Turning off use of data when not in WiFi

estilo

Reaction score
Is this possible? I understand there is always some sort of data transmitting (even just knowing the time), but I don't want waste the data that counts against the 150mb limit.

In Wireless & Network Setting, I've turned off "Mobile Network", "Data Roaming", and "Enable Mobile-to-Mobile data".

System Select (Whatever that means), is on "home only".

In Accounts & Sync Setting, I've turned off "Background data".

Will any of these work? Will they help overall to staying under the 150mb limit? Will it potentially cause any problems when I try to activate the phone?

Refresh interval for facebook is set to "never" as well.

Thanks, I really don't know much about Android but I am trying to learn.

twokatmew

Reaction score
Is this possible? I understand there is always some sort of data transmitting (even just knowing the time), but I don't want waste the data that counts against the 150mb limit.

In Wireless & Network Setting, I've turned off "Mobile Network", "Data Roaming", and "Enable Mobile-to-Mobile data".

System Select (Whatever that means), is on "home only".

In Accounts & Sync Setting, I've turned off "Background data".

Will any of these work? Will they help overall to staying under the 150mb limit? Will it potentially cause any problems when I try to activate the phone?

Refresh interval for facebook is set to "never" as well.

Thanks, I really don't know much about Android but I am trying to learn.

In "Mobile Network" settings, turning off "Data Roaming" means that when you're outside the Verizon network (and thus roaming), no data will transmit. I would assume that you'd incur roaming charges for any data transmitted, so I turn this off.

Turning off "Mobile-to-Mobile Data" turns off all data transmitted over Verizon's network (3G). This is what you want if you really want to turn all data off. But ... I have Visual Voicemail and discovered that when this option is off, my voicemail doesn't get checked automatically. SMS doesn't work either.

Connecting to a WiFi network automatically turns 3G off, and depending on your WiFi sleep settings, no activity via WiFi turns WiFi off and 3G on after 15 mins. When you reconnect to WiFi, 3G goes off automatically.

If you put the Power Control widget on one of your home screens, you can toggle syncing and WiFi very easily.

But as long as you don't do a lot of surfing via 3G, you can probably just enable WiFi, leave syncing on and stay within your data limits. Put the data usage widget on your desktop, but you can only check data usage via 3G. (I don't believe this counts against your data usage limit.)

System Select involves cellular service, so leave it alone.

I have all my apps set to sync automatically, but then I turn syncing off via the Power Control widget. That way I don't have to sync each app manually.

HTH.