Another Handcent question

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Ok, I tried the search but after digging through a ton of post I still didn't find an answer. I am not a big handcent fan but I do like being able to send a text message to several people and scroll through my contacts and pick them without having to type each name or number. This is the third time I have tried this app. Unfortunately there isn't another app that will do this. My problem is that when I receive a message it would only show a number, not a name. I have so many contacts there is no way I can remember everyones number so how do you make handcent show the name of the caller and not just the number?

Also, this question has been beat to death but why does it still send the messages to both handcent and the default messenger. I turned of notifications on the default messenger as well as the auto-retrieve but I still get double messages. Can someone shed some light on this subject?

Thanks for everyones help. Again, I apologize for asking the same old question. It seems that if so many people are having this problem why don't they fix the issue so you have this.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was just checking thru Handcent for something to help out but I came up with nothing.(can't replicate the issue).
for me.... All texts are labeled with the contacts name
and you shouldn't be receiving messages thru the stock app since you disabled them.

Reaction score
When I tried Handcent I had messages in both, I had thought it was a shared database for SMS messages that both applications accessed. That's a total guess though.

I am pretty sure Handcent showed the names. I actually like the stock look of messages much better. The only thing I liked about Handcent was the speech to text ability, but I found I can type much faster anyway, so it was more of a "this is cool" ability than anything.

Note:

The stock application for SMS WILL contact more than one person. In case you didn't realize this, I looked at my phone and figured it out, so here ya go (not sure if this helps your needs or not):

1) Make a new "conversation" by going to the list of conversations and then select compose a message.

2) in the field that says to, start typing the name of the contact (I found a few letters was enough to see both the name and phone number of the contact) and then select it from the menu that pops up

3) you'll note there is a comma after the contact you just entered. If you start typing another contact, you'll have the same search of contacts performed and you can select another contact and the phone will put in another comma so you can keep adding contacts

Maybe that will help you, maybe not, but figured I would throw it out in case it does!

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Handcent

Are you having trouble forwarding texts to multiple people or creating a text to send to multiple people?

I don't have access to my phone at the moment as I'm at work in an area where cell phones are prohibited so I can't do the play-by-play to send an original text to multiple people.

However, I can help you with forwarding to multiple contacts. Select the text message you want to send by pressing it with your finger until a window opens up. One of the options is FORWARD. Select that and the blue plus sign will appear. Hit that and you can select however many people in your contact list to send the message to.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Text are sending and receiving fine in both Handcent and Default. I was just wandering why it is only showing numbers and not manes? Kinda weird to me. I looked and in default there is a name but handcent just a number. Oh well, any other ideas?

BC- Thank you. I did know that already but what I liked about handcent was the ability to scroll through contacts and check everyone I wanted to send it to.

SK- I'm a assuming that when you mentioned te blue X you are referring to handcent? I don't see that in the default messenger.

ejbaca03

Reaction score
You might want to uninstall Handcent and reinstall it. I had a problem like that with an older version and I think that is what fixed my issue.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
ej, I will try it. Why not. If it still doesn't work I can uninstall it.

viperboy

Reaction score
Does this happen with the regular messaging app? It could be that you don't have your phone set to show all your contacts...

Go to Contacts > Menu > Display Options. Tap on your GMail account and check all the boxes. Click Done and back out. All of your contacts should be there :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Off topic but about handcent.... can you lock a message so you can delete a thread but not one message like with the stck app?

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Im having the same problem as the TS, with the topic about recieving a message in handcent and also in the stock messaging app. Also, i only have like one or two people that when they text me or i text them that is shows there number and not their name. so not to bad, hopefully there will be ann update to this app in the near future that will fix all the bugs

Malithar

Reaction score
Registered to throw my two cents in.

I've had similar issues concerning the phone only showing numbers rather than contact's names with various SMS programs (Show SMS, Handcent, SMS Popup come to mind.)

I haven't really found a fix yet, but I've noticed that it seems to only happen with contacts that there number is synched from Facebook. If they've been added into the phone manually, or synched off of my gmail account, then their name and profile pic pops up without a hitch. I've gone over the contact synching and which contacts to show multiple times, reinstalls, different programs, etc, with no luck so far. Similar to a previous poster, I don't text many people, only about 5 or 6, so its not a huge issue thats setting me back.

Haven't bothered myself, but maybe manually adding in the contact's name/number/etc will fix it, since it just merges into the existing one. Good luck fixing it.

sariah8

Reaction score
The only thing I liked about Handcent was the speech to text ability, but I found I can type much faster anyway, so it was more of a "this is cool" ability than anything.

SMS Popup does the speech to text as well. I just d/led it and have been playing around with it for the past hour or so. I like it so far. But I'm also going to look at Handcent. Not sure which one I'll end up with as I've seen more problems with Handcent that I have people praising it.

Thoughts on the two vs each other?