International Travel Question

jutang

Reaction score
I am traveling to Australia and my family has a couple droid 1's. I have searched the forum, but haven't found any specific answers to my questions.

If my hotel in Australia provides wifi coverage, can I connect my phone to their network without incurring fees from verizon? I am assuming I will have to root my phone in order to do this, plus install certain programs/applications.

If I can connect to the wifi internet connections, could I use google voice to make phone calls while I am Australia?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but the wifi works on a stock phone so you should no need to root to access wifi in Australia.

When you access wifi in the USA the fees, if any, are due to the provider if the router. If you hotel offers free wifi I think you should be OK.

You may want to call VZW and ask them.

Mike

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but the wifi works on a stock phone so you should no need to root to access wifi in Australia.

When you access wifi in the USA the fees, if any, are due to the provider if the router. If you hotel offers free wifi I think you should be OK.

You may want to call VZW and ask them.

Mike
Yes but you might want to turn off roaming though... Just in case. (im not sure if your 3g would even work in Au but im saying that becuase i truly have no idea.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I was not thinking that 3G (data) was impacted by roaming.

Mike

OP
J

jutang

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

I called Verizon and they said even though I'm connected to a wifi network I still would incur international charges for data transfer. When I asked why that would happen since no data is being transmitted through verizon's wireless network, he really didn't elaborate. Not too sure if he was just trying to make a sale for international packages, but I am a little leery now of turning on my phone overseas.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of connecting to a wifi network outside of the US?

EbE404

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

I called Verizon and they said even though I'm connected to a wifi network I still would incur international charges for data transfer. When I asked why that would happen since no data is being transmitted through verizon's wireless network, he really didn't elaborate. Not too sure if he was just trying to make a sale for international packages, but I am a little leery now of turning on my phone overseas.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of connecting to a wifi network outside of the US?

I've used WiFi in Europe on several occasions and never had any unusual charges.

I don't use Google Voice, so I can't address that question, but it would be a good idea to shut off the cell radio to keep it from searching and killing the battery, as well as protecting against roaming (although I don't believe Australia has CDMA towers). Just put in into Airplane Mode, then turn WiFi back on directly.

robinen

Reaction score
I use Droid application Tubaloo to make calls over internet while in australia! same: put into airplane mode, then turn on wifi

loslofutura

Reaction score
GPS for US phone in Australia

I have a Droid2 and it sounds like Wifi will work for email and internet, but will the GPS for location/tracks/search?
Thank you for your help!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your GPS receiver will work as long as it has line of sight to the GPS satellites. However, your GPS app (they're entirely separate things) may require data.