to anyone who upgraded from D1 to D2

Reaction score
so the comment about its going to slow down once you add your apps....you have them all from the start. yeah more will come out but how many are you really going to download?
Aw man, I was wondering when someone would spot the hole in my logic. :( I really don't have a rebuttal, other than sometimes the slowdowns--irrespective of app count--seem to correlate with phone up-time. The longer the phone is running, the more likely there are lags (at least in my experience). In other words, it seems like the D1 is always fast after a battery pull or restart, but then slows down over time.

-Matt

The only way i can really see that is cause android is completely clean, its not managing or watching idling apps. But at the same time idle apps take up no cpu and barely any memory.

I know quadrant scores aren't as reliable as we used to think they were but i ran one yesterday without a reboot and the i rebooted and reran a benchmark. The scores came in at about 100 apart which really isn't much. And that probably accounts for the little loss of memory for the idle apps.

Dan_08

Reaction score
I have a rooted D1, I just got my wife the D2.

1)The camera is about the same (take pictures outside and keep your hands steady!)

2)Speeds are close, D2 was faster at first now it lags big time! Mainly because my wife has live wallpapers and ton's of widgets up. My D1 has always been steady running 1ghz Kernel.

3) I am probably one of the few that actually like the D1 keyboard, the D2 feels like pushing on little plastic bubbles.

4) Upgrade? I didn't that's why I got my wife one. But she loves it.

The D2 is nice but until it gets rooted, it's jut another Smartphone. If rooting is not your thing then go for it.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I have a rooted D1, I just got my wife the D2.

1)The camera is about the same (take pictures outside and keep your hands steady!)

2)Speeds are close, D2 was faster at first now it lags big time! Mainly because my wife has live wallpapers and ton's of widgets up. My D1 has always been steady running 1ghz Kernel.

3) I am probably one of the few that actually like the D1 keyboard, the D2 feels like pushing on little plastic bubbles.

4) Upgrade? I didn't that's why I got my wife one. But she loves it.

The D2 is nice but until it gets rooted, it's jut another Smartphone. If rooting is not your thing then go for it.

How's your battery life runnin at 1ghz? Are you using a UTL kernal?

Dan_08

Reaction score

It's not bad, I can get a full (12hr) day out of normal use (light talk/ text/ e-mail, maybe check weather). But if I play any kind of games or heavy surfing then it will drain pretty quick. I use a standard kernel, my phone didn't like the low voltages at 1ghz.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score

It's not bad, I can get a full (12hr) day out of normal use (light talk/ text/ e-mail, maybe check weather). But if I play any kind of games or heavy surfing then it will drain pretty quick. I use a standard kernel, my phone didn't like the low voltages at 1ghz.

Yeah, i've heard that a lot about he ULV kernals. I run my phone pretty hard, like the little computer it is. I'm sure I would drain the heck out of it at 1ghz. I do have an extended battery. But even at 800mhz, it wasn't lasting as long. 2.2 put a little drain on the battery as well. Good to know though, thanks!

dcw9ma

Reaction score
Comparison of d2 with d1

I got a couple of drops of water on my d1 and it was unrepairable. Got a good deal on a d2 replacement even though I was short of two years. D2 is so much faster than d1 both on internet and flash. Manual keyboard is a quantum leap forward. However, I cannot dial hands free on my blue tooth device. When I key the device in my car, the voice comman app on my phone comes on but just on the phone. Wont' connect to the blue tooth device until after dialing. My d1 stock voice dialer worked very well and voice dialed right on my bluetooth device. Unfortunately that app is not available on d2. In addition, on d1 I was able to post individual phone number shortcuts on my home page. On d2 you have to shortcut the entire contact and then choose the number you want after you open the contact. I seem to be getting shorter battery life, but I think that is because I am playing with the phone much more in trying to get it set up the way I like it.