Tricorder For Android...JUst Awesome!

Zippster

Reaction score
Cool, I got it too. Not sure what I will do with it, but it will surely impress some of my really smart friends.

-Mike

Its just generally a fun app to tinker with, my youngest loves the sun info. I like to use the wifi scanner to check out whats around, still amazing how many people have their networks wide open.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
I have had this app since the day I got my droid (it was the first app I actually downloaded), so here is a brief breakdown of the Tricorder app and what it does.

First thing you need to know is that it is skinned to match TNG, with audio to match. If you are looking for a Bones or Spock moment, sorry. Now, the settings, in order they appear on the screen:

Grav: This is the acceleration monitor. If you move your droid around, it will register the amount of force you are using and the direction you are going. I haven't tested this in a car yet, but it might be interesting.

Mag: This is a 'magnetic flux' reading. Whether it is standard magnetic fluctuations or emf it is detecting, you will get readings near anything electronic. It shows both vector and magnitude, so you can see spikes as they occur. Right now, with it sitting on my laptop, it is reading an 80-81 magnitude. The exact same spot with my emf gauge bounces between 1.7 and 2.2 gauss.

Aco: This is the acoustic reading. Basically, what it does is register your background noise at any given moment. It shows waveform, spectrum and power (in dB).

Geo: Geographic; this is basically a compass/gps system. It shows both your compass (which is easily confused if you are indoors), gps, and 'cellular' settings, though cellular and gps are pretty much the same.

Ems: This shows your cell connection (carrier and what I assume to be conversations or carrier line transmissions like market downloads, txts, and the like) as well as all wifi signals in the area. It indicates wifi strength and which you are connected to, and which require passwords.

Sol: This is the solar activity monitor mentioned earlier. It shows proton and electron levels for roughly the last 2 months, though it is typically a few days behind (it says Dec 21, but it is Dec 28 as I type this). Tapping the sun flips you through what appear to be a number of filters, ranging from uv 304 thru uv 171, visible light, magnetogram, and a couple corona settings. It also shows solar flares, sun spots and rf fluctuations.

I hope this helps.

1quickv6

Reaction score
I really wish I could make a donation to the developer, but can't find any way to do so. Even the Developers site makes no mention of it. I really love the app and I'm looking forward to new updates to show ways that the Droid was never intended to be used. :D

droidkm

Reaction score
ok, so more about the decibel. it says in the help that 0db is the maximum input the droid's microphone can tolerate, and thus the db's are negative and relative to that reference. any idea what the maximum db the microphone can tolerate is, rated on the usual scale?

Big Ry

Reaction score
I hate to be ignorant here, but how does one actually use the decibel meter? I notice it seems to hover around ~ -40 and appears to go all the way up to 0.....so how does this equate into a number like 80db or 150db?

I just put in a set of train horns in my car, and I figure it would be fun to test them ;)

YouTube - ChooChoo - RX8
WHERE DID YOU GET THAT HORN!?!?!? that is f***in awesome!!! :D

solar

Reaction score
This was one of the first apps I downloaded too! Is it just me, or is the "scanning" sound not correct? Its just doesn't sound like it does in the TNG episodes to me...

SGTiger

Reaction score
This was one of the first apps I downloaded too! Is it just me, or is the "scanning" sound not correct? Its just doesn't sound like it does in the TNG episodes to me...

TNG? I thought they were going for the sound of the tricorder in the original TV series in the late 1960s?

solar

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure which they were going for. But that would make more sense since it doesn't sound like th TNG. But the layout looks like TNG, doesn't it? It would be weird to have it look like one and sound like the other.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure which they were going for. But that would make more sense since it doesn't sound like th TNG. But the layout looks like TNG, doesn't it? It would be weird to have it look like one and sound like the other.

You may be right. I don't know what either one looks like.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
It definitely has the TNG look. Perhaps it's supposed to be a 'bridge' period between TOS and TNG? Or, perhaps we're just over-thinking it and they simply can't make a completely accurate reproduction for legal reasons.

streetkid

Reaction score
I hate to be ignorant here, but how does one actually use the decibel meter? I notice it seems to hover around ~ -40 and appears to go all the way up to 0.....so how does this equate into a number like 80db or 150db?

I just put in a set of train horns in my car, and I figure it would be fun to test them ;)

YouTube - ChooChoo - RX8
WHERE DID YOU GET THAT HORN!?!?!? that is f***in awesome!!! :D

I agree, that is awesome. My brother drives a 1990 Nissan Sentra, we've wanted to put a horn like this on it for the longest time. Also would like to do it to my 1976 Dodge Establishment Motorhome!

cb2000a

Reaction score

YouTube - ChooChoo - RX8

Your neighbors will love you....:icon_ banana:

solar

Reaction score
It definitely has the TNG look. Perhaps it's supposed to be a 'bridge' period between TOS and TNG? Or, perhaps we're just over-thinking it and they simply can't make a completely accurate reproduction for legal reasons.

lol, perhaps you're right. I just had to bring it up because it was bothering me!;)

Coosa Droid

Reaction score
Anybody had a problem with the GEO screen, mine now says Cellular disabled. Can't get a reading indoors without the cellular tab working.