Tried downloading .apk on Internet application, file gets renamed

bdc5z

Reaction score
Hi, I tried to download a .apk file over the default internet application on my Droid Incredible. The file seems to download but it gets renamed to: .txt

I can not run the apk file because of the rename and changing of the extension.

Is this supposed to happen?

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Hi, I tried to download a .apk file over the default internet application on my Droid Incredible. The file seems to download but it gets renamed to: .txt

I can finally help a little. :p

I just use androzip or astro and rename the .txt to .apk and if the app doesn't work after that, then the apk got corrupted some how... maybe try redownloading? If that doesn't work I'd suggest looking else where.

Last edited:
OP
B

bdc5z

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the advice! That works. But I'm still bothered by why the my phone changes the name of the file. I downloaded it again and the same thing happens. Also, it seems to change the name of other files I download.

Is this normal? Why does the internet browser do this? I don't get why the phone can't just download it and leave it alone.

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
I have no idea why, but it's normal. Sometimes it's .apk without change.

Sent from my DROIDX 2.2 rooted using Tapatalk

OP
B

bdc5z

Reaction score
Hmm I just realized it's not just for apk files. Other stuff get renamed too. Perhaps files get renamed to match a program the phone can open with...

bnichs5

Reaction score
i have the same problem

My phone also changes the file extensions.. not sure why. When I try to download apks it changees it to txt but with mp3s it works.. I need an answer on how to fix this.. thanks

beckuh

Reaction score

I can finally help a little. :p

I just use androzip or astro and rename the .txt to .apk and if the app doesn't work after that, then the apk got corrupted some how... maybe try redownloading? If that doesn't work I'd suggest looking else where.

Or you can simply find the file (under the Files folder) & hold it down, select name change and change the txt to apk. With rooting the apk file almost always gets downloaded to text by default. It happens sometimes... =]]