Transfer music from iPod to Droid

prmamidedos

Reaction score
I want to put some of my music on my Droid. I transferred the files to my SD card and put them in a folder labeled "music" but when I go to the Music widget, it says there aren't any files available:icon_evil:. How can I get them to show up?

droid25

Reaction score
Make sure files are mp3. Apple's m4a format won't be recognized.

f00f

Reaction score
Make sure files are mp3. Apple's m4a format won't be recognized.

Hmm really? Maybe there are some that don't play, but I have m4a's (from iTunes) on my Droid that play just fine.

Code:
luser@mbp:[ttys000]/Volumes/DROID/Tunez/Within Temptation/The Heart of Everything (Bonus Track Version)$ file *
01 The Howling.m4a:                      ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
02 What Have You Done (Edit).m4a:        ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
03 Frozen.m4a:                           ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
04 Our Solemn Hour.m4a:                  ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
05 The Heart of Everything.m4a:          ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
06 Hand of Sorrow.m4a:                   ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
07 The Cross.m4a:                        ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
08 Final Destination.m4a:                ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
09 All I Need.m4a:                       ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
10 Stand My Ground.m4a:                  ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
11 The Truth Beneath the Rose.m4a:       ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
12 Forgiven.m4a:                         ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC
13 What Have You Done (Bonus Track).m4a: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AAC-LC

f00f

Reaction score
*.m4p ("protected" m4a files) will not be playable. I copied a few of these over to my Droid and renamed them to .m4a and although that show up in the song list the format is not recognized.

I also have a few custom ringtones from iTunes (*.m4r files) that I copied to the Droid and renamed to .m4a file types. They show up in ringtone lists but also do not play.

Bummer.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
*.m4p ("protected" m4a files) will not be playable. I copied a few of these over to my Droid and renamed them to .m4a and although that show up in the song list the format is not recognized.

I also have a few custom ringtones from iTunes (*.m4r files) that I copied to the Droid and renamed to .m4a file types. They show up in ringtone lists but also do not play.

Bummer.

Your solution is to back away from iTunes and their protected files completely, or find a PC app that can decrypt them.

It is a shame that downloaded MP3 files for free on p2p programs are easier to deal with than paid music from iTunes.

I really don't like how apple forces the iTunes store to sync music with their devices. It makes everything a huge pain in the ass when you deal with every other standard MP3 player.

The easiest solution for you, is to redownload your music as MP3 files from a free source like limewire. You can then easily drag and drop the files onto your droid memory card and you'll be set.

droiduser91

Reaction score
how do you customize your ringtones? by js setting a song from your music playlist or do you have an app that lets you select which part of the song you want?

btrhot

Reaction score
how do you customize your ringtones? by js setting a song from your music playlist or do you have an app that lets you select which part of the song you want?

For the iPhone :iphone: it is easily done from iTunes:
1) Find any m4a format song in your library.
2) Get info on the song and from the dialog box set the start and end time. I believe the maximum is 40 seconds for a ringtone
3) Now make a copy of the song in iTunes, the file size should be much smaller
4) Drag the copy out the desktop, change the suffix to .m4r, then drag back to iTunes. iTunes will put it in the ringtones folder.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score

For the iPhone :iphone: it is easily done from iTunes:
1) Find any m4a format song in your library.
2) Get info on the song and from the dialog box set the start and end time. I believe the maximum is 40 seconds for a ringtone
3) Now make a copy of the song in iTunes, the file size should be much smaller
4) Drag the copy out the desktop, change the suffix to .m4r, then drag back to iTunes. iTunes will put it in the ringtones folder.

The DROID can set ringtones from the media section of the phone, where your music/sounds are. You can always drag and drop files to the DROID memory card. I'm not sure what all you can save through message attachments on the phone, but with the Handcent SMS messaging app (which i consider a huge improvement over the original message feature on the phone) you can hold your finger on the side of a message and save audio/video/pic attachments and everything. The app also has an option to pull all the attachments out of all your messages and save them at once, which is really nice.

So my suggestion: Drag and drop from PC, or use Handcent SMS as your text messaging app and you can easily save the attachments you get.

RingDroid is an app that lets you cut up audio files on the phone (to make them short for ringtones, etc).

Experiment with these methods and im sure you can get your ringtones and such just like you want. I already have a custom ringtone set on my phone using the Handcent SMS method.

If you want to sync your itunes music with the droid, I hear that a pc program or phone app called DoubleTwist will let you do this.

hope some of this helps, good luck.

brian.bsi

Reaction score
Hay all,

I know I buy both drm free and drm music from Itunes. It seems to me I have not yet had a problem with my music playing on my Droid, Podcast as well. I believe this my be because of the program I am using to sync the moto droid with Itunes. It is a great program, works very well, and the basic version is free. It is call media sync @ Salling Software - Home works on pc and mac

I use Rings Extended to tie music to ringtones. Works well also

kenbarnum

Reaction score
Ringdroid is a great app for ringtones. Highly rated and easy to use.

catsailr

Reaction score
Looks like Apple would have learned their lesson. They had a majority of the early PC market but would not let anyone else use their operating system. So we ended up with MS BS OS. If Apple had licensed this OS to others they would probably be in the postion of MS.

JmacHokie

Reaction score

Bummer.

Your solution is to back away from iTunes and their protected files completely, or find a PC app that can decrypt them.

It is a shame that downloaded MP3 files for free on p2p programs are easier to deal with than paid music from iTunes.

I really don't like how apple forces the iTunes store to sync music with their devices. It makes everything a huge pain in the ass when you deal with every other standard MP3 player.

The easiest solution for you, is to redownload your music as MP3 files from a free source like limewire. You can then easily drag and drop the files onto your droid memory card and you'll be set.
I use 2 programs and then found one could do it all. I downloaded Motorola's MediaLink, and then realized the DRM protection on itunes files would not be converted, so I downloaded Daniusoft converter Pro. Daniusoft has a DRM finder tool, it finds all your DRM files, allows you to convert them to a path and format of your choosing. Then all you have to do drop them over onto your Droid. Works for video and music (pro version) both programs are about $30. Well worth it.

catsailr

Reaction score
A workaround method is to burn a CD from iTunes, then rip the CD to MP3 files.

catsailr

Reaction score
I tried burning a CD from iTunes and selected MP3 format, but it wouldn't work. Haven't tried burning a data CD, but it would be in MP4 format.