To root or not to root?

lushen

Reaction score
Thinking about rooting and adding a froyo Rom... I'm kind of worried about it can someone give me the pros/cons...
Thanks in advance.
-lu

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pros:

• Opening up your phones full potential
  • learning more than you ever hoped to about how your phone works
  • Over Clocking
  • Tethering
  • Better Battery Life
Cons:

• Getting addicted to flashing the newest ROM
  • Dealing with bugs (dropped calls & camera not working) especially with a FroYo ROM that your phone was never designed to run
  • Taking the chance that your phone is the 1 in 1,000,000 that gets bricked
  • Worse Battery Life
Its a choice you are going to have to make. There are a lot of people here who will help you through it, but you need to make that decision.

mattamous

Reaction score
So, other than adding different roms, are there big pros just rooting? Or, does it even make sense to root without doing roms? Really don't want to brick my phone!

gary73

Reaction score
Wireless tether for free.like it should be

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Threeball

Reaction score
In addition to wifi tethering, the ability to overclock and underclock is pretty big. Plus the ability to make backups.

Sent from my ERIS using DroidForums App

mattamous

Reaction score
Rooting sounds like the way to go then. What's the idea behind overclocking?

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

Threeball

Reaction score
Overclocking means you give extra juice to the processor which speeds things up. Underclocking is the opposite. There r apps that allow u to overclock when u need better performance and underclock when u don't to save the battery.

mattamous

Reaction score
After rooting, what all will I loose? Apps, contacts, settings...?

Aram58

Reaction score
You'll loose your family, job, friends etc.. having root/Flashing roms is like coke.

you won't lose anything by rooting. You might have to wipe your phone before you flash a rom.

Sent from my stunning rooted droid using tapatalk.

mattamous

Reaction score
Just finished rooting. What apps are "needed" to overclock/underclock and tethering? Also, are there any other apps that would be good to have after rooting?

Thanks for all the help prior and now!

Threeball

Reaction score
Just finished rooting. What apps are "needed" to overclock/underclock and tethering? Also, are there any other apps that would be good to have after rooting?

Thanks for all the help prior and now!

U asked about losing data earlier. If u flash a ROM, you'll have to do a full wipe. Download Titanium Backup and backup all apps and data to get around this.

For overclocking, the most popular app is SetCPU. Its a paid app in the market. If you Google 'xda setcpu' you'll find a link to download it. If u like it tho u should pay for it.

Then, in the market, search for 'wireless tether'. It'll be the first in the list.

Good luck!

mattamous

Reaction score
Thanks! I actually downloaded both of those this morning and so far, the tethering works great! I havent messed with setcpu much just yet. I might give it a while before I look into ROMs. Still enough of a noob that I am a little sketched, as I said earlier.