Turn on WiFi using Google Now.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I've read a few articles that said that you can turn on WiFi and Bluetooth using Google Now voice commands starting with LP 5.0. I tried it with my Moto X (LP 5.1) and it doesn't work. It says it's having data issues. With 4g on it'll do it. It's not a big deal but that feature would be nice to have. And yes I did a FDR after the update to 5.1.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've read a few articles that said that you can turn on WiFi and Bluetooth using Google Now voice commands starting with LP 5.0. I tried it with my Moto X (LP 5.1) and it doesn't work. It says it's having data issues. With 4g on it'll do it. It's not a big deal but that feature would be nice to have. And yes I did a FDR after the update to 5.1.
So what you're saying is that it won't turn Wi-Fi on unless you have mobile data 4G turned on as well? That makes sense, because Google Now uses the Google servers remotely to do the voice translation.

On the other hand, you can use Google Now in KitKat to request the same functions but what happens is it brings up the screen to allow you to make the change manually. Only on the new lollipop does it actually execute the change for you.

I did however find a nice utility that adds tremendous additional functionality to the Google Now feature, including on/off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It's called Commandr and it's available on the Play Store. What's amazing is it doesn't require root. See the link below. I'm on KitKat, & I just installed that app, and it was successful in turning on and off Wi-Fi with no touching of the phone whatsoever. Of course just like the regular Google Now, it also requires that you have mobile data turned on, in order for the Google servers to do the voice translation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.Commandr

Last edited:
OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Thanks for the clarification. I'll check that app out too.