Exchanging D2 for a D1?

Big0013

Reaction score
i was recently upgraded from my droid 1 to a droid 2 free of charge when I did a warranty exchange. Due to all the limits set in place by motorola (efuse) I just want my D1 back. It was nice to get upgraded but I'm ready to get my droid back, I just love hacking and pushing it further everyday with the new roms and kernels that come out. I was wanting to know if anyone else was feeling the same way and if so has anyone worked with verizon on getting there D1 back and if they gave you any grief about it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Big0013

Reaction score
That's funny. You must not like hacking. The d2 is a great looking phone and runs cool. But I would have to respectfully decline your offer to trade due to warranty issues.

OP
B

Big0013

Reaction score
Does anyone see light at the end of the tunnel or have any insight as far as getting the bootloader unlocked for the D2.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon doesn't have a lot of decent D1s left...you might be able to get them to send you a D1 refurb to replace your D2, but I went through 6 D1 refurbs that ranged from sort of mostly working to inoperable when I was trying to replace my D1...I've seen posts from others who've experienced the same. If you start the trade process you may end up in a worse place IMHO.

I know there aren't many D2 ROMs now (just two that I know of, version 2.5 of one was released tonight - [ROM]Epic Unleashed 2.5! Blur-Be-Gone spray to get rid of those bugs! - Android Forums) but I think you'd be better off keeping the D2 and seeing where things go in terms of ROMs...if they don't become comon enough, you can always sell/trade the D2 for a D1 easily later on.

D2 is a superior HW platform to the D1, ROMs are likely to start coming as the D2 population grows (a CyanogenMod ROM is being worked on already), kernels are not as relevant given the much faster CPU in the D2 and it doesn't get cooked when running - overclocking on the D1 was driven by the fact that it was so much slower at native speed.

Good luck whichever way you end up...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone see light at the end of the tunnel or have any insight as far as getting the bootloader unlocked for the D2.

The focus on the bootloader is misplaced...the D2 is eminently hackable...you can root, run custom recovery, load custom ROMs, remove programs, edit build.prop, run wireless tether...the phone is already faster than an overclocked D1 and much less likely to get bogged down due to memory issues or overheat.

What do you believe you are missing due to locked bootloader?

Last edited:
OP
B

Big0013

Reaction score
Thanks for the input it's much appreciated. The D2 is still in its infancy so I think I might be better off hanging on to it just to see where it goes cause its not every day verizon gives you a brand new upgraded phone. I guess in the mean time I will just have to jack my old ladies D1 until they come out with some decent roms.

OP
B

Big0013

Reaction score
I have my D2 rooted and setcpu installed to underclock for battery life. on the bootloader question there are in the future going to be more roms out there that are going to be able to push this phone to the next level but will need different kernels to support those features.

The focus on the bootloader is misplaced...the D2 is eminently hackable...you can root, run custom recovery, load custom ROMs, remove programs, edit build.prop, run wireless tether...the phone is already faster than an overclocked D1 and much less likely to get bogged down due to memory issues or overheat.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want to play...and I know the feeling...I had fun applying a theme last night, the one from 928Droid.

The fun part is that there is a deodexed version of the theme available (which is better), and to install the deodexed version you have to deodex your phone. Oooo... :)

So...you could get Xultimate and deodex your D2, then apply the theme. That'll kill a few hours and you'll end up with a much cooler phone.

It is one of the best themes I've ever seen...really cool.

Side benefit is that deodexing can have a positive impact on your D2's speed as well.

Theme post (get the Deodexed version): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/928droid/78456-theme-928droid-black-glass-x-droid-2-a.html

Xultimate download and instructions (from the Theme thread): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/92...oid-black-glass-x-droid-2-a-4.html#post810362

Enjoy... :D

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you listen to the ROM devs, and I do, they are the ones saying that the locked bootloader is a really non-issue...

I have my D2 rooted and setcpu installed to underclock for battery life. on the bootloader question there are in the future going to be more roms out there that are going to be able to push this phone to the next level but will need different kernels to support those features.

OP
B

Big0013

Reaction score
Thank you for all the input. It sounds like a great place to start. I would love to see a watermarkd theme ported over to the d2 in the future and be able to hook up to the wii to stream some net flix via my d2 wirelessly. Tether currently supports ad hoc, but I believe all those are possible without altering the kernel due to the fact is already has a built in 3g hotspot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

OP
B

Big0013

Reaction score
So what is it the kernel does other than control the processing speed and wifi capability.

everstar80

Reaction score
I know that some people that went from the D1 to the D2 are upset about not being able to root the D2 but give it some time. Its only been a month. Someone will find a way to root (Imo I never will) and with future updates that you'll have a better experience with the D2?

OP
B

Big0013

Reaction score
I know that some people that went from the D1 to the D2 are upset about not being able to root the D2 but give it some time. Its only been a month. Someone will find a way to root (Imo I never will) and with future updates that you'll have a better experience with the D2?

The droid 2 has been rooted. That's not what I was concerned about, but thanks anyway.