Traveling to Rome and have questions.....

ZBacks

Reaction score
The wife and I are leaving for Rome in a couple weeks and I am wondering what my best option for using our phones while there. I have a Droid RZR MAXX and she has a S5. Verizon doesn't have a "plan" for Italy so I'm wondering what my best option will be to be able to access data and call home to the kids? Thanks!

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Buy a moto g or any cheap gsm phone and pick up a pay as you go Sim card at the Tim or Wind store. I was in Rome just over a year ago and 5GB of data and 500 minutes and a few hundred texts was CHEAP. I tethered devices and used Skype the whole time no problem.

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
Are those stores there in Rome or here in the US?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
They're eurpoean carriers. I found coverage was OK but not great for both carriers over there. In Rome they had stores in quite a few locations.

beeray

Reaction score
The wife and I are leaving for Rome in a couple weeks and I am wondering what my best option for using our phones while there. I have a Droid RZR MAXX and she has a S5. Verizon doesn't have a "plan" for Italy so I'm wondering what my best option will be to be able to access data and call home to the kids? Thanks!
I used my Vz in Italy

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
Buy a moto g or any cheap gsm phone and pick up a pay as you go Sim card at the Tim or Wind store. I was in Rome just over a year ago and 5GB of data and 500 minutes and a few hundred texts was CHEAP. I tethered devices and used Skype the whole time no problem.
I have a old S3 from AT&T will that work as is or will it have to be unlocked? And if it has to be unlocked is that fairly easy to do? Thanks again.

beeray

Reaction score
It was plenty because there is free WiFi all over

P

promo87

Well, you are travelling to Rome I don't think there is any need to get a new sim card and a data plan you can find a number of public wifi, I am sure you can use Skype over the wireless network to call your kids at home. And yes one more thing while you are in the transit i.e inside the airport in rome for checking things out ask the staff for "I don't remeber what its called but if you ask for sim card they will give you a temporary sim which can be used for sometime...." Try asking them i am sure they will provide such service.

beeray

Reaction score
Believe it or not, there is Starbucks and McDonalds with great free wifi.

P

promo87

Believe it or not, there is Starbucks and McDonalds with great free wifi.
But I don't think McDonalds provide the bulk usage of Wifi for free, It only provides 25-50mb of data usage in a day. :D

beeray

Reaction score
That could be. But, I toured Italy and wasn't on my phone a lot. All te hotels I was in also had free wifi.