text using the autofill function to another non-Droid phone, there is no problem unless your text contains the word "Don't". If the text contains the word "don't" and autofill is ON, then your text will NOT be properly received by non-Droid phones. Some phones will receive the text and add "?" marks between each character, other phones will just receive abunch of random characters.

3. If you turn OFF the autofill function, and type the same text manually, you will not have any errors.

So, the solution is to either:

A. Turn off the autofill function, or
B. Never use the word "don't" in your texts.

I hope that this solves your problem as it has for my wife's Droid. This is obviously some sort of weird software glitch that Verizon is clueless about.

sonnyrock5

Reaction score
RE:

Hello,

EF

Hmmm….too bad. Nope, can't say I've seen any issues when I text, although I don't do that much. Usually I use Google Voice for texting.

I honestly don't think anyone here can help you with this issue. I haven't seen a great deal of other people having issues texting. I do know that it's easy to make text errors so if you're a fast text person maybe that's the issue.

I can't understand why this response was created for this question. 1) you admittedly don't text & 2) you finish with saying maybe the Droid isn't for you? Responses are meant supposed to be helpful, not simply an opportunity for one to spew worthless drivel on to a bulletin board

sonnyrock5

Reaction score
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Your counsel was EXACTLY what I have been looking for. I have been struggling with this issue for months, and I finally get "it" why my Droid has "sent" the random/unpredictable unreadable texts to my recipient. I text a ton, to all types of phones, on all carriers, and I could not find a pattern. Thank you very much for posting!!!!

decalex

Reaction score
Hello,

EF

wtfrofl!

10ch

XanRules

Reaction score
I am suddenly having the same problem (have been for about two weeks now) and have tried all of these fixes with no luck. One person ONLY gets blank/garbled texts, the rest of my friends only get them sometimes.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

msavant

Reaction score
Same Here

I joined this forum because I cannot find a fix for this. I have read through the forums for months trying to figure this out. It is NOT punctuation or auto fill or symbols; I have done a factory reset FOUR times; I have not installed Facebook or Yahoo anything this last time; I have used Handcent and other text apps; and my son who is also a Verizon customer receives blank texts from me. I had it working for one whole week after my last reset until this morning when the network was down a few hours. When it came back up - texts were shot - again. I am NOT resetting again especially since this time around I left off all the things I used just so I could text. :icon_evil: I'm pretty much ready to toss the thing in the trash and go back to a trusty dumb phone, but I am really hoping that somehow someone is going to save the day before I chuck R2D2 into the trash.

It has been this way since I bought the thing in March.