Topographical Maps (for those who care)

zegwin

Reaction score
OK. So I noticed a few people wanted topographical maps on their droids. Well I more or less have a round about way of getting them for free.

1) Install Google Earth (4.X or greater)
2) Download and open DDS Map Finder (Free USGS Topo Maps & USGS Quad Index for Topo Maps)
3) Open and use DDS Map Finder in Google Earth to find the 7.5 minute map you want and download it to your pc (it is a tif file)
4) Convert to PNG and put on your phone as an image.

Yah it is not the "easiest" way to do it but it will work for me. Let me know if I did anything wrong. I don't have a droid yet so I cant prove this hypothesis but so far I have the maps I want on my computer and the second I get the droid (mid december) I will have them on there.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong spot.

Last edited:

rpervier

Reaction score
OK. So I noticed a few people wanted topographical maps on their droids. Well I more or less have a round about way of getting them for free.

1) Install Google Earth (4.X or greater)
2) Download and open DDS Map Finder (Free USGS Topo Maps & USGS Quad Index for Topo Maps)
3) Open and use DDS Map Finder in Google Earth to find the 7.5 minute map you want and download it to your pc (it is a tif file)
4) Convert to PNG and put on your phone as an image.

Yah it is not the "easiest" way to do it but it will work for me. Let me know if I did anything wrong. I don't have a droid yet so I cant prove this hypothesis but so far I have the maps I want on my computer and the second I get the droid (mid december) I will have them on there.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong spot.
only problem with this idea is that currently google earth for android does not allow opening files. It only downloads the sat image files from the online google earth site as you need them. This doesn't allow using downloaded images like you can do on the PC. Hopefully that will change.