Turbo charger has three voltages and amperages.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It''s interesting that this charger can have a different wattage output with the different amperage & voltage ratings. I wonder what that does for the power draw itself the charger will command from an extension cord, wall outlet, or power strip. Mind you at the very most a wall outlet can support 15A at 125V. My question behind all of this how safe is turbo-charging usage over-and-over-again over time, due to excessive heat emission & trying to encase all that raw energy within a small plastic confined cube?
I understand your concern regarding the power that this charger draws from the wall and also puts out on the other side to the phone. One thing you can be sure, the manufacturer has made sure that the charger will not overheat and create the risk of fire.

Amps times Volts equals Watts. That's the law of current. So if you take the Volts of 5. and multiply it by the Amps of 1.6, you come back to the number of Watts it is putting out on the output side of 8. In turn, the number of Watts it's pulling from the wall would be approximately the same amount, but slightly more due to heat that's generated in the process of converting from alternating current to direct current, regulating and filtering that voltage, stepping down the voltage from 110 Volts to 5 Volts, and limiting the current.

In this case, to allow for the waste heat generated, that charger would probably be pulling somewhere on the order of 10 to 15 Watts maximum from the 110 Volt AC outlet. That is only twice the amount of current than a small night light light bulb draws from your electric outlet.

Even at the highest Voltage/Amperage combinations of 12 Volts - 1.2 Amps, and 9 Volts - 1.6 Amps, it is only putting out 14.4 watts, and so would be drawing maybe 18-20 watts at 110 Volts AC. The unit is rated at from 100 to 250 Volts, and a maximum of .5 Amps, so one half Amp versus the maximum of a standard outlet of 15 Amps, means it's pulling a maximum of 1/30th of the total power it's designed for. In Watts, that's a maximum of 50 Watts at 100 Volts, and 125 Watts at 250 Volts. I'm going to guess that .5 Amp maximum is at the 100 Volt figure, and that at 250 Volts it will only draw 20 Watts.

Rated maximums are often more than twice what they will really draw, so if it's rated at .5 Amps, I wouldn't be surprised if under normal circumstances it didn't actually draw more than 20 to 25 Watts or about .25 Amps at 100 Volts.

Last edited:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I love it when when what I've been preaching for the past 4 years is actually vindicated by the manufacturer itself. Thank you so much for posting that because I've been trying to get people on to that bandwagon for a long time.
Never a "doubt one" my Friend... been a Fox-informed Battery devotee for quite awhile.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's quite possible that the Samsung charger just does not put out enough current to keep up with the current draw of the phone while in rest mode and at the same time either activate the charging circuit or have enough excess current to be pushing the battery values up.

Take note, at the 5.0 volt level, the turbocharger actually puts out 1.6 amps. That's way more than almost all previous charges that I have seen come out for cell phones. Apparently the circuitry in the phone that dictates how much power the battery gets must be looking for higher current levels initially in order to properly moderate the charging rate for the battery even during the slow charging and trickle charging periods.
Ooo. That's good to know. Hope they get the spare batteries in Stock again before my discount window closes.

Sent from my Note 4

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
It's 10' long! It's great because I can really stretch out.
I have a longer generic cord, but it doesn't charge as fast if I use it. My tablet wouldn't charge at all when I tried using it. Is yours a Moto cord?

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have a longer generic cord, but it doesn't charge as fast if I use it. My tablet wouldn't charge at all when I tried using it. Is yours a Moto cord?
Yes @AvaMichele, I try to use the Motorola stock cords whenever possible. I know they're shorter than one might prefer but I've found that if you use a generic USB extension cord in combination with the stock Motorola cord the charging works as expected. On the other hand, using non-Motorola cords is hit or miss in that some work normally, some only weakly and some not at all.