europe from U.S with droid

tennvol

Reaction score
Ill check the speeds tomorrow when I get there.

You're right, GO will not forward to a UK number. I have to have GO forward to localphone.com then forward to my uk sim

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Localphone.com is really cheap compared to Skype and some other services. How is the call quality? Do they charge for forwarding calls?

They charge whatever the rate to the country you are calling. No extra fees for forwarding. My only issue is sometimes the ring is short and will only ring twice before kicking to Voicemail. But in my chase that's cheaper for me since its 17cents to receive a call and 5p to make the call, so 5p is cheaper. Call quality is fine and people are surprised when I tell them im overseas.

My flight was canceled so ill check the speed when I get to the UK on Monday.

xan

Reaction score
FWIW; VRZ told 3 of my friends that their phones would work in EU. -They did not work at all!

id would even be skeptical of their loaners.

I would get a prepaid when you get there.

Didn't your friends do their research on their own? Did they have global phones? Were they using another carriers sim and if so was the phone unlocked?

Lots of variables here that would cause the phone to not work.

I've never had any problem using a vzw world phone loaner. Pretty easy process, call them up and the overnight you the phone, you activate the phone, and then mail it back to them when you are done. Not sure why you are weary of them, have you ever even tried to use the loaner program?

they called VRZ and asked "will my phone work in Europe?"
VRZ said "absolutely"
when they got to Europe no signal.
i guess my point/suggestion was not to trust what VRZ says, and instead to get what actually works once you get there.

atlrus

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I would do the following:

Pick up a cheap used Nokia or another GSM phone from here. When I arrive in the EU I would pick up a prepaid sim card - you can get those almost anywhere. All you have to do is put the sim card in the phone and activate.
If you need to, you can get some datq so people can use Skype to contact you, but this would require to get a much more expensive phone. Most hotels will have free wifi, so just bring a laptop along.

I would NEVER use Verizon's international plans, they are outrageously expensive!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

tennvol

Reaction score
As promised from my in laws house with my phone showing" H" and zero bars of signal I am able to hit 2mb down and 1mb up using speedtest.net's server in Aberdeen, Scotland.

I still get internet when I see no bars which is odd. In driving around today the most bars I ever saw was 1 but always had a signal

No issues setting up tmobile, popped the sim card in and selected gsm and the apt was already set up. My only issue has to do with the fact they live in a stone house and the signal can be hit or miss depending on the room, but according to them this happens with with all carriers.