Trying to Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by amishdude01, Mar 2, 2012.

1. amishdude01

amishdude01 New Member

Hey guys and girls. Im almost 22 years old and I have been smoking since i was 17. I wasnt a heavy smoker, but i would smoke 3-5 a day and a pack on the weekends. Last week I finally had enough. I threw away my pack and havent touched a cig since last friday. So almost a week now. The past 2 days have been pretty rough. How long does it take for me to feel the need to not have a cig anymore? I dont want to buy any patches or anything as well. If anyoine could give me a few tips on what to do instead of smoke, Id really appreciate it. Thanks a ton!
    1 person likes this.
  2. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

:applause:

Its a hard habit to kick. I know my grandfather started chewing gum a lot to help with the itch. I've heard it takes several weeks to a little over a month to not have as bad of withdrawl effects.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  3. Nemo Aeternamn

Nemo Aeternamn Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Sounds like you got a good start... My best advise to help kick it... Keep your hands busy...

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
    "I don't even have a little dog todo"
  4. ramacker

ramacker New Member

I quit in Nov after 30 yrs of that nasty habit. About a month I had bad cravings to have a smoke. I think you'll always get the cravings but they get alot easier as time passes. I cheated and used the nicotine lozenges made it easier for me. Good luck to ya

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
  5. amishdude01

amishdude01 New Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Ill try the gun thing out too, thats a great idea!
  6. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i quit smoking 2 years ago from 2 packs a day to nothing.. it really hard for the first month.. the feeling of wanting a cig is still there. especially when i am hanging out with friends that do. good luck and just stick with it.
  7. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

oh things that help- sunflower seeds , suckers . that about it . gum never worked for me
  8. amishdude01

amishdude01 New Member

Ya thats what im affraid of too.. 1. Drinking, and 2. ALL my friends smoke. Its gonna be hard. Thanks for the advice Justin. Ill try out those tips for sure.
  9. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

The physical addiction is only three days. After that, it's all mental. I've tried quitting smokeless tobacco, but I really don't want to quit. It doesn't matter how many people think you should quit, if you don't want to, it's impossible.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
  10. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Not even close, physical addiction can last several weeks, and more importantly you're addicted for life. That's why it's so had to quit.
    A good friend of mine and I were sitting in a bar and someone passed a cig in front of us and he picked it up and started to light it.
    WTF, do you smoke? He actually started in his chair and realized what he was doing. He had quit 10 years ago, and the response was still there.
  11. Slusser

Slusser New Member

Yeah in process of trying to quitting myself the closest I gotten to beating it was when I spent the weekend in prison. The physical withdraws were over by third day, only I was to weak to keep it up after I got out. My problem is I actually used it as a crutch after quitting drinking reason why the weekend in jail. Haven't gone back to drinking though I was a magnificent alcoholic since my teen years just as I been a magnificent smoker since the age of twelve. Trying now to cut down the amount of cigs a day by chewing the gum. That's only because they recommend the strongest patch if you smoke like a pack and a half a day but I've been a 3-4 pack a day smoker for years. Good luck to all who are trying to quit as well.
  12. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

My mother in law chewed on pvc pipe to help the cravings... now she's addicted to diet coke - or at least the act of drinking out of a straw. :blink:
  13. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

Hang in there. Each day you make it is one day closer to freedom from a bad habit.

Sidebar: Jail is where you go for the weekend. Prison is where you go for 25 years to life...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  14. Slusser

Slusser New Member

Yep sorry for mistake in terminology.:biggrin:
  15. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I'm using my doctor as my source. I would look for another, but both my mother, whose been a nurse for 20+ years, and my doctor, both agree that the physical dependency is only 72 hours. If you have another source, I'd like to read it.
  16. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

17. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 New Member

nicotine is out of your system in about 5 days, it's just cravings and habits after that, good luck man, I applaud your efforts

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  18. lastname_firstname

lastname_firstname New Member

I'm 23, started @ 13, was up 2 a pack a day by 15 and stayed pretty constant between 1 or 2 packs a day until May last year, when I spent a week in bed kicking vyvanse (adderall on meth) and in turn was so withdrawn I didn't drink or smoke cigs either...couldn't even get up to hit the buds, but point in case-cold turkey works best initially. I was sober from everything like a month and then started smoking buds and drinking again. The urge is the worst when I drink and whiskey and jager make me go outside and bum them off people but hey, one every weekend is all I need now to remind me how much I hate them, I smoke about half and I'm done, even when I'm drunk. Smoking buds is def. A substitute for me though, so you gotta find what workks best for you.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  19. Insidious

Insidious New Member

In my life I've smoked 2 cigarettes. Both I enjoyed, but I realized that I didn't want to become a smoker, and with a lot of willpower turned down smoking. Good luck to all of you trying to quit, my dad quit about 20 some years ago and says its the best thing he's ever done.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  20. alucard9114

alucard9114 New Member

I used 5gum blue its in a pack like cigarettes and use the red pack if you smoked malbro blue for menthol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk