Trade s3 for nexus?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
why? :icon_eek:

is it because it has that screen wakeup marketing ploy that senses your eyes? :p that thing's about as useful as face unlock on the GN, which i've never used, nor had the desire to. samsung always sticks in a nice sounding, yet realistically useless marketing feature in it's phones :biggrin:

dont be hating on my face unlock :p

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have both phones in my household and I can honestly say the GS3 is a far better phone from a hardware standpoint. Software though, the Nexus wins because of the pure Google experience and ability to root and customize.

Back to the hardware, the S4 processor is a beast and runs much more efficient than the Nexus, leading to a snappy UI and incredible battery life for a Verizon LTE phone. The screen is improved - slightly larger with more accurate colors than the Nexus. The camera completely blew me away. No comparison here, the Nexus is complete crap compared to the GS3. Best camera I've tested on a phone so far. Last but not least, the radios also seem to be much improved for a Samsung phone. Not a single issue so far - in fact I don't think I've seen it slip out of 4g yet.

I would get this phone in a heartbeat, if not for my need to tinker with software. I don't like hacked work-arounds so the locked bootloader is a deal breaker for me. The only hope for this phone is if something useful can be pulled from the Verizon Developer Edition.

Just wait for the samsung galaxy s3 nexus.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Just wait for the samsung galaxy s3 nexus.
Naw... I'm waiting for the Moto Nexus! =D I still think Moto has better build quality than Sammy. I still love Sammy though. :p

I have both phones in my household and I can honestly say the GS3 is a far better phone from a hardware standpoint. Software though, the Nexus wins because of the pure Google experience and ability to root and customize.

Back to the hardware, the S4 processor is a beast and runs much more efficient than the Nexus, leading to a snappy UI and incredible battery life for a Verizon LTE phone. The screen is improved - slightly larger with more accurate colors than the Nexus. The camera completely blew me away. No comparison here, the Nexus is complete crap compared to the GS3. Best camera I've tested on a phone so far. Last but not least, the radios also seem to be much improved for a Samsung phone. Not a single issue so far - in fact I don't think I've seen it slip out of 4g yet.

I would get this phone in a heartbeat, if not for my need to tinker with software. I don't like hacked work-arounds so the locked bootloader is a deal breaker for me. The only hope for this phone is if something useful can be pulled from the Verizon Developer Edition.
My thoughts exactly. There are two S3s in my household and to say that the Nexus stock is better than the S3 stock would be a pretty big stretch of the truth! :happy3:
However...for what *I* want/need, the Nexus wins any day! DancingNexus A big killer on the S3 is why they didn't just go with softkeys. :blink: I love my softkeys! :rockon: :p

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The s3 has the same screen res as the GN, but over a larger area. :icon_eek:

What are you implying here? Because they have the same resolution, that the Nexus looks better because it has a smaller screen? You're mistaken if you think that's how it works.

While the Nexus actually has a slight higher pixel density (GN: 316 vs. GS3: 306), it's using an older screen technology. The pixel density is indistinguishable to the naked eye so that's a wash. What you can see with the naked eye is how much more vibrant the screen is and how much more accurate the colors are. Blacks are blacker and whites are....less yellow? Anyway, they both have amazing screens in my opinion, but the GS3 is definitely better in side-by-side tests...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What are you implying here? Because they have the same resolution, that the Nexus looks better because it has a smaller screen? You're mistaken if you think that's how it works.

While the Nexus actually has a slight higher pixel density (GN: 316 vs. GS3: 306), it's using an older screen technology. The pixel density is indistinguishable to the naked eye so that's a wash. What you can see with the naked eye is how much more vibrant the screen is and how much more accurate the colors are. Blacks are blacker and whites are....less yellow? Anyway, they both have amazing screens in my opinion, but the GS3 is definitely better in side-by-side tests...

Had the sg3 the screen is better than the nexus. I just prefer the clean feel of vanilla android. Still the sg3 is an awesome device.

Reaction score

I'm not implying anything, I clearly stated that the sg3 screen res isn't as good. I noticed it, so its not a wash to me. As far as newer screen tech, the sg3 simply has colors that are more oversaturated, and that's a purely subjective difference. For me, the gn colors are already oversaturated enough. :)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, so disregard all that garbage I said the other day about trading for the Nexus. The GS3 bootloader has been cracked. This is THE device to have right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the line is around the block for one lol.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, so disregard all that garbage I said the other day about trading for the Nexus. The GS3 bootloader has been cracked. This is THE device to have right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

:O oh my... I need one stat

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;33DoSZuS1ao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33DoSZuS1ao&feature=player_embedded[/video]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
^ Uh yer gonna have to translate! :p Still looks like cheezewiz UI to me!

I dont speak spanish either lol. But I saw 4.1.1 in video. I expect them to keep touchwiz. When I had my sg3 i put apex launcher on it.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I like both phones. The galaxy s3 is really light (I thought the nexus was really light) and the s3 feels great in your hands, but I hate all the skins these companies put on these phones. Samsung's touchwiz to me feels very cartoonish. I've had Motorolas, HTC, never a Samsung except the nexus.

Touchwiz really bothers me. And I know that you can customize your phone to make it look different, but that for me is where the nexus wins. It's the first android I've had where I tried downloading different launchers and I deleted them after two minutes. It feels better stock and I don't want to change anything about it visually.

Now idk how great battery life is on the s3, but I bet it's not that much better than the nexus, and I'm sure performance is about the same. The biggest advantage with nexus is that you'll always have an up to date device.

I'm waiting to see what will happen with Motorola now that Google took over and fired 4000 people and claimed that they will focus on one device a year.