Some Bionic Love...

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I have also thought long and hard about this whole thing. With the drawbacks of the RAZR I mentioned above, I think one concern we should still have is penetration of the Bionic in the marketplace with the RAZR being marketed as the hot, sexy phone.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Bionic go Buy One Get One Free (BOGO) from Verizon at $299. While this may make the people who bought it on day 1 for $299 upset, I think it should make them happy because it will ensure new users continue to flock to our device. If you were a new user, would you buy the Bionic for $150 or the RAZR for $300? This should ensure the Bionic continues to grow in usage, which we all know is very important for the viability of the phone going forward. To me, this would solve the biggest concern I have.

Man, you're smart. I didn't even think about it that way. I'll admit, though, I was real salty when I saw it being sold on Amazon for a single penny. I mean, I had I known that was gonna happen so fast, I'd be $299.98 richer. But as long as the Bionic stays in the forefront, as long as it continues to get updated for the next two years, I'll be happy. And they already confirmed it is getting ICS, so I'm real happy about that.

haupman

Reaction score
Should have picked this up when I first heard of it. Is VZW or anyone else still offering this?

Yes, on their website. The price drop shows when you go to the cart and checkout. I bought the extended battery but considered it too big. I found it easier and lighter to carry a second standard battery in my wallet and pop that in when I need more juice for a long day.

haupman

Reaction score
Man, you're smart. I didn't even think about it that way. I'll admit, though, I was real salty when I saw it being sold on Amazon for a single penny. I mean, I had I known that was gonna happen so fast, I'd be $299.98 richer. But as long as the Bionic stays in the forefront, as long as it continues to get updated for the next two years, I'll be happy. And they already confirmed it is getting ICS, so I'm real happy about that.

The Amazon deal for a penny was for brand new users only. This is common with every VZW phone one month after release. But the upgrade cost remained around $250 which is also typical.

Since I am on a roll with you, let me throw out this idea. What if VZW offers the BOGO and the extended battery for free? This would provide a solid point of marketing differentiation. The Bionic can be marketed as a lower cost, high end alternative BUT for the real power users who can't afford to charge their phone 2 or 3 times a day. It takes a long time to charge these phones. The RAZR could be marketed for people interested in a high end, stylish phone who are unconcerned about battery life (there are a lot of Android users who dismiss the importance of good battery life). This would also ensure the continued existence of our race!

I don't know if VZW will go this way, but I sure hope they do. Based on past history (The Droid X was BOGO in time for the Holidays last year, just a few months after release), I think they will go this way.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, on their website. The price drop shows when you go to the cart and checkout. I bought the extended battery but considered it too big. I found it easier and lighter to carry a second standard battery in my wallet and pop that in when I need more juice for a long day.

No problems with the size of the extended battery for me. The back cover that is made to fit over the battery reminds me that I have my phone in my pocket correctly, just in case I accidently put it in with the screen side out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score

I checked - not offered any longer. Bummer.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
The Amazon deal for a penny was for brand new users only. This is common with every VZW phone one month after release. But the upgrade cost remained around $250 which is also typical.

Since I am on a roll with you, let me throw out this idea. What if VZW offers the BOGO and the extended battery for free? This would provide a solid point of marketing differentiation. The Bionic can be marketed as a lower cost, high end alternative BUT for the real power users who can't afford to charge their phone 2 or 3 times a day. It takes a long time to charge these phones. The RAZR could be marketed for people interested in a high end, stylish phone who are unconcerned about battery life (there are a lot of Android users who dismiss the importance of good battery life). This would also ensure the continued existence of our race!

I don't know if VZW will go this way, but I sure hope they do. Based on past history (The Droid X was BOGO in time for the Holidays last year, just a few months after release), I think they will go this way.

I was a new customer when I got it for the whole $299. Meh. Hindsight, 20/20, and all that... Money still well spent, IMO. That actually sounds like a really good idea for VZW.... You should probably head up their marketing office. It would be a win all around. I'm still gonna be a little salty, though... BOGO WITH a free extended battery just a few months after I chopped off my arm and half my leg for just a single phone?? I'm gonna be jealous of all the people late to the Bionic party.....

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I paid the full monty of $299 for my Bionic and there was no way for me to order anywhere other than direct from VZW due to the fact I was given an upgrade exception because of a nightmare with CLNR DX's. Am I jealous of those who bought the phone from Costco with the accessory package or the peeps who bought from RS or LetsTalk for well under $200? Sure. But I didnt have a choice at the time and since I wanted the Bionic I bit the bullet and havent looked back since.

Money well spent as far as I am concerned.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
I just checked.
Make sure you log into your acct first, then add the extended battery w/cover to your cart and then view your cart. You should see it for $24.99

Damn. I was logged into my account. It gave me an immediate 25% discount, and I took it all the way through to "Submit" and it was still not at $25. Must be doing something wrong!!

I'll check again. Are you going to the "Shop", "All Accessories", entering Bionic as the filter and then choosing the battery/cover from the display of accessories? That's how I did it.

Edit: also tried going to my phone and asking on that page to see accessories. No dice that way either.

haupman

Reaction score
Damn. I was logged into my account. It gave me an immediate 25% discount, and I took it all the way through to "Submit" and it was still not at $25. Must be doing something wrong!!

I'll check again. Are you going to the "Shop", "All Accessories", entering Bionic as the filter and then choosing the battery/cover from the display of accessories? That's how I did it.

Actually, you shouldn't be logged into your account when you add it to the cart. When you add it to the cart, it will show the reduced price in the shopping cart. Then log in to your account.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Actually, you shouldn't be logged into your account when you add it to the cart. When you add it to the cart, it will show the reduced price in the shopping cart. Then log in to your account.

Thanks Haup. I'll try that.

mikeyd08

Reaction score
I got my Bionic from Radio Shack for $100 off. I still have a week or so to return it, but I don't think I will. My one complaint is the connection issue, and there's supposed to be an update for that. I'm getting prety good battery usage, and for days when I need heavier than normal usage, I have an external battery back I found at Best Buy clearance for $14.
Don't want to take it out of the case to change batteries, cause I've got it in an otterbox case. It's big and bulky, but so am I.
In fact, I have a problem with some of these super thin phones, I feel like I'm using an eggshell!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
May as well post this here instead of starting a new thread, but does anyone know how to remove an app from the car dock mode? The pre-set ones?

Thanks!