to anyone who upgraded from D1 to D2

solar

Reaction score
I know its mostly the same hardware but:

1) Is the camera any beter? (I know its the same hardware, i'm just hoping against logic)

2) can you tell the processor speed difference?

3)Which keyboard do you like better?

4) worth the upgrade?

I would do he DX, but i'm a keyboard lover. :)

brsmith23

Reaction score
To answer your questions:

1) No. The LED flash seems a lot brighter though, but that could just be me.

2) Most definitely. Imagine how much faster an iPhone is than your droid. D2's comparable, if not better than.. IMO.

3) I used to hate the D1 on-screen keyboard. I love the upgraded keyboard on the D2. The physical QWERTY takes a little getting used to as the removal of the D-pad made it a lot wider, and the keys are in different locations. I'm getting used to it and getting to like it.

4) Hell yes.

Davinci

Reaction score
I would agree

1. No difference in camera.

2. Yes, I can tell the difference with speed.

3. I can actually use the D2 keyboard. My fingers were too big for D1.

4. I did the upgrade and am glad I did. However if this phone is not rooted I won't be because I really enjoyed (and miss) wireless tethering.

The 8 Gb internal is cool as well. Also, although there isn't much of a physical difference I like the look and feel of the D2 better.

Reaction score
I got my D2 cause of my insurance on the phone since my D1's screen died. And i got it today.

1. Haven't used the camera yet

2. Yeah its faster

3. I'm getting used the keyboard. I was one of the few that liked the d1's keyboard. As i'm getting used to it i am liking it more and more. But its still common for me to hit the wrong button or double hit the alt lock button from habit.

4. I got mine cause of my insurance on it. I had the choice between this or the X and i chose this cause i liked my d1 so much and i still wanted a keyboard.

brock

Reaction score
how about rooted/overclocked droid 1 vs droid 2 speed difference?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I know its mostly the same hardware but:

1) Is the camera any beter? (I know its the same hardware, i'm just hoping against logic)

4) worth the upgrade?

I would do he DX, but i'm a keyboard lover. :)
It would be nice if--besides noting whether you OC'd your D1--owners also note how many days/weeks you've had the D2. I'll bet that the greater speed you are enjoying right now is a luxury of new-phone ownership. As your D2 gets broken in and you add more apps, you'll probably be back with complaints like "How come my phone seems to hang for 5 seconds when I go back to the home screen?" I've seen it with the D1, the DX, and the DInc. Just the nature of the beast!
-Matt

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really thinking about the D2, but I want to make sure I'll be happy with a "step-up" upgrade instead of a "full-on new style phone" upgrade. I love my D1 (even the keyboard) (though my LG touch had a better keyboard!). A keyboard is a must for me though, so my options are indeed limited. getting more speed and more memory is just about a good enough reason also. I liked the Dpad though, even though a lot of people didn't use it. I'm not sure if the arrow keys will work as well, but I guess its a trade off for a wider KB. :motdroidhoriz:

guyinlaca

Reaction score
If you rooted and put a custom rom on your Droid 1, then you will see very little improvement on the Droid 2 except for the keyboard.

At first, the phone was blazing fast, but with all the MotoBlur add-ons and after running a lot of apps, the phone has slowed significantly.

My Droid 1 had 4-10 apps running in the background, whereas the Droid 2 has 11-23. It's definitely a memory hog, and I'm not one to download hundreds of pointless novelty apps.

Overall, if you have an upgrade and your Droid 1 is on it's last leg, go for the Droid 2. DO NOT spend more than $200 on this phone though. Simply put, they simply polished the Droid 1, but if you're looking to be impressed, the Droid 2 probably will not UNLESS you are comparing stock 1 and stock 2 setups.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Went to the VzW store yesterday to look at the D2, mainly checking on pet peeves.

The screen still activates with a very small opening of the screen over the physical keyboard, and the backing on the D2 seems to be the same pocket-clinging rubber as the D1, so pocket unlocks are possible. I recently started using the pattern password unlock, not to secure my phone, but to prevent pocket unlocks. Now, I find that I'm pocket emergency dialing. I haven't gotten all the way to a call, but I have heard dialing digits and retrieved my phone from my pocket with a partially dialed number. I was hoping that the gap to open the physical keyboard and cause the screen to activate would be wider based on usabilty feedback Motorola could easily find on forums.

Based on what I've seen, there seems to be no extra effort put into holding the battery door shut. The display models have P-touch labels across their backs and a security device which prevents any hands on testing of the ease to cause the battery door to open unintentionally.

Running a D1 rooted on 2.2 at 800, I'm not seeing vast differences. However, I have novelty that is still wearing off. Up until a ridiculous three weeks ago, I was still running DroidMod. I got spooked by a failed ClockworkRecovery EBCAK, but the recent push of a fake DM Updater was enough to push me to get the Clockwork install right and get on stock 2.2 with SU. There are enough things different from DM to 2.2 that the afterglow is still keeping my D1 satisfaction level very high.

My son wants to wait for Android 3, and I think a D1 at 800 on 2.2 is enough to keep me going for now.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
^^ +1, what the last two guys said.

I hate to squash the "ZOMFG my Droid 2 is so much faster than my D1" stories but if you OC the D1 well, it should be more than enough to get you through your contract!

-Matt

msand

Reaction score
Its similar you will not notice much difference.

Oh yes, on the D1 i would get force close on almost all apps periodically on the d2 I have not received a single force close. The apps open instantly and everything just runs so much smoother.

The D2 takes a little getting used to. I was frustrated at first however now I seem to like it more. Seems more user friendly.

4) worth the upgrade?

Yes it is, the speed is incredible.

Reaction score
I had my D1 overclocked to 800-1000 and i still feel that the d2 opens apps faster, it most definitely loads web pages faster, and i havent had a single hiccup

as far as the comment about the apps, 2.2 keeps the log of your downloaded apps and when you switch to the new device it redownloads all your apps automatically. so the comment about its going to slow down once you add your apps....you have them all from the start. yeah more will come out but how many are you really going to download?

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
If you rooted and put a custom rom on your Droid 1, then you will see very little improvement on the Droid 2 except for the keyboard.

At first, the phone was blazing fast, but with all the MotoBlur add-ons and after running a lot of apps, the phone has slowed significantly.

My Droid 1 had 4-10 apps running in the background, whereas the Droid 2 has 11-23. It's definitely a memory hog, and I'm not one to download hundreds of pointless novelty apps.

Overall, if you have an upgrade and your Droid 1 is on it's last leg, go for the Droid 2. DO NOT spend more than $200 on this phone though. Simply put, they simply polished the Droid 1, but if you're looking to be impressed, the Droid 2 probably will not UNLESS you are comparing stock 1 and stock 2 setups.

I was rooted at 800mHz, but am not at the moment because of issues lag issues where I had to wipe my phone, clearing the cache, etc. I never did run a custom rom, though. So, maybe I would feel the speed. I can guess, like the D1, it will slow down with use. I use mine like a mini notebook.

Wouldn't using a custom rom on a phone running nativly at 1ghz feel even faster then a D1 overclocked with custom rom? I'm just asking, i've naver tried it. oh, and I definitely won't pay mor then $200 for it. :)

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Went to the VzW store yesterday to look at the D2, mainly checking on pet peeves.

The screen still activates with a very small opening of the screen over the physical keyboard, and the backing on the D2 seems to be the same pocket-clinging rubber as the D1, so pocket unlocks are possible. I recently started using the pattern password unlock, not to secure my phone, but to prevent pocket unlocks. Now, I find that I'm pocket emergency dialing. I haven't gotten all the way to a call, but I have heard dialing digits and retrieved my phone from my pocket with a partially dialed number. I was hoping that the gap to open the physical keyboard and cause the screen to activate would be wider based on usabilty feedback Motorola could easily find on forums.

Based on what I've seen, there seems to be no extra effort put into holding the battery door shut. The display models have P-touch labels across their backs and a security device which prevents any hands on testing of the ease to cause the battery door to open unintentionally.

Running a D1 rooted on 2.2 at 800, I'm not seeing vast differences. However, I have novelty that is still wearing off. Up until a ridiculous three weeks ago, I was still running DroidMod. I got spooked by a failed ClockworkRecovery EBCAK, but the recent push of a fake DM Updater was enough to push me to get the Clockwork install right and get on stock 2.2 with SU. There are enough things different from DM to 2.2 that the afterglow is still keeping my D1 satisfaction level very high.

My son wants to wait for Android 3, and I think a D1 at 800 on 2.2 is enough to keep me going for now.

I'm a holster nerd, so at least those issues won't affect me.:)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
so the comment about its going to slow down once you add your apps....you have them all from the start. yeah more will come out but how many are you really going to download?
Aw man, I was wondering when someone would spot the hole in my logic. :( I really don't have a rebuttal, other than sometimes the slowdowns--irrespective of app count--seem to correlate with phone up-time. The longer the phone is running, the more likely there are lags (at least in my experience). In other words, it seems like the D1 is always fast after a battery pull or restart, but then slows down over time.

-Matt